walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Best day yet – Driesh & Mayar

Best day yet – Driesh & Mayar

Postby Alastair S » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 am

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 31/01/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mayar & Driesh (Glen Clova).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Just had my best day yet in the mountains in (albeit in my rather limited experience). But wow was it blowy (as per forecast).

To the beginning: got into the car park at Glen Doll just before 8:00 am. Parking charge is now £2.00 folks – but they do have facilities (which I was very glad of).

Intended route was as per this site, but in reverse order – so it was through the forest and up to Driesh. Weather was fine and cold, -1C in the car park. Not much snow in the forest but it was icy. Above the tree line it was on with the crampons and along the side of the Shank of Drumfollow.

P1060620.JPG
Head of Glen Clova from base of Shank of Drumfollow

Avalanche forecast was predicted to be considerable on SW through to E slopes but this slope was well scoured and very firm. So two thirds of the way along the Shank I decided to cut up to the ridge for the views and was well rewarded.

P1060627.JPG
Shank of Drumfollow (looking North)

As expected the wind on the ridge was considerable but strangely it wasn’t till I moved further around to the East that what it became a full blown gale – easily 50mph. With the temperature around -5C that equates to a wind chill of -17C. Although there was no spindrift here it was on with the recently purchased ski goggles. It was a cross/tail wind to Mayar with fabulous views nearly all around (the tops to the North were covered with a thin blanket)

P1060635.JPG
Looking South from Mayar

P1060636.JPG
Glen Clova from Mayar

P1060644.JPG
Driesh from Mayar

P1060658.JPG
Interesting cloud (with not so interesting cloud obscuring Lochnagar)

With no shelter to be had from the biting wind it was on to Driesh, now into the wind. Passed on couple of ski tourers going the other way and gave them a wave – I thought they were doing a magnificent job just staying upright. Later caught up with them in the car park and they admitted that it had been challenging. So much so that they left the skis behind for the accent of Mayar. Apparently not enough powder (i.e. none) for ski touring.

P1060668.JPG
Looking South from near Driesh (could do with sorting out that horizon)

P1060671.JPG
Yours truly at Driesh cairn (to add to my prove-that-I-was-there photos)

P1060672.JPG
Looking South from Driesh – Blackwater Reservoir just visible.

P1060684.JPG
Looking East – believe that Glas Maol is the one just right of centre

Next it was due North to Corrie Fee. It was amazing that a decent of just 150m could have such a dramatic effect on the wind. There was now some “proper” snow (with attendant spindrift) and once over the lip of the corrie I was able to take the goggles off and have some much needed hot chocolate and a bite to eat.

P1060715.JPG
Fee Burn is in there somewhere

P1060727.JPG
Corrie Fee and Erne Craigs

The decent down to the valley floor was unexpectedly steep. Meet a couple struggling up with walking poles but I felt a lot safer with my ice axe. Once in the forest it was off with the crampons, and soon after I was on my backside – still lots of ice about :lol: Also quite a few folk about doing the forest trails. Was back in the car park at a very civilized 2:15.

For me it was a near perfect day. Not too long, nothing too vertiginous given the conditions (the decent down Corrie Fee was very steep but out of the wind), fantastic views over the tops, Corrie Fee and the cliffs to the North (Erne Craigs) are magnificent, but most of all it was the challenge. 50 mph+ winds and a wind chill of -17C are not to be sniffed at. But I had all the kit, I have had training in how to use it and it did its job. I still haven’t got that much experience (these were Munro #21 & 22 for me) but I didn’t take any risks and most of all I loved it :D

In fact my biggest mistake was in taking a [metal] Sigg water bottle instead of my usual plastic disposable bottle of water – top froze solid after an hour so I was fairly thirsty by the time I got back to the car. As always still lots to learn.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Best day yet – Driesh & Mayar

Postby mountain coward » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 am

LOL to the water bottle :lol: Having said that, I can't see how people can drink cold water on the hills in those temperatures - I only ever take a hot flask of coffee! Those are lovely pics - especially nice for me to look at as I saw nothing up there as I did the whole thing in a clag. I think I'd find the descent to Corrie Fee very steep in snow - I found it pretty steep without! Even in the clag though, it's a lovely walk!
mountain coward

Postby Alastair S » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks

mountain coward wrote:LOL to the water bottle :lol:

Yes, another small flask is on the shopping list :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby kevsbald » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:35 am

Great stuff Al. I love these two hills but haven't done them in full Winter claes.
Your report makes me want to repeat them ower lang.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 am

I'm envious now! These looked good from the Glen Prosen side on Saturday, but they look even better from the Clova side. Much like kevsbald, I have had some good times on these hills over the years but I've never done them in the winter. Good work battling against the wind!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby StokeyNeil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am

Great Munros to do and you had a good day up there - -17 and sunshine isn't too bad - i remember walking over there from the old Glen Isla Hostel to the sadly now gone Glen Doll Hostel in terrible wet conditions - all the gear in the world couldn't have kept us dry - by the time we got to the top of the Kilbo path it was dark and the wind was laying us flat - the drop down into Glen Doll is steep enough during the day but at night your imagination runs riot - there was never a more welcome sight than the drying room at the Doll Hostel
StokeyNeil
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Strangely enough these are two of the few Munros I have climbed twice (in late spring/summer weather) but also two of the few Muros for which I have no pictures - just have to climb them both a third time.....with a camera.....in winter. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 am

I foolishly didn't take my camera either as it was such a claggy day - of course, by the time I reached Mayar and the descent into Corrie Fee, it cleared :( I've every intention of doing them both again though as I really enjoyed the walk and, on a bad weather day, that's a sure sign it's a nice walk! :) I will either take Richard next time or go up in snow myself - probably ascending out of Corriee Fee rather than descending into it!
mountain coward

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 am

Yeah, I think Coire Fee is best done by ascending out of it onto Mayar rather than coming down. Just my personal opinion mind! :)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alastair S » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:Yeah, I think Coire Fee is best done by ascending out of it onto Mayar rather than coming down. Just my personal opinion mind! :)

Definitely agree - so much more scary looking down a steep slope. On this occasion the snow helped as it was very firm not not quite icy, and with crampons there wasn't much chance of slipping. Not sure what it is like in summer, but if it was wet and/or gravelly it wouldn't have been a lot of fun.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:02 am

Well it was fine descending into Corrie Fee in summer - just I'm not keen on going down steep in winter!
mountain coward

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 pm

was up here about 3 weeks ago after a decent dump of snow. it was murder as the snow was upper leg deep and not taking weight! ended up heading up shank of drumfollow face and along the to the top! I too wouldn't reccomend going down into fee in winter, have done these hills numerous times and much prefer going up the face of corrie fee.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland