walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Glen 1: Eagle-eye down Glen Nevis

Great Glen 1: Eagle-eye down Glen Nevis

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bidein Bad na h-Iolaire

Date walked: 21/06/2013

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 725m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2000 Marilyns: Bidein Bad na h-Iolaire
Date: 21/06/2013.
Distance: 9 km
Ascent: 725m
Time taken: 2 hours 45 minutes.
Weather: Warm and sunny

It was time for my family's annual holiday to Scotland. I usually try and join them for a few days each year. This time they were in a caravan in Onich. Gill and I were going to go down for a night and do some cycling in Ardgour, but in the end she couldn't make it. This opened the door for some walking opportunities :D . I booked Friday afternoon and Monday off work and was on the bus down to Fort William shortly after lunch.

On the way down I had a plan to carry on down to Corran, catch the ferry to Ardgour and nip up Druim na Sgriodan. However once I worked out the times, I realised that there was no way this would fit in before going for a meal out. I quickly scaled back and went for Bidein Bad na h-Iolaire instead. A quick phonecall to dad to let him know I would now be finishing in Fort William. Turned out he was just about to wander up Cow Hill with my sister, so I let him know I might bump into them.

Bidein Bad na h-Iolaire.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Setting off from the bus station at 4:50 pm, I decided to take a direct route up the flank of Cow Hill that overlooks Fort William. I went up Alma Road for a short distance before finding a path heading into the woods. There is a network of paths contouring around the flanks of Cow Hill, but they don't lead to the top. I remedied this by jumping over a couple of fences and clinbing through some steep woodland. The radio mast and local highpoint followed shortly after. Good views up and down Loch Linnhe for such a small effort :)

Fort William:

Caol:

Loch Linnhe:

The true summit is further south, just off the transmitter track. I spied a couple of people disappearing over the brow of the hill on the track - I had an idea this might be dad and Laura so I ran along to catch them up (missing the summit out in the process). It was them. They were just about to drop down the peat road into Glen Nevis, so I walked with them for a few minutes before heading up the N ridge of Bidein Bad na h-Iolaire. There was the trace of a path, but some thick heather lower down. Going got easier as I got higher, but the ridge was quite uneven - lots of slips and faults in the bedrock.

Chaffinch - not too shy but still didn't want to get close enough for my rubbish camera!

The views opened out rather nicely. Not long range ones, but a good study of the less interesting side of Ben Nevis and great views of the Mamores. In the unobstructed directions, I could see down to Beinn a; Bheithir and Mull. There was a profusion of red-and-white tape on bamboo canes leading down to the WHW, suggesting that this hill has a fell race on it. Despite that, it is probably the least visited summit surrounding Glen Nevis. Go there if you have a free evening in the glen!

Meall an t-Suidhe:

The Ben - soon to clear:

North up the Great Glen:

Binnein Mor to Sgurr a Mhaim:

Bheinn a Bheithir:

Sgurr Dhomhnuill and Ardgour:

Mamores again:

...this time including Stob Ban:

Ben Nevis finally clear:

I fancied a circular route of sorts, so I dropped steeply down to the WHW and followed it back towards Fort William. This part has good views into Glen Nevis, but is spoiled somewhat by the amount of intensive felling and track building that has gone on around the descent into the glen (this was a bit of a theme in the places I visited over the next few days. Conifer plantations in Lochaber must all be approaching the perfect harvesting age just now).

Glen Nevis:

Further down, I got a call from dad asking where I was. I think he wanted to escape shopping duties, so he drove up to the Glen Nevis visitor centre and picked me up there. We all headed round to the Holly Tree in Kentallen for some seafood - much recommended (in fact we were back there the next day for a pint). A good start to what turned out to be a brilliant long weekend, dodging an atrocious weather forecast to find sunshine every day somewhere :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Great Glen 1: Eagle-eye down Glen Nevis

Postby Bod » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 pm

A good start absolutely malky, very nice and that first section up from Fort William town centre looks fairly steep and rewarding :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby clivegrif » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Great to see such a different view of Ben Nevis - didn't recognise it at first.

Off the beaten track again Malky! Its good to see reports on hills other than the obvious and popular ones.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:21 pm

Cheers :)

Done the more popular hills in this area many times now, so it's quite nice to revisit and do the more obscure ones. They nearly always have good views too.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland