walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Damp at Dalwhinnie

Damp at Dalwhinnie

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Date walked: 28/06/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Firstly big thanks to Andy for offering to put up with me as company for 6 hours and volunteering his services free of charge :lol: :lol:
The directions on WH as usual were excellent & there is very limited parking, in fact our 2 cars just about filled up the available space, unfortunately because Andy arrived just before me he picked the best parking spot, I had to negotiate a sizeable pudding when I opened the drivers door :(
The day started with a meeting very close to Dalwhinnie Railway Station about 9.15am, introductions, kitted up and off we set in the dry :D
However, as I had checked the forecast before leaving Fife I was expecting grottiness & for a change the forecast was correct :(
The track/path along towards Ben Alder appears to be in excellent condition & I was making mental notes as Ben Alder is on my hit list this summer :wink:
The gap in the trees where one leaves the path is quite substantial, however there is no sign of a path & we hardly found a path all day, but more of that later :lol:

DSCF1603.JPG
A stop for one of the few pictures I managed to take, looking back down to Loch Ericht

DSCF1604.JPG
Loch Ericht & a sign of the grottiness to come

The grassy slopes up to the ridge of The Fara are fairly steep & the midges were out in force trying to feed on me, lost count of how many I murdered. The grass was rather wet & I was quite pleased with myself for giving my boots another spray with water proofing yesterday :clap:
For those who are interested in bogginess under foot, I think Andy will back me up, it is almost off the scale :(

DSCF1605.JPG
Andy tummy in chest out

As we neared the summit the wind picked up & down came the drizzle, the only good thing about the wind was the midges all ended up in Loch Ericht :lol:

DSCF1607.JPG
The substantial summit cairn

DSCF1608.JPG
Well wrapped up & the cairn turned out to be an excellent wind shelter

From the summit the plan was to walk the ridge & then descend down back down to the path at Ben Alder Lodge 8) It was a very good plan, however like all good plans, we tweaked it a bit & really paid the price :oops: :oops:
We were making excellent progress along the ridge until a large lump appeared out of the gloom, we went into a huddle & decided to be clever in an effort to avoid more ascending :roll: The idea was a good one, however the decision on which way to go was a tad flawed :oops: We reasoned that if we went to the right we would cut the corner & pick up the ridge further on, however after about 30 mins or so, we had another huddle, Andy checked the GPS, I got out my map to see where we thought we were, because as we descended a bit below the cloud we expected to see Loch Ericht, however someone had moved it & all we saw was a stream at the bottom of the glen :? :?
Another huddle & Andy consulted his GPS again & off we set hoping to Loch Erecht was we had ascended what we were hoping would be the ridge overlooking the Loch - guess what, no Loch, so another huddle ensued :( By this time we had waded through umpteen peat bogs, climbed & descended & climbed again :shock:
So I suggested putting in a way point for Ben Alder Lodge, which Andy did & off we set on a direct course, nothing was going to get in our way :lol:
Anyway we eventually descended & the most welcome sight of the day appeared from below the cloud Loch Erecht :clap: So we descended down & clambered over a style, that looked like it hardly been used there was no path or obvious signs that walking boots had been in the vicinity :shock:
After descending on a well defined path through the trees which was boggy at the top, we eventually reached the track beside Loch Erecht 8)

DSCF1609.JPG
Loch Erecht from the track

DSCF1610.JPG
Andy stripping off for the long walk back to the cars

The walk back to the car took about 90mins & as it only took us 6 hours with all our detours was pretty good 8)
A good day out, shame about the weather :(
Thanks again Andy, good to meet you & safe journey back down the road :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Damp at Dalwhinnie

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:30 pm

looks like you guys had an adventure ..all part of the fun! ..shame about the clag, but looks like you still enjoyed yourselves :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Ibex » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm

What happened Andy? I left you at 9am and by 1pm you were lost. Oh dear.

That is a pretty impressive summit cairn. At least that must have been easy ish to see in the clag.
Bit of an adventure is always fun anyway.

Shame I didn't get to meet you fife flier, but I seemed to have done something to one of my knees earlier in the week and it was getting slowly worse. Maybe some other time!

Managed to get home to Oxfordshire in 10.5 hours. Loads of traffic around Birmingham.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Yep, good to meet you Fife Flyer. Thanks for the report - I'm enjoying my beer right now (admittedly not my first ;))

SavageAlice - yes, had a good day out in some nasty conditions. They did ease up a bit over time though.

Ibex - you'd have hated the slog up the side of the hill. The path on Sow of Atholl was at least 5 times better.

AJ
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Erm... that comment to Ibex may have come across as the hill wasn't any good. It actually was, just very steep from the onset. And we didn't make it particularly easy on ourselves. :)
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm

shame about the weather as I gather there are great views form this hill - did think about it when I was up for Ben Alder but didn't manage it - hope to get back some time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland