walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Auch 4 (Auch, maybe it wiz 3!)

Auch 4 (Auch, maybe it wiz 3!)

Postby haringit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Date walked: 01/07/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1769m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had always pondered on how this group would be a full days walking and imagined I would enjoy them on a lazy sunny day. Half of it was true! :lol: Had bagged Beinn Odhar already in the throws of a passing maelstrom, my aim today was Beinn a' Chaisteil, Beinn nam Fuaran, Cam Chreag and Beinn Chaorach, (in that order.)
Showers were forecast with the promise of drier conditions from 2pm onwards. I parked at the A82 roadside on the makeshift layby and set off at 1.45pm to the Auch road-end and headed down the tarmac road to Auch and beyond.
DSCF4097 (640x480).jpg
Beinn a' Chaisteil

DSCF4098 (640x480).jpg
Beinn Dorain

The tops were clear at this point as the last shower trundled off eastwards, it didn't take too long before the next one rolled in though, hoping this would be the last one.
DSCF4099 (640x480).jpg
A claggy Beinn a' Chaisteil

I took the right hand track just before the railway viaduct which follows round the base of Beinn a' Chaisteil while congratulating myself that i'd come well prepared with a long sleeved top and winter jacket. :clap:
A newish looking track had been leveled on the opposite side of the Allt Coralan. "Great!" I thought, should make for an easier and shorter journey back.
DSCF4100 (480x640).jpg
Impressive cascade running from Choire Luaidh on Beinn Odhar

Walked the track 'till I reached the end of the crag line above and took to the steep, damp hillside.
DSCF4101 (640x480).jpg
Beinn Chaorach

Oh joy, it's going to be a wet feet walk! :(
I eventually arrived onto the SE ridge and launched myself to the top. No clag to contend with,. :D.
DSCF4106 (640x480).jpg
Beinn a' Chaisteils summit.

Was feeling a tad unfit by this point coupled with the late start i'd decided to do Beinn nam Fuaran then call it a day. Also the ease of mind weather wasn't materialising.
DSCF4107 (640x480).jpg
Beinn nam Fuaran here I come!

Found a few patches of this little beauty on the way down to the haggy bealach.
DSCF4108 (640x480).jpg
Moss Campion - Silene acaulis

Apparently 'acaulis' means stemless. :o
Was going to try and avoid the hags by passing to their left but ended up taking the direct route accross the center. A few dodgy bits but not so bad. Got through to the other side, stopped to eat and planned the rest of my walk. Checked my timing and the route off from the bealach into Gleann Ach'-innis Chailein. Had no idea how I was going to tackle BnF's slope, another steep one with sills of crags barring the way. Tried going as straight up as possible but had to angle myself over a sill using a grassy, connecting ramp which turned out to be the worst part of its ascent. A cold strong wind now blowing, Beinn Dorain deciding to relenquish its hold on a shower, glad it's mostly my back that's getting the brunt of it. Arrived at the top 20mins before my 5 o'clock deadline i'd decided on earlier.
DSCF4109 (640x480).jpg
Beinn nam Fuaran's summit.
With a new found energy, (mainly from the millionaires shortbread and orangeade included in my lunch,) and the extra time, I settled on finishing the round with the remaining two. It'll be good practice for The Glen Affrick hills. :crazy:
I didn't hang about long, parading off, down good grassy slopes to the glen floor. crossed the burn and then onto Cam Chreag's northern ridge.
DSCF4110 (640x480).jpg
Cam Chreag's north ridge.

DSCF4111 (640x480).jpg
Looking back to Beinn nam Fuaran

It's a long slog to the top.
DSCF4112 (640x480).jpg
Finally at the top. (Or is it?)

So, there I am at the top, knackered, and i'm looking along the remaining summit ridge and i'm thinking the peak at the far end looks higher, and maybe the one at the center of the ridge looks higher?!
Got my map out for a look and decided that i'd put some faith into what the map and my reference book says - 884m's at the north end of the ridge is the summit!
Down to the next peat hagged bealach and stopped off for my first cigarette of the walk, sheltering from the wind behind a large boulder while watching a lone hind running around on Cam Chreag looking for it's herd or fawn, or both!
Now for the final hill.
DSCF4114 (640x480).jpg
Beinn Chaorach

Started getting some pain in my right knee as I ascended, had to stop half way for something else to eat. However, the damage was already done. :( Heading back down's going to be fun. :lol:
DSCF4117 (640x480).jpg
Beinn Chaorach's summit.

Summited and promptly headed back down. I'd picked a way off the summit from the initial track at the foot of Beinn a' Chaisteil - anywhere beyond the rocky section. It was getting late now and the mountains were taking on a darker, more menacing ambience, not very welcoming. And here I am straddling down the hillside looking like a novice cowboy. Thank God it's only the 4 and not the 5 hills i'd planned to do. Picked up on the track at the bottom i'd spied earlier, the leveler surface gave some respite to the pain. Back to Auch and the A82.
DSCF4119 (640x480).jpg
Was kind of jealous of this wee thing.

A bit of caffine and i'll be fine.
DSCF4116 (640x480).jpg
Cam Creag from Beinn Chaorach.

DSCF4113 (640x480).jpg
Beinn a' Chaisteil and Beinn Dorain
haringit
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland