walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Drumochter High Camp

A Drumochter High Camp

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 am

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 07/07/2013

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 760m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drumochter Wild Camp

Video report:

The plan was to do another overnighter on top of a new Corbett with the new tent – however there was the small matter of the Wimbledon final on the same day!!

Well after the great result I decided on taking advantage of the glorious weather but heading up a hill near by which was not too much of an effort. Geal Charn at Drumochter was the chosen hill and I set off around 18.45. I was walking by 19.30 and the hangover from earlier was at last starting to disappear !! Took about an hour to reach the summit and as always the views from the top over to the Alder group and up Loch Ericht were fantastic.

Now to find a nice place to sick the tent – this took longer than the walk!! Too many stones !! I Eventually found a spot around 200m north west of the summit which was ok – great views down Loch Ericht, but still very uneven ground!!
I loitered around for a few hours and got some pictures and photos before hitting the hay.

A few hours later and I was up and the tent was away. The skies were looking good back over towards the summit and the East so I head back up to the top of Geal Charn and watched the sunrise – amazing – no winds and more incredibly – no midges!! Couldn’t believe my luck.

More photos and I decided to head round and up onto A’Mharconaich, all the time keep my eyes open for any signs of the lost dog.

The views from the top were grand – excellent visibility – reckon it was around 07.00 by now so headed back for car which I reached and headed off . Made it home by 09.00. Fantastic wee trip up some local (ish) hills 

wilkiemurray

Re: A Drumochter High Camp

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Loving the video Wilkie, a wild camp on/near a Munro summit is on my list.

Great pictures of you waiting for the sun :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Malckyb » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Great pics..would love to do that sometime! :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Backpacker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Did the 4 on Sunday, cracking walk round, think everyone took the same photo looking down Loch Ericht :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm

skuk007 wrote:Loving the video Wilkie, a wild camp on/near a Munro summit is on my list.

Great pictures of you waiting for the sun :)

Thanks skukoo7 - if u get good weather - it's great - don't expect too much sleep though!!
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Malckyb wrote:Great pics..would love to do that sometime! :)

Ta very much
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Backpacker wrote:Did the 4 on Sunday, cracking walk round, think everyone took the same photo looking down Loch Ericht :lol:

Definitely best view from thedrumochter hills In my opinion - love the view when you crest teal charn
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland