walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Midsummer walk 2013

Midsummer walk 2013

Postby basscadet » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 21/06/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 1032m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So every year I try and do an overnight walk on the solstice, the aim being to catch the midsummer sunrise from the top of a fine hill. :D The past few years have not been kind weather-wise, and last years attempt, saw the wettest night I have ever spent, with no views for my efforts.. :( Hopefully this year would be different. :thumbup:
So I met up with Dougie on Thursday night. Sunny’s wheel bearings were making a racket, so we met at Lochearnhead where I parked Sunny up at the old garage and we continued on to Inverarnan for the night, in Dougie’s car. The food was great, the cabin we booked was unfortunately not midge proof. :-x

Bhuidhe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A relaxed morning saw us on the road to Loch Fyne, and we were on the track up the glen by the back of lunchtime. The damp conditions of the morning gave way to prolonged sunny spells, and the scenery was so bonny, we were in high spirits indeed. :D
The track passes by a wee hydro station and then through some gravel pits with machinery humming and a stark contrast between the hills of gravel and the green hills beyond.

On the map I had spotted a possibly more direct route up Beinn Bhuidhe, so we decided to go up that way. Soon after the gravel stacks, we took the track left at the fork

and found ourselves in dense pine forests, the coolness of the shade most welcome.

We were hearing a very untranquil sound, and once out of the forest, we found it was some forestry workers with a pneumatic drill, carving out a track on the opposite side of the glen. Looked to be an ugly scar. :shock:

We continued up an easy gradient to where the track ends on the map. It crossed the glen and went up to the right, but we were wanting to veer left and made our way across the lumpy, mossy ground, looking for our route up to the bealach above. We decided to follow a stream up, the going really steep, and craggy bits were sometimes avoided, sometimes scrambled over.

Hot work, but not really that much ascent before we were up on a plateau - a very lumpy plateau – you know the sort where you cant see whether its best to go over or round. :roll: Coupled with the very spongy ground, it was a leg tiring experience.

Ben Bhuidh was in view and we stopped for snacks and debated from afar the best way through the crags. Once closer though, we changed our mind and just went straight up a burn/gully to what looked like the summit.

It was really tough going now we had taken on enough water for the evening, but again not that much of a climb. What I thought was the summit, turned out not to be, but it wasn’t far along, and the path up there takes quite a nice route up the ridge. 8)
At the summit, we kicked the sheep turds to the side, and set up the tent.

It was a beautiful evening, with all clouds gradually disappearing and the light constantly changing. We were in high hopes of a bonny sunrise, despite the forecast..

About 10 O’clock, the rain that had been forecast for midnight hit. The wind got awful gusty for a while too, but I had the alarm set for before sunrise and we went to bed early – still optimistic. :roll:
I awoke at 4.. The rain was thundering down on the tent with quite some velocity. :shock: I answered a call of nature, and got absolutely drenched. Couldn’t see 10 yards, let alone a sunrise! I stayed up for an hour or so, but definitely nothing worth seeing.. :( Oh well, this rubbish weather for the solstice is becoming a tradition in itself! :thumbup:
We slept a couple more hours, then waited all morning for the rain to ease off before packing up.

We just took the baggers path down the hill, the going not any easier than the way we came up.

Things had got very boggy, and the steep sections were burns. :? Further down, there are some amazing waterfalls, and you know how I like them, so I was a happy bunny. :D

The path is steep, and there was a tricky, slippery scramble that was a bit difficult with the big packs, but we were soon down to the track - the sun deciding to put in an appearance. :)
A bit further down the glen, we saw a bridge with an intriguing wee cottage the other side, so we went to explore. It was locked, but the window at the back was absent. :twisted: We found the place all set out for a party!

Barrels of beer, barbecue stuff, gas oven, and a big box of kettle chips. Not really at that moment in the mood for partying, we left with satisfied curiosities- Maybe belongs to the brewery down the glen. :o
We got our stomp on after that, partly because it started raining again which killed the need to dilly dally. Along past a wee settlement on a tarmac stretch and across some farmland, back to the Gravel pits.

When we got back to the car, we found that we had parked in a rather large puddle.. Then we found out the battery was dead, and car wouldn’t start.. So much for taking the reliable car! Not a very good end to what had been a surprisingly enjoyable wee wander considering how much rain fell. Maybe next year the weather will be better.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Midsummer walk 2013

Postby PeteR » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Some nice views from the summit :D , but a shame about the rain either side :( I saw hee haw from this hill when I eventually got to the summit on my third attempt :lol: It's one of those tough b****rs that makes you work for it, that's for sure :roll:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:176   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 am

Its a shame about the weather!! But great effort :D :D Had been thinking to do the same, but was not long back from holidays myself and could not take time off work...well as you said, there will be another year :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:62   Corbetts:25
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm

There were a few wee glimpses of mid-summer weather in there! And Dougie looks like he'd sampled the contents of one of those barrels! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Graeme D wrote:And Dougie looks like he'd sampled the contents of one of those barrels!

Sadly, I hadn't... imagine how I would look if I had :shock: :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:54
Grahams:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby old danensian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Always an entertaining read BC, no matter what the conditions and how frustrating they appear to be.

The only thing I saw on this one was cloud and a first meeting with Mr Doggett and Co.

Surprised there was no mention of the brewery - or is that to be the subject of a separate report.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:64
Donalds:9
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:150   

Postby basscadet » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 pm

PeteR wrote:Some nice views from the summit :D , but a shame about the rain either side :( I saw hee haw from this hill when I eventually got to the summit on my third attempt :lol: It's one of those tough b****rs that makes you work for it, that's for sure :roll:

Aye, the hills in this part of the world are right lumpy, and that makes for tough walking :? Rightbonny though, like something off a shortbread tin :D

Mountainlove wrote:Its a shame about the weather!! But great effort :D :D Had been thinking to do the same, but was not long back from holidays myself and could not take time off work...well as you said, there will be another year :clap:

Well next year, solstice falls at the weekend! I feel a WH mini meet coming on! Hell Yeah!
LeithySuburbs wrote:
Graeme D wrote:And Dougie looks like he'd sampled the contents of one of those barrels!

Sadly, I hadn't... imagine how I would look if I had :shock: :lol:
:lol:

I can confirm that Dougie only had one tin of cider the whole weekend.. The majority of which, he spilt inside the tent :? So now my kit makes me small like an alky :lol:

old danensian wrote:Always an entertaining read BC, no matter what the conditions and how frustrating they appear to be.

The only thing I saw on this one was cloud and a first meeting with Mr Doggett and Co.

Surprised there was no mention of the brewery - or is that to be the subject of a separate report.

OD

Glad you are enjoying the spate of reports.. :) Body is telling me I need a rest, and car needs some major work, so looks like a weekend off is on order :(

As for the brewery, the flat battery put us well behind schedule, so we didn't have time :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mgmt! » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Nice report there, had the same experience myself on a Corbett top in glen lochay , wind got so bad I tried to move my single pole tent at 1.30am, only to snap my pole !!!! No views at sunrise !! Then a 3.5 hour wait for my Munro bagging friends who got a tad lost in the clagg next day. Roll on next year
Last edited by mgmt! on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby mgmt! » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:24 pm

mgmt! wrote:Nice report there, had the same experience myself on a Corbett top in glen lochay , wind got so bad I tried to move my single pole tent at 1.30am, only to snap my pole !!!! No views at sunrise !! Then a 3.5 hour wait for my Munro bagging friends who got a tad lost in the clagg next day. Roll on next year
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland