walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Islands in the clouds from Beinn Narnain

Islands in the clouds from Beinn Narnain

Postby Flo-go » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 10/07/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1325m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After doing Ben Lomond yesterday morning I felt like another round with the mountains. I having to be back in Glasgow at 3pm meant a 6 hr window to do both Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime. Should be easy enough right?

We got to the car park at Succoth a smidgen before 8am. The cloud was hanging at around 500m and although this had been forecast it was still disappointing to know we were going into the clag. With no sign of movement in the air and a car park full of midges we quickly set off following the WH route. It has been so dry recently that the 'stream' read about in previous trip reports was for once actually posing as a real path.

The going was steep and for me rather slow as the legs were feeling it a little after yesterday's Ben Lomond and a 10km walk round glasgow (to get a map for today, very happy I did!) The heart was soon pumping and we were gaining height quickly. We were making good progress until the clouds enveloped us just after the first little scramble where you hit the first boggy bit and sudden 'lack of path'. We soon found it again and were on our way. Visibility was about 20-30m - we were not in danger of hurtling over unseen cliffs but it was still a little disorientating at times. As we neared the Cruach nam Miseag the sun started to be noticeable from above, we still couldn't see anything, but were very aware of being roasted. Reaching the top of the false summit the ghostly outline of the actual summit loomed and in the mist it looked HUGE (and really far away). Luckily it wasn't and we were soon out of the clouds and looking at the spearhead.

the views on the ascent

starting to come out of the clouds

scrambling through the gully beside the spearhead

Coming out of the gully we were rewarded with a magnificent inversion and the top of Ben Lomond peeking through the sea of cloud. Soon the summit cairn was reached in a total of 1hr 45mins with amazing views all around. We stayed at the top for 15 minutes just soaking in the views and wanting to delay the inevitable return to the clouds before our ascent of Beinn Ime.

Ben Lomond in a sea of cloud

the Cobbler

mountain islands

Beinn Ime

Coming off Beinn Narnain, about to be swallowed by the cloud

The walk to the Bealach was uneventful, once the path got vague we walked in the right direction and were soon at the fence. My legs were protesting quite badly on the ascent but we weren't going to stop now. Passed some sheep whilst bog hopping and attempting to follow the path as well as we could and got overtaken by a hill runner doing The Cobbler, Beinn Ime and Beinn Narnairn in a morning before work! Got to the top of Beinn Ime about 3 1/2hrs after setting off from the car park. Again we were rewarded with spectacular views and met a gentleman at the top who was doing the same circuit. He left after a short chat and we had the mountain to ourselves. The sea of clouds was becoming rougher and was moving higher up, swallowing first The Cobbler and then Beinn Narnain.

view from the top

and again, Ben Lomond disappearing under now much more turbulent looking clouds

After a lovely half hour basking in the sun and eating trail mix we got going again leaving 2 hrs to get back down.
I had taken a bearing using the map (and the summit of Beinn Narnain for practice) before our descent back to the bealach but for once we had no problems following the path.
Soon we met the good path that comes down from the cobbler. As it was in cloud we decided to give it a miss, will have to come back another day. The path was a bit boring to walk along without views, but the legs were loving this much easier walking. The cloud level was slowly increasing and later on in the day it might even clear up. There were now hordes walking up towards the cobbler, but they too would probably be too early for any views.

We caught up with the gentleman from the summit towards the end and made the descent in just over 1 1/2hrs.
Quickly into the car before the midges noticed and back to Glasgow for 2.45pm. A brilliant walk and a great start to the multiple Munro days!

Arrochar and Loch Long on the way down
Last edited by Flo-go on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flo-go

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Islands in the clouds from Beinn Narnain

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Some nice inversions there, it's always nice to walk through the clouds to views like that. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Backpacker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I love views like that, I got the same on Beinn Dubh (Luss) back in February, stunning day out and quite warm

Narnain & Ime are good walks as is The Cobbler,
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 pm

wow , great inversions so early into your munro bagging career :clap:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Lovely :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby denfinella » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Wow... that view of Ben Lomond poking through is one of the most spectacular inversion photos I've ever seen! I hope I get a view like that one day!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Amazing photos!!
wilkiemurray

Postby Flo-go » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm

It really was amazing up there. Walked into town and back today and don't feel too sore.

Can't wait to go out again (Thinking An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin tomorrow to get a few more in the bag)
Flo-go

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Wow some day you had, great pics above the clouds
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland