walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From A & E to the Aonach Eagach

From A & E to the Aonach Eagach

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 10/06/2013

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For day two of gizmogirl's rehabilitation from ankle surgery (following mountain rescue to A & E with triple break and dislocation :shock: ) we decided on a wee dander up the Aonach Eagach. For this decision we're indebted to a WH report that made it sound like a walk in the park - going up the Pap path and turning right to nip up to the peak of the Fingalian warriors, taking 4 hours for the round trip. Well to be honest it took us a little bit longer than that. :lol:

We drove down the Great Glen to Glencoe, going through the village and along the minor road towards the Clachaig, parking on the broad forest track just past the electric substation. There is plenty of space and we had the place to ourselves. From here we followed the path that runs parallel to the road until it rejoins it. This is a very pleasant (and wheelchair friendly) path to follow for anyone out for a short walk in pine woods with the beautiful backdrop of the Glencoe hills. :D

Pap of Glencoe from where we parked
DSC_0002-large.jpg

DSC_0003-large.jpg

Profusion of wild rhododendrons
DSC_0005-large.jpg

Excellent path
DSC_0009-large.jpg

Our target for the day - Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (with a little cloud on top)
10606_10151637674233788_1956540645_n.jpg

Walking east on the minor road you pass the entrance to Laraichean then through a gate on left that has 'Pap' scratched on the gate post. The path goes uphill towards waterworks then turns right and crosses a footbridge.

DSC_0010-large.jpg

View south to Bidean nam Bian
DSC_0012-large.jpg

Views opening up west to Glencoe village and Loch Leven
DSC_0014-large.jpg

The path traverses the hillside, fords a burn then curves left uphill becoming steep and loose in places.

DSC_0019-large.jpg

DSC_0020-large.jpg

Sgorrs Dhonuill & Dhearg
DSC_0021-large.jpg

The path levels out at a peaty section and divides, the main path to the left heading for the Pap and the path to the right heading for the west end of the Aonach Eagach ridge. This is a distinct path until the ground becomes stony when various paths make their way up to the ridge, some more sketchy than others. We picked our own way up through the rocky section but on the descent found it helpful to stick to the main path which zigzagged through the worst of the scree.

We met three other parties coming off the ridge carrying ropes, one guy on his own talking about not doing the whole thing but just the Munro and the Corbett, which puzzled us as we were unaware of any Corbett at this end of the ridge. Behind me Moira met a couple who had just done the Pap and they stood blethering for so long I finally gave up waiting and walked on, keeping an eye on her progress from above. 8)

Moira in bottom centre of photo
DSC_0025-large.jpg

Pap of Glencoe and Loch Leven
DSC_0027-large.jpg

I was looking forward to reaching the ridge to see the view to the other side, but looking north there was too much cloud and haze to make out the individual Mamores clearly. At one point Sgurr a' Mhaim (where we'd been three days earlier) and Stob Ban were clear but mostly to the north it was a mysterious haze.

Cairn at west end of AE ridge - could he have mistaken this bump for a Corbett?
DSC_0028-large.jpg

Sgorr nam Fiannaidh summit straight ahead
DSC_0030-large.jpg

Looking east along AE ridge from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh
DSC_0032-large.jpg

DSC_0034-large.jpg

Less seen north side of AE ridge
DSC_0036-large.jpg

Moira's second Munro since ankle surgery :clap:
DSC_0037-large.jpg

Dark clouds were gathering so we didn't hang around too long, but it didn't come to anything and we later saw the ridge beautifully clear in the late afternoon sun. :D

About to rejoin the Pap path which can be seen traversing the hill just below us
DSC_0041-large.jpg

DSC_0042-largel.jpg

DSC_0045-large.jpg

DSC_0046-large.jpg

DSC_0047-large.jpg

DSC_0048-large.jpg

At some point near the bottom I inadvertently took a wrong turn and arrived at a wire fence running along the side of the Clachaig road. I turned round and walked back up to find my pal wondering where I'd disappeared to and just slightly frustrated at my poor navigational skills. :roll: But I persuaded her it was a fine short cut (probably made by folk heading for the Clachaig) and we were soon through the fence and on the road heading back to the car.

We rounded off a glorious day with food in the Clachaig before driving on to visit friends in Crieff. :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:231   Corbetts:57
Grahams:17   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Re: From A & E to the Aonach Eagach

Postby GillC » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Well done on not letting your ankle trouble hold you back. :clap: Did you do the whole ridge?
GillC
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:44
Grahams:31   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5

Postby dtr42 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:07 pm

nice report , great pictures and well done on getting back to the hills after your accident ,
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 pm

well done gizmogirl ..sounds like the ankels doing well, ..and well done dogplodder for another lovely report ..smashing photos ..hope we get more summery days like that :)
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Grahams:59   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Driftwood » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Some great views there - the shot with beams of sunlight slipping through the clouds is a real stunner. I can only hope that I get such conditions for the hill, whichever direction I eventually dare approach it by!

That's quite a walk for a recuperating ankle and, hopefully, means that all's working well again.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:43
Grahams:19   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:19   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 pm

lovely day for it, dp - re the pap, have often thought about walking up the pap each time I've passed it but not done so yet - really must get get round to it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:52 pm

GillC wrote: Did you do the whole ridge?

No, just the western Munro, up and back. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:05 am

dtr42 wrote:nice report , great pictures and well done on getting back to the hills after your accident ,

Thanks, I'll tell her. :D

SAVAGEALICE wrote:well done gizmogirl ..sounds like the ankels doing well, ..and well done dogplodder for another lovely report ..smashing photos ..hope we get more summery days like that :)

Thanks SA. :D
dogplodder

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland