walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

hot, Hot, HOT in Glen Lyon

hot, Hot, HOT in Glen Lyon

Postby Frigate » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Buidhe, Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 07/07/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.7 km

Ascent: 1010m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great ideas of a circular walk from Pubil taking in Maell Buidhe, Sron a'Choire Cnapanich and Stuchd an Lochain.
MWIS gave the temperature as max 14C with light winds - ideal, reality was 25C and melt down.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left the car at 08.20 and decided to climb via Meall Phubuill from the lochside track, quite steep on soft tussock grass until the upper slopes towards spot height 796 where there were lots of pools and moss hags to cross.

IMG_0269.jpg
Loch Lyon dam

IMG_0270.jpg
Loch Lyon

IMG_0271.jpg
796 spot with Meall Buidhe behind

IMG_0272.jpg
Meall Buidhe

IMG_0273.jpg
Sron a'Choire Cnapanich

The top of Coire nam Aighean bealach at 709m has a few hags to negotiate but nothing too much.
Steady climb to the top of MB in 2hrs 20mins but the light breeze had dropped away and the small stones at the summit started to reflect the heat. Stopped for elevenses and the view, which stretched around from the back door of Beinn a Chreachain, the black mount, big bookle, mamores, the Ben, Ben Alder et al.

IMG_0276.jpg
Meall Buidhe from 796 spot height

IMG_0278.jpg
Back door to Beinn a Chreachain

IMG_0277.jpg
Meal Buidhe summit

To avoid the hags in the bealach I traversed round ridge to come off the shoulder of the hill below them, slowly loosing height then dropping off to the Feith Thulam stream. I followed a faint path above the stream on right bank which peterd out in rough ground. I should have crossed to left bank for better path as height loss to aviod hags at the bottom of Cnapanich was minimal,

IMG_0279.jpg
Feith Thalain route down to and climb up Creag Doire nam Nathrach

IMG_0280.jpg
Looking back up passed Creag a Chaorainn

Following the stream was like being in a furnace, no breeze, dircet strong sunlight and high hummidity. Kept stopping to soak the hat in water from the side streams but it did not take long for it to dry out. It was a slow climb up Creag Doire nam Nathrach with plenty of stops Took just under two hours to top out on Sron Cnapanich at 12.48.

IMG_0281.jpg
Summit of Sron a'Choire Cnapanich with Stuchd an Lochain behind

IMG_0282.jpg
Loch an Daimh

IMG_0283.jpg
Very nearly trod on this wee mite

By the time I reached the top of Cnapanich it was no longer fun so I decided to call it a day and head out. The climb to Stuchd an Lochain via Meallan Odhar would have been relatively gentle but not for today, I was wiped out.

Turning for home I was to descent to Bealach a'Maim then to the Alt Phulbuill track but stretched over the hags and pools in the bealach was a herd of about 80 cows. So to give them a wide berth I went downhill towards the Feith a'Bhealaich. Walking past them at about 400mtrs distance when up came one head, two, three and more; then the running started.
Oh dear, I thought I had left my 'ugly face' at home as they all galloped away from me. Thought I was going to get done for cruelty to animals as they did not stop for about 1/2km.

IMG_0284.jpg
Back up to Sa'CC from the dam on the Alt Phubuill

IMG_0285.jpg
Meall Ghaordaidh

Arrived back at the car at 14.20, six hours dead and I felt like it.

IMG_0286.jpg
Lodge gates where you exit out onto the road

IMG_0287.jpg
Loch lyon dam

IMG_0288.jpg
Pubil Glen Lyon

I had weighed myself on Saturday morning at 13st 7lbs, I took 3 ltrs of liquids with me (6.6 lbs) and weighed myself on return 13st 4lbs. A loss of 10lbs counting the liquid intake, even had the wife weigh herself incase the scales were out - but no they were OK.
Think I'll be back up there next weekend - slimming club anybody?
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: hot, Hot, HOT in Glen Lyon

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:58 pm

haha my kind of weight loss regimen . Keep meaning to get back up this way to do an Lochain, hopefully sometime in August when Im in the area.

Well done on getting around in that heat. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Great views over Rannoch Moor from Meall Buidhe :D . By coincidence, I did exactly this route today in identical weather 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Malckyb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:33 pm

we did this one yesterday too..we probably passed you. was a great day for it!! :D
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Frigate » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:30 pm

GillC wrote:haha my kind of weight loss regimen . Keep meaning to get back up this way to do an Lochain, hopefully sometime in August when Im in the area.

Well done on getting around in that heat. :clap:

Not quite the round I had intended but enough for me. Looks like you had an epic day on Goatfell.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby Frigate » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:38 pm

malky_c wrote:Great views over Rannoch Moor from Meall Buidhe :D . By coincidence, I did exactly this route today in identical weather 8)

Both Glens Lochy and Lyon have some great 'wee' hills around them and until you see the tops of the establishment hills to the west its hard to imagine you are almost in Tyndrum's backyard.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby Frigate » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Malckyb wrote:we did this one yesterday too..we probably passed you. was a great day for it!! :D

Rare as it is I was all alone for this one and was suprised to find half a dozen cars next to mine when I got back.
Did speak briefly to a couple who came back down the loch track and stopped on the river bank for a picnic
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:35 pm

You were 13st 7lbs when you started?,think you should get a third opinion on those scales :lol: Only kiddin :wink: Been looking at these 2 for a wee while now,best done in a dry spell me thinks,well done Kev :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Ian Bayne » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Aye have to agree with you there pigeon . I must be adonis on them scales. Good report Kev you should have given me a shout . I opted for Glen Devon. Thought it would have been a wee bit warm for big hills .
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Frigate » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 pm

pigeon wrote:You were 13st 7lbs when you started?,think you should get a third opinion on those scales :lol: Only kiddin :wink: Been looking at these 2 for a wee while now,best done in a dry spell me thinks,well done Kev :thumbup:

That's it I'm back to comfort eating! BooHoo. Still have to go back for an Lochain, would be nice to walk over to Gorton bothy and out by Achaladair.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby Frigate » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Ian Bayne wrote:Aye have to agree with you there pigeon . I must be adonis on them scales. Good report Kev you should have given me a shout . I opted for Glen Devon. Thought it would have been a wee bit warm for big hills .

I followed the weather, didn't think and so got boiled.
Sent you a PM with an date outline on it especially a possible for Starav again.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:34 pm

It's not often we complain about MWIS being on the pessimistic side but it did look hot ! Great day for it and a good job you managed to avoid the chick - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:39 am

Did this walk yesterday hot - but not That hot! Fantastic views from both summits - The Ben really stands out . At least be glad the Cows ran away from, and not towards you. They're still there
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland