walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Running Meikle Bin

Running Meikle Bin

Postby NoviceHillrunner » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 02/07/2013

Time taken: 1.333 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 406m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had decided I really needed to do some more hillrunning but I had initially planned to do Dumyat from the easy side (up behind the uni from that Sheriffmuir Road) but a friend suggested Meikle Bin which is longer.

Our party was made up of four humans and three dogs, and the weather was typical July weather - yes we were running up into a big raincloud but somehow when you've got good company, it doesn't seem to matter so much.

I was surprised to put in the first mile in under ten minutes but I did slow considerable for the rest of the climb which involved a combination of walking and running. We canicrossed the dogs to the summit, but due to the absence of any lifestock we allowed them to free run on the way back down and this absolutely delighted them.

The descent was great fun, although I had to be a bit cautious due to the rain making my specs impossible to see through! The gps watch logged 406m elevation gain and total time for ascent and descent was 1 hour 21 minutes.

Given the weather, there was sadly no view from the top on this occasion but I love the Carron Valley and will definitely be going back on a clear to check the view from Meikle Bin and see if I can run it a touch better than the last time...

If walking the whole route, I would say this would make for a very pleasant meander and would be suitable for families, picnics and it won't take you long to get there from anywhere in the central belt. Lovely wee hill.
NoviceHillrunner

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland