walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 17/12/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 940m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lovely clear day for a nice wee winter walk. Set out from the car park at Rowerdennan at about 0900hrs. Weather was cold and I could see that there was some snow and some ice on top of the hill.
Photo0273.jpg
Top looking a bit icy.
Spent the first hour huffing and puffing my way up onto the ridge. Once up there the views opened out a bit and with the clear weather I could see well in all directions.
Photo0279.jpg
Looking back down Loch Lomond.

Once I got up to the bottom of the main part of the hill the snow and ice really started to build up.
Photo0290.jpg
Bit slippy now.
Wondered a couple of times about turning back but made sure to just take my time and be careful :? . Wasn't using crampons or anything so at times it was a bit slippy.

Got to the top after about 2 hours and found the trig point.
Photo0304.jpg
Trig point with the Arrochar Alps in the background.
Photo0308.jpg
Snow and ice on the top ridge. Spot the person on it?
Clear (but very cold now) weather was holding well and the views were great in all directions.
Photo0312.jpg
From the top ridge looking west.
Photo0298.jpg
The Arrochar Alps. From left to right - The Cobbler, Ben Narnain, Ben Ime, A'Chrois, Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich.
Met a couple at the top who had came up the Ptarmigan Ridge using crampons etc. They decided to go back down the 'tourist route'.

All in it took me about 4 hours from start to finish. Was a great day for a walk and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland