walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moidart Expedition Day 3

Moidart Expedition Day 3

Postby bootsandpaddles » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Route description: Beinn Resipol from Resipole campsite

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Resipol

Date walked: 26/06/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 883m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The camp site at Resipol makes a good base for this hill. Although it is quite expensive the facilities are good and you don't have to pay extra for a shower which I always take exception to. The path starts next to the excellent shop at the camp site, goes through oak woods to a bridge and a gate and out into more open ground. There were loads of orchids
DSCN3308 (480x640).jpg
Nice orchid
and other wild flowers along the way and a rather nice pony.
DSCN3294 (640x480).jpg
Nice pony
The path re-enters woods higher up and continues with the burn way below to the left. Emerging from the woods the ground is very wet and boggy in places.
DSCN3299 (640x480).jpg
Loch Sunart
Height is gained very gradually until quite near to the base of the hill. Someone has put a new stock fence across the path without a stile but as it was only low I just climbed over.
DSCN3301 (480x640).jpg
The objective
As the ground begins to get steeper the path goes off round the hill. At this point I got fed up with the mud and just headed up for the summit through bands of rock.
DSCN3307 (640x480).jpg
A closer look
This was a lot more interesting, searching out a good way through. The summit has a huge cairn.
DSCN3304 (640x480).jpg
View from the top - what is that interesting looking hill?
Loch Sunart stretched away below. I decided to go back down the path and was glad that I had avoided it on the way up. The walk back, retracing my steps, was very pleasant and near to camp site I met the first people I had seen on the hills in three days. Then it was off to the Corran Ferry and home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Moidart Expedition Day 3

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:14 pm

I live on the Airidh Fhionndail side of Resipole and usually ascend from Coire an t Suidhe or the old mine path ,even camped on the summit one night in Summer , 8) .....must go up the campsite route one day

I enjoyed that report
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby bootsandpaddles » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Collaciotach wrote:I live on the Airidh Fhionndail side of Resipole and usually ascend from Coire an t Suidhe or the old mine path ,even camped on the summit one night in Summer , 8) .....must go up the campsite route one day

I enjoyed that report

Trying to find where you mean without success.
bootsandpaddles

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 pm

I live in Ariundle up the glen from Strontian

A good route is up Resipole from Loch Dubh Leathad (Doilet) near Polloch this links to an older path which drops into Upper Scotstown above Ariundle :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby bootsandpaddles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:53 am

Thanks - I might have a look at that route next time.
bootsandpaddles

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland