walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Linlithgow to Edinburgh (Lochrin Basin)

Linlithgow to Edinburgh (Lochrin Basin)

Postby Alba Bhoy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Route description: Slateford to Ratho

Date walked: 27/04/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 35 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 27th April 2013, walked Linlithgow to Edinburgh along the Union canal. OS Landranger map 65 but given the obvious canal path you hardly need look at the OS map. Start 0910, finish 1600, distance 21.5 miles.
If you're reading this and either planning, or doing, LEJOG or The Scottish National Trail then I'd suggest you make Edinburgh your base for a couple of days as you walk the canals from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Edinburgh has plenty of accom and if you book in advance you should be able to get a cheap room in e.g a Travelodge or Premier Inn.
The advantage of staying in Edinburgh is you can leave your backpack in your accom and walk the canal with just a day bag. Makes the going so much easier and quicker.
The main railway route between Edinburgh and Glasgow runs very close to the canal. Stations at Linlithgow and Falkirk High are almost within touching distance of the Union Canal.
I live in Edinburgh so the attraction of walking from Linlithgow to Edinburgh is that, for me, I'm walking home. Home means a nice shower at the end of the walk and no waiting for trains while all sweaty!
I took the train to Linlithgow - www.scotrail.co.uk - which takes just under 20 minutes from Edinburgh. It's a very regular service on this route.
Come out of the station car park at Linlithgow, turn right, walk up the hill for about a minute and you're at the canal. No need for a map re navigation, just keep walking along the canal towpath and eventually you'll reach Edinburgh!
Nice easy walking out of Linlithgow. Canal towpath ideal for walking. And being the canal, it was beautifully flat! Nice day, predominantly blue skies. Nice views north, over what looked good quality farmland towards the Ochils.
Daffodil lined Union Canal, near Linlithgow - Copy.JPG
Daffodil lined Union Canal near Linlithgow

After Philipstoun, the canal entered a cutting which made things a bit cooler. Lots more trees in this stretch between Philpstoun and Winchburgh and being a cutting, views were a bit restricted. Given the trees this could be a nice stretch in the Autumn.
The first shale bings also come into view in this stretch though you get a better views of the bings as you approach Winchburgh and head towards Broxburn.
Niddry Castle near Winchburgh with a Bing behind it - Copy.JPG
Niddry Castle, near Winchburgh, with a Bing behind it and Edinburgh Glasgow train in front.

Leaving Winchburgh, heading towards Broxburn, you'll also see several more bings, a legacy of the shale mining carried out in this part of Scotland in times past. Bings are the waste left over from the shale mining.
Another bing near Wichburgh.jpg
Ying and yang - farmland and bing between Winchburgh and Broxburn

You also get good views of the Pentland Hills, to the south of Edinburgh, as you head towards Broxburn.
Exit Broxburn and you go under the M8 before the canal continues east towards Edinburgh through more good farmland. As you exit Broxburn, heading towards Edinburgh, you've completed about half this distance.
Almost halfway.jpg
Almost half way

The Almond aqueduct carries the canal over the River Almond and offers nice views looking downstream.
View down to the River Almond from the Almond aqueduct - Copy.JPG
View down to the River Almond from the Almond aqueduct

You soon arrive at the Edinburgh International Climbing Arena. EICA is only a few metres off the canal and well worth a visit.
Built inside an old quarry - Copy.JPG
EICA built inside an old quarry

Wonderful building and fantastic resource. Stopped there for 30 minutes for a coffee and scone. Very impressive place. Check out http://www.eica-ratho.co.uk/
Long way down - Copy.JPG
It's a long way down!

Leave there and you soon pass through Ratho.
Boats berthed at Ratho - Copy.JPG
Boats berthed at Ratho

Path becomes wider here than it was earlier, also more of it is tarmac so wee bit harder on the feet.
Timeline - Copy.JPG
Timeline beside the canal to the East of Ratho

Exit Ratho and the canal is soon (about 1 hour from Ratho) crossing over the City of Edinburgh bypass.
Canal crosses over the City of Edinburgh bypass - Copy.JPG
Canal crossing over the City of Edinburgh bypass

That's you into Edinburgh western outskirts.
Canal path gets busier here with cyclists and dog walkers. Pass above the Water of Leith on another aqeuduct, where you can look down on the Water of Leith Visitor Centre, before the last stretch into the canal terminus at Lochrin Basin.
Nearly home when I can see Edinburgh Castle - Copy.JPG
Edinburgh castle coming into view

Given the good weather today this was a very pleasant walk. Nice way to break in my new boots!
Alba Bhoy
Mountaineer

Munros:207   
Islands:31

Re: Linlithgow to Edinburgh (Lochrin Basin)

Postby cecilsson » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:14 pm

I enjoyed reading your post. I am planning a 'bucket list' trip to Scotland next May to celebrate my 60th birthday. I do plan to hike the West Highland Way and climb a few munros and was planning on doing another hike but am reconsidering. I have ancestors who came to Canada from Scotland and I would like to visit the towns of their birth - two of which are Linlithgow and Bo'Ness.
The information you have provided will be helpful in my planning.
Thanks.
cecilsson
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland