walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgùrr na Stri from Sligachan with blue sky

Sgùrr na Stri from Sligachan with blue sky

Postby Musicfinder » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Route description: Sgùrr na Strì

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sgùrr na Strì

Date walked: 30/05/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 650m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We awoke to bright blue skies with nary a cloud to be seen, not the weather a person usually thinks of for the Isle of Skye. After packing a lunch, filling water bottles and removing the unneeded rain gear from the backpacks we were ready for our short drive to the Sligachan Hotel. We were on the road early with minimal traffic on the A855 and A87 which allowed us to be parked and booting up before 7AM.

We crossed the A863 to begin the LONG walk to Sgùrr na Stri. Just after crossing the stone bridge, I was stopping for the obligatory photograph of the bridge with the Cuillins behind it. That out of the way, we passed through the gate with the sign marking the way to Loch Coruisk to begin the walk. The path initially is paved with stones but shortly becomes a normal path.

The walk up Glen Sligachan seems at times endless, but what great views for the long walk with the Cuillins on our right the entire way. On our left we passed Glamaig before balancing on stones to ford Allt na Measarroch. The sun was warming the day nicely when we entered the shadow of Marsco as the path followed close to its base. On our right we passed to two small lochans before reaching the cairn that marked the split in the path with the right path leading to Loch Coruisk and Sgùrr na Stri.

The path up Druim Hain is easily visible on the hillside. In my opinion, the worst of this long walk is walking up Druim Hain. The loose large rocks make the short path more time consuming and energy draining than expected. Upon reaching the crest, Loch Coruisk and Loch Scavaig came into view, which we enjoyed as we took a short relaxing break at the base of the large cairn.

We followed the path to the left below Sgùrr Hain toward Sgùrr na Stri. As we passed Captain Maryon’s Cairn slightly below us on our right the path becomes less distinct. We began the ascent up the stream gully and finally just worked our way up the rocky field to the summit area. The grabbo rock has fantastic grip for moving confidently up the slabs when needed. The views are said to be some of the best of the Cuillins which I can wholeheartedly agree with. We settled on a spot with a great view to relax and enjoy our lunch. While Barb continued to relaxed, I wandered around the summit area taking photos of the views.

After enjoying the summit area and its views for an hour or more we decided we should begin the long walk back. We went back the same way we came with the Sligachan Hotel coming into view over an hour before we would finally reach it. The walk back to our car was nearly 3 hours long. Our reward for the walk, in addition to the great views we had on Sgùrr na Stri, was a few pints and a whisky soaked salmon in a restaurant while we overlooked the harbor in Portree.
Last edited by Musicfinder on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Musicfinder

Re: Sgùrr na Stri from Sligachan with blue sky

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Stunning stuff. I've always thought about climbing this little hill simply for the views it would give on a lovely day. You couldn't have asked for a better day and you got some beautiful photos in the process. Lovely, cheers. :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Great hill ..i keep meaning to do my own report on this ..i did it about a month ago on a glorious day, ..but didnt fancy the long walk -in in the heat so instead took a boat from elgol up to Coruisk and climbed it from there ..would highly reccomend :) ..max 2 hrs walkin to the top from there :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 pm

You have just posted some of the most stunning pictures I have ever seen.Sgurr na Stri has always been near the top of my to do list its just of matter of making the time to do it.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:09 pm

If there's one hill you would want a clear day for, this is it! Stunning :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Lenore » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:56 pm

malky_c wrote:If there's one hill you would want a clear day for, this is it! Stunning :D

Excellent photos!!!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Musicfinder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:06 am

Lenore wrote:
malky_c wrote:If there's one hill you would want a clear day for, this is it! Stunning :D

Excellent photos!!!!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I agree that we had picked the perfect weather day to do this walk.
Musicfinder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 am

Stunning day and pristine photographs of an amazing landscape. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland