walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

TISO Walk Report of the month - January

TISO Walk Report of the month - January

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Date walked: 01/02/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's time to announce the winner of January's walk report of the month.

The snowy weather brought scores of reports with some stunningly beautiful winter mountain landscapes - thanks to everyone who has added a report.

However this month's winner of the £40 Tiso vouchers for walk report of the month goes to a report on a much shorter walk, added right at the start of January. It's DonnyW's original account comparing two ascents of lowly Ben A'an in summer and winter... great stuff Donny - read it here.

Many reports came very close, and here's a shot from CurlyWurly's trip up Ben More and Stob Binnein.

Thanks to Tiso for the continued sponsorship.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: TISO Walk Report of the month - January

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:34 am

Well done Donny! Great pictures and an original idea. Nice to see wee Ben A'an getting the prize too!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Great photos and a nice twist on the usual report. Far more imaginative than I am :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 am

Congratulations DonnyW - I'm really, really chuffed that one won as it was my fave report of the month too - just for the fantastic idea really :D Well done!
mountain coward

Postby DonnyW » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Wow… It comes as a surprise and I consider it a great honour being chosen for walk report of the month :shock: :D

My thanks must go to Paul for setting up this inspirational website and guide for outdoor enthusiasts like myself, to Tiso’s for supplying the gift vouchers, and to all of you, the users who contribute to the forum and make it the special place it is. 8)

I have already decided to put the gift voucher towards the cost of a GPS device so that I can add walk reports to some of my favourite places not featured on the site. :idea:
Its not just the mountains that I like to hike over but the remote valleys too

Some ideas include walks to ancient standing stones erected on magical ley lines

And remote sites where ancient pagan rituals are still performed to this day

For me, the beauty of Scotland not only lies in its hills and views but also in its more obscure cultures and history, which is in abundance once you know where to look.

Thanks again to all for your comments and interest in my walks. Hope to catch you around the forum. :thumbup:
DonnyW

Postby mountain coward » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:26 am

Where is that first pic of the standing/cloven stone?
mountain coward

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:37 pm

And how did you find my Shamanistic Sweat-Lodge and Mystic Ju-Ju emporium?!

"And remote sites where ancient pagan rituals are still performed to this day" ~ You may be confusing this with the drunken antics of bothy dwellers throughout the highlands...

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby DonnyW » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:And how did you find my Shamanistic Sweat-Lodge and Mystic Ju-Ju emporium?!

It was easy Caberfeidh ... they told me your joint is a cut above the rest :lol:

Hey...MC..you were up a Munro just beside the praying hands in Glen Lyon ..didnt you see them ? :shock:
DonnyW

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland