walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lendrick Hill - Great Views for a wee hill

Lendrick Hill - Great Views for a wee hill

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lendrick Hill

Date walked: 04/07/2013

Time taken: 0.8 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 232m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having walked Steele's Knowe it was a short 10 minute drive down to the parking area for this wee hill. Another big empty parking area just off the Dunning to Yetts O' Muckhart road.

The track through the woods is winding and on an easy ascent until reaching a small cairn on the right of the track. A narrow track can be seen heading steeply uphill through a fire break and there is also a small sign pointing the way.

The climb through the fire break is pretty steep in places but just before leaving the trees behind the gradient eases and the summit can be seen. From the edge of the tree line to the summit cairn only takes about 5 minutes and there is a trig point about 100 yards from the cairn.

First surprise was the view over to Loch Leven which I hadn't expected (a quick glance at the map or more careful review of previous WH reports would have told me) and the second was just how good the views are with so little height gained. By now it was about 7.30pm and the best of the day was long gone but the views were still terrific with extensive views of the Forth estuary and to the east beyond Loch Leven and the Lomonds.

The one thing I had noted from Rod's report was the descent of this hill in the wet and tonight the ground was wet and very slippy. Once back in the woods and on the steeper part of the descent it is worth taking care on the sections where there is little grass as they are treacherous. One of those rare descents which almost take as long as the climb up. Maybe it's time to invest in some poles, then again maybe they wouldn't have made much difference and I should be looking more at my boots which don't seem to have much tread left.

Once back down on the main forestry track it's just 10 minutes back to the car and the hill itself only took about 50 minutes including 10 minutes at the top. This is a hill I would definitely go back to on a clear day as the views are great and you could spend ages taking in the scenery.

Some pics....

Pic 1.jpg
Parking area

Pic 2.jpg
Start of the walk

Pic 3.jpg
Nice easy incline to get the legs going

Pic 4.jpg
Looking over towards the turbines on Steels's Knowe

Pic 5.jpg
And again

Pic 6.jpg
Leaving the Forestry Commission track behind

Pic 7.jpg
The gradient eases

Pic 8.jpg
Out of the woods & the view to the summit

Pic 9.jpg
Summit cairn

Pic 10.jpg
Trig point looking towards The Ochils

Pic 11.jpg
Loch Leven and the Lomonds

Pic 12.jpg
Approaching the dodgy descent

Pic 13.jpg
Zoomed view over the Forth 5 minutes away from the car

Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Lendrick Hill - Great Views for a wee hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:41 pm

I liked this hill, pity the descent was quite so slippy, really had to concentrate and take my time or there might have been a long sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide down :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Nice one G! Now let's see you get your walking gear round the neighbouring Innerdouny Hill and see if yer still smiling after that! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby gmr82 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Nice walk Gordon, I had hoped to do this after Tarmangie and Innerdownie but the deep snow held me right up. Made it back to your 'training ground' yesterday and went up Deuchary Hill (from Guay) - even nicer in the summer. May well save Lendrick for a wee winter walk
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:40 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:I liked this hill, pity the descent was quite so slippy, really had to concentrate and take my time or there might have been a long sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide down :lol: :lol:

Yip, I was the same, probably the slowest descent off a hill I've had in ages.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Graeme D wrote:Nice one G! Now let's see you get your walking gear round the neighbouring Innerdouny Hill and see if yer still smiling after that! :lol:

Just curious Graeme....................as a kid, did you pick the wings off daddy long legs? :wink:

By coincidence, I was reading your report on Innerdouny on Thursday night - sounds like Crock all over again - think I'll try it on early finish Thursday.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby 147cjl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Nice one, did the same 3 weeks ago, could see the Tay and the Forth from the top. Descended down through a fire break into the South Queich which is a nice wee place. Followed last week by Green Law and Borland Glen (beware the angry bulls!)
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:12 pm

147cjl wrote:Nice one, did the same 3 weeks ago, could see the Tay and the Forth from the top. Descended down through a fire break into the South Queich which is a nice wee place. Followed last week by Green Law and Borland Glen (beware the angry bulls!)

Hi 147cjl

You must have had better visibility than me (or you have better eye sight!).

I saw South Queich from the road on the way home, it looked really narrow and fairly steep sided. Did you head NW on to the Dunning road or SE towards the A91??

Had to check where Green Law was - slap bang in the middle of the two hills I did last Thursday (Steele's Knowe and Lendrick Hill)
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby 147cjl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi Gordie, aye it was a perfectly clear day. I headed NE straight off lendrick hill summit down the fire break, it's steep at the bottom going into Glen Queich but easy enough. Then headed SE through the Queich, which is a lovely wee place, but there's no path as such, you just need to pick your way along and cross the burn a few times. I headed SW after Dropping Craig at the end of the forest, on forestry tracks then along field edges down to Thorntonhill farm, then down onto the A91, though you can walk along tracks probably through Middleton Fossoway and Wester Fossoway farms. It's worth a wee visit, no one goes there, except maybe the odd gold panner.
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland