walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich

Ben Donich

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 29/01/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill: Ben Donich
Date: Friday 29th January 2010
Company: Foggieclimber and Beinn
Time: 3Hrs 15Mins
Dog friendly: Yes

We parked at NN228070 where there is room for 6-8 cars (with plenty further parking back at the Rest and Be Thankful).

The ground was frozen solid from the start so I opted to wear my four season boots and carry my crampons. Right from the start the wind was bitterly cold, not a day for hanging around.

Beinn waiting at car parking area (Ben Donich summit in distance):

We took the sign-posted footpath up through the initial grassy slopes and was pleasantly suprised to find a new gate through the fence instead of a stile as mentioned in previous reports of this hill.

New dog-friendly gate:

The surrounding hills looked quite frozen too.

Beinn an Lochain and Loch Restil:

Beinn Luibhean:

We continued to follow the path over a couple of small grassy tops.

Looking back towards Stob Coire Creagach:

Beinn Narnain and The Cobbler:

Upper section of Ben Donich:

Looking towards first rocky top:

Just below the first rocky top I decided to put on my crampons as I was aware of a short scrambly bit ahead.

Gladiators on (Def. not microspikes :wink:):

Looking over the short icy down-scramble:

The scrambly bit was really straight-forward. Was a bit worried about how Beinn would cope with it but he managed it fine with his in-built crampons.

Looking back to wee scramble:

I found this section of the ridge to be very interesting. A large jumble of boulders stretching across the ridge.
Would be easy enough to disappear down a hole in this section if some of the gaps were covered in snow.

Looking back to wee scramble, rocks and fissures:

The Cobbler:

After passing the jumble of boulders the walk to the summit is straight-forward.

Heading towards next rocky top:

Distant trig point:

We stayed at the summit for a few minutes before heading back via the same route. The views down to Lochgoilhead were nice.

Beinn at summit:

Lochgoilhead:

Summit trig point:
foggieclimber

Re: Ben Donich

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Stunning photos - and on the Beinn Mhic Chasgaig report too. I was thinking of doing a wee mini-tour of the Arrochar Corbetts at some point this summer, but seeing these pics, I may just wait until next winter. :D
Graeme D

Munros:223   Corbetts:105
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Re: Ben Donich

Postby allansmitchell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:53 pm

Great report, nice to see what its like with some snow. Hat off to the dog getting down the crags.
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland