walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Carn a'Chlamain

Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Carn a'Chlamain

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Carn a'Chlamain

Date walked: 03/07/2013

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 48 km

Ascent: 2121m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Blair.jpg

The plan here was to try do the Beinn a’Ghlo hills as well a big day and ask. I drove up to Loch Moraig to leave car and take bike downhill to the car park at Old Bridge of Tilt and set off up the road, really I should have taken bike further up to save a bit of time, as didn't leave car till 9am. Took the right fork then right at crossroads leading towards rifle range, then take left fork above the range, good paths and a few gates to go through until out of the forest and you can see Beinn Dearg ahead.

The Rifle Range
004.JPG

Allt Slanaidh is on your right walking in until there’s a ford to cross nothing to difficult just after making the ford I left the track onto a smaller path up the hill-side just below Elrig heading for Beinn a Chait, for time wise I should have stayed on the main track that leads to Dearg but for wildlife and scenery this was better option. Just below a Chait nearly stood on this little fellow, some hares, grouse and lizards around this area, but very wet too and between terrain and taking photo’s was taking a bit too much time.

010.JPG

008.JPG

Pushed on up to Beinn a Chait took in the views around and looked over to the corbett Beinn Mheadhonach which was a possibility too, headed towards the 781 mark on map very haggy and boggy here, after this was able to pick-up main path to summit passing a cairn which could be mistaken for summit in bad weather. Got to summit cairn after 4hrs after setting off, which I thought took a bit long if the Beinn a’Ghlo range was to be done. Spoke to another lady here about the possibility of doing it, which she said was possible and should have the light but her option would be do the Corbett and Carn a’Chlamain and keep Beinn a’Ghlo for another day, will enjoy it more.

Beinn Mheadhonach

014.JPG

Not the summit

016.JPG

So I set off for the Corbett walking just below Elrig’ic an Toisich but decided to leave Corbett and try make up some time and make a decision at Glen Tilt about other 3 munros so I headed for Druim Coire na Minnsich around the 720 mark and made way across to Chlamain. The area between these 2 munro’s is really tough going haggy and marshy, once near the summit you pick up a good path, stunning views from here today.

030.JPG

Refulled again and took the path off summit then leaving the path shortly to cross more haggy ground just above the cliffs of Creag a;Chrochaidh at 720 mark, just beyond here dropped into Glen Tilt to come out at footbridge. Decision now, time was 17.20 and looking up at what was ahead of me knew I was never going to get to do 3 munro’s in 5hrs when light would be fading or gone, even though I had 2 torch’s and the bivvy, after covering 32kl at this stage and the legs a little weary made sense to leave for another day.

Have I time

032.JPG

Footbridge

034.JPG

So made the trek out of the beautiful Glen Tilt still plenty of wildlife about so made the walk enjoyable. Once I got past Marble Lodge made my way over A’Chreag as didn’t fancy the walk to Old Blair to pick bike up for cycle/walk back to car, crossed over the sheep fields towards Monzie and those fences are electric back to car at Loch for just before 21.00.

From A’Chreag

040.JPG

041.JPG

Sheep fields

042.JPG

Picked up bike then to drop off Deans’s poles at Stuart & Fi’s, chat about the day over a cup of tea and plans for the weekend before heading back home.
Tomsie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:59
Grahams:35   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Carn a'Chlamain

Postby Driftwood » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:23 pm

That's quite a walk, even without thoughts of adding Beinn a'Ghlo! You did well to get around "just" the two and back by evening.

I've wondered about combining these two Munros and Beinn Mheadonach (from the north; your photo confirms my impression from maps that the flanks look too steep an approach), but thought that could be pushing it for a day. Still, these look a fine long walk - and a good variety of wildlife about, too.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:200   Corbetts:40
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:19   

Postby soapy27 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Great report and photos there Tomsie :clap: another big day in the hills , would of been epic to do Beinn a Ghlo too
soapy27
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:139
Grahams:18   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:42   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Driftwood wrote: I've wondered about combining these two Munros and Beinn Mheadonach

This would be fine, if a bit long: from Chlamain head west and follow the Allt na Creagan Bhreac to cross the Allt Mhairc above the waterfall, then head fairly directly for the summit of Mheadhonach. From there, head north along the ridge, skirt Carn a'Chiaraidh and Elrig'ic an Toisich on the west side to curl round onto Dearg (a more direct route is possible but likely very rough going: it pays to keep as much height as possible on these hills to avoid the evil bog and heather!).

If you are Corbett and Munro bagging, another option is to do Beinn Dearg, Beinn Bhreac and Beinn Mheadhonach together, leaving Chlamain for an easy day on its own (you can cycle pretty much to the summit if so inclined!).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:89
Grahams:78   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:40   

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Driftwood wrote:I've wondered about combining these two Munros and Beinn Mheadonach (from the north; your photo confirms my impression from maps that the flanks look too steep an approach), but thought that could be pushing it for a day. Still, these look a fine long walk - and a good variety of wildlife about, too.

Where were you thinking of starting from??
Tomsie
Munro compleatist

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:39 pm

soapy27 wrote:Great report and photos there Tomsie :clap: another big day in the hills , would of been epic to do Beinn a Ghlo too

Cheers Dean keeping me fit for a few in the pipeline :D
Tomsie
Munro compleatist

Postby Driftwood » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Tomsie wrote:
Driftwood wrote:I've wondered about combining these two Munros and Beinn Mheadonach (from the north; your photo confirms my impression from maps that the flanks look too steep an approach), but thought that could be pushing it for a day. Still, these look a fine long walk - and a good variety of wildlife about, too.

Where were you thinking of starting from??

Still starting from Glen Tilt, I meant approaching Beinn Mheadonach from the (boggy-sounding) northern end, as jmarkb describes. Though from a nose at past reports on Beinn Bhreac, I might be wise saving this for a long spell of dry weather!

I'm getting to like mixing a Corbett or two in with my Munros. Apart from being slightly less-trodden, they often seem to be good viewpoints to look back at (or forward to) the high points of a walk.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:200   Corbetts:40
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:01 pm

[/quote]
I'm getting to like mixing a Corbett or two in with my Munros. Apart from being slightly less-trodden, they often seem to be good viewpoints to look back at (or forward to) the high points of a walk.[/quote]

Few Corbetts I have done have being long walks plus some steeep one's. Grahams nearly always quite and no clag on the top :lol:
Tomsie
Munro compleatist

Postby ScottishLeaf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Well done Tomsie, cracking effort. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cannae believe you were even contemplating Beinn a'Ghlo and these two!!

When we did Beinn Dearg on it's own in the winter, we took a wrong turn after the bothy and ended up on Beinn a'Chaitt. It's a fair old slog up out of the bealach to that fake summit cairn. Twenty miles for one munro was brutal enough :lol:
ScottishLeaf
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Tomsie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am

Cheers Bryan ots a big day just for the one, deff a bike in
Tomsie
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:23 am

Though from a nose at past reports on Beinn Bhreac, I might be wise saving this for a long spell of dry weather!

If you go over the tops, the rough boggy ground is limited to a couple of km each way crossing the headwaters of the Tarf. The rest of the 35km is fast, easy, walking!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:89
Grahams:78   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:40   

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:54 am

Great report & plenty of wildlife on your travels, quite a walk :clap: :clap:

Am being a bit of a wimp & only doing Beinn Dearg this coming week :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:46
Grahams:35   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:111   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Tomsie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Great report & plenty of wildlife on your travels, quite a walk :clap: :clap:

Am being a bit of a wimp & only doing Beinn Dearg this coming week :lol: :lol:

If I was doing it on its own would return over Beinn a Chait
Tomsie
Munro compleatist

Postby gman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 am

That's quite a trek, weather was ideal on the day though :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby simon-b » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

That's a big walk, Tomsie. As I've replied to gman, a map and route description for linking these 2 hills is very useful. So thanks to you both.
simon-b
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:156
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland