walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach

Aonach Eagach

Postby gman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 am

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 10/07/2013

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1772m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ae 10-7-2013 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Did this last year for the first time, now when I drive through Glen Coe it looks down seductively as I pass by to bag less interesting hills :lol: Last time I tagged along with 3 experienced climbers, we took a dirt bypass path to the north near the pinnacles which turned out to be the trickiest part of the walk - this time I would be sticking to the ridge. And we descended from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh, it's steep scree initially so not the best route. I read someone recommend the best way down is actually to turn around and go back along the AE to Am Bodach then take the nice path down to the car. Sounds obvious & you get to do the ridge twice :D

Low cloud covered all the summits as I drove to Glen Coe, but who cares about clag when you're on the AE :D . Fine steep path, scree and rock in places. Getting into the cloud now:

Hard work, but Am Bodach reached quickly - and above the clouds now. Cairns & the Ben:

The ridge descends so it's in cloud.

Bidean:

The Ben, Grey Corries etc.

Next, onto the ridge and the first tricky bit - descent from Am Bodach. Actually, none of the scrambling is really tricky: it's just exposed and it took a few minutes to adjust from being a 'walker' to a 'scrambler'. After that I automatically looked at the rock for crampon scratches, footholds & well-worn handholds. It's like going through peat hags, bit of a shock initially then you become a black belt bog hopper :lol:

Got my first brocken spectre:

Back to Am Bodach.

Pinnacles from Meall Dearg:

Chimney:

More scrambly bits:

Ballachulish from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh:

Then turned round and headed back to Stob Coire Leith. The ridge looks more imposing when you're looking towards Am Bodach, all the scrambling is reversed so it doesn't feel like retracing your steps and the bits that were too vertical to descend can now be tackled.

A better view ahead:

Saw some other walkers on the ridge now, one was getting close then disappeared so I thought they must have taken the dodgy bypass path. I waited on top of a pinnacle for them to reappear & asked how it was - "horrible...horrible". "Much easier staying on the top", I offered helpfully :lol: .

Started to pass more people, up till then I'd had the playground to myself. One had brought his two kids, who were having a great time.

From Meall Dearg again, less clag this time:

Am Bodach ahead:

Chancellor, basically a walk down to it:

Towards Glencoe from the Chancellor

Obligatory Buachailles shot:

Then back down the path, steep with loose scree in places but much better than descending from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh. Best way to do the AE? :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Aonach Eagach

Postby Musicfinder » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Your walk description makes me want to pack my bags for another visit for this walk alone. Fantastic photographs too! :clap: :clap:
Musicfinder

Postby pigeon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Ace,always like seeing reports from the AE,we went on to the pap of Glencoe after the ridge on descended the regular path from there,nice easy descent that way :wink: Some great pics gman,well done :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Some wonderful photographs there gman, I guess they might put some folk off :lol: Looks like a fabulous weather day on top! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rohan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Great photos.
Like Pigeon, we came off by the Pap.
rohan

Postby gman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 pm

Hopefully the photos don't make it look too tricky...on the other hand I kept hearing 'One does not simply walk into Mordor' in my head on the way back to Am Bodach :lol:
gman

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 pm

gman wrote:Hopefully the photos don't make it look too tricky...on the other hand I kept hearing 'One does not simply walk into Mordor' in my head on the way back to Am Bodach :lol:

Have still to take this on and the photos are a great help - don't terrify me too much.....honest (gulp) :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Grand photos a bhalaich :clap:

Only two within spitting distance of my home I ain't done yet ,saving them for my final two ...

Well I was :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby scooby0511 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Nice report and photographs. I plan to do this walk this Summer and you have made me want to do it even more.
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3

Postby MG1976 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Nice report and some great pictures. Thanks for sharing. A perfectly timed report, with a few WH'ers planning to take this on at the end of August. Think I'll add a link to your repot (on that thread), if you don't mind. Might let those going see what they're in for.
Thanks again for sharing.
Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5

Postby GillC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:46 am

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH what HAVE I let myself in for ??? :shock:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby gman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am

GillC wrote:AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH what HAVE I let myself in for ??? :shock:

Mwahaha! Seriously, it's a lot easier than it looks in the photos. I was pretty apprehensive the first time I did it, but it was fine. Then I got back and read some other reports and thought 'that looks terrifying, you'd never catch me up there!' :lol: .
gman

Postby Bejam » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 am

Great report

Took the bull by the pinnacles and done it last tuesday for the first time as well.
Bejam

Postby PeteR » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:43 am

Superb 8) 8)

Personally I had a couple of "squeaky bum" moments when I did this walk, but still enjoyed it all the same. Your photos certainly capture both the reason this is such a special ridge as well as the reason it can have people's knees knocking :D :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:18 pm

great report and superb photos - looks like you hit the jackpot :clap: fantastic
wilkiemurray

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland