walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath Chuil

Sgiath Chuil

Postby jonny616 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 30/01/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First of all what a cracking day weatherwise!

Of down the Glen Lochay road again, not much snow or ice on it untill you pass the parking place for Meall Ghaordaidh, then it gets a bit worse. We parked up just past the last cattle grid & once set of realised we could have saved ourselves about 10 mins each way by driving further.

Set of with great views all around having decided on the drive to stick to the plan of climbing Sgiath Chuil as we were nearly tempted to head for the Tarmachan Ridge which we have only done in the rain & cloud with only our feet for a view!
CIMG1962.JPG
Starting out with Ben Challum ahead

CIMG1966.JPG
Looking to Meall Ghaordaidh. Nice to see it clearly

Having noted on other reports that the bridge is gone i assured my pals that all was well as the ford was easy to cross. Not today looked deep & half coverd in ice. So we went about 200 yards down the river bank looking for a spot. Whilst looking a group aproached the ford & decided against. later we could see them further along the track. We picked a spot & then legged it. Everybody had damp but not drenched feet afterwards.

Followed the track untill it was close to the Lubchurran burn at about 350 meters & found a place to cross. Also not straight forward as the rocks where to icy to hop from one to another.

Once across it was a case of a relativly steep slog to hit the ridge. Stoping about half way to don the crampons.

Once on the ridge straight ahead untill the summit with a few 'no this is not the top call'. Why is there always one more hump than you think?

We had thought about going for Meall Glas as well, but decided to take in the views, enjouy the weather & not bust a lung.

The wind got up as we aproched the summit, so after photo calls etc headed back the way we had come & dropped down to our right for a lunch stop out of the wind.
CIMG1978.JPG
Harry at the summit with Ben Vorlic & Stuc a' Chroin

We then did a bit of sledging again on the undulating ridge, but got caught up in the moment & ending up walking off the ridge far to soon (see map)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

& having a fairly step decent, crossing the burn & another before joining the track & back to our river crossing & this time wet instead of damp feet.

CIMG1984.JPG
Looking back up the hill

My friend Colin took alot more picks, one of which he sent to the BBC & they used on Sundays Countryfile, so i may add some more when i get them.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Sgiath Chuil

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Yeah, I saw that picture on Countryfile!
Graeme D

Munros:230   Corbetts:114
Grahams:67   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:52 am

Hmmm - if you look to the right of where you ascended (on your map), there's a bridge onto a zig-zagging forestry track gets you quite high onto the lower slopes. Granted there's some bog to cross but in winter that's probably frozen solid so okay. Then it's a very straightforward grassy climb up (in summer). I used the Lubchurran track you went up to do Ben Cheetah and his mate (as I call them)... There are a lot of false summit though like you say - it was horrendous conditions when I went up, heavy showers and thick clag and I sat between the first 2 thinking I was up. The weather cleared briefly so I ran back up the furthest peak and saw I had quite a few more bumps to go to the true summit! Boy, would I have been p****d to find I'd not made it!
mountain coward

Postby jonny616 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:14 am

mountain coward wrote:Hmmm - if you look to the right of where you ascended (on your map), there's a bridge onto a zig-zagging forestry track gets you quite high onto the lower slopes. Granted there's some bog to cross but in winter that's probably frozen solid so okay. Then it's a very straightforward grassy climb up (in summer). I used the Lubchurran track you went up to do Ben Cheetah and his mate (as I call them)... There are a lot of false summit though like you say - it was horrendous conditions when I went up, heavy showers and thick clag and I sat between the first 2 thinking I was up. The weather cleared briefly so I ran back up the furthest peak and saw I had quite a few more bumps to go to the true summit! Boy, would I have been p****d to find I'd not made it!

We did see that bridge, but carried on safe in the knowledge that the ford was easy to cross!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland