walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Buttress route to the summit of The Buachaille....

North Buttress route to the summit of The Buachaille....

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 06/07/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

North Buttress – The Buachaille

Video Report:

The weather had been good all week, however the forecast for Saturday for the Western Highlands was not so good – cloud bases at best 700m and a risk of rain moving in - with high winds on the summits and ridges 
Determined, we set of from Altnafeadh around 09.30am with the weather looking not too bad. The morning was meant to be better than the afternoon so we got going. We had done The North Buttress route a couple of years ago in torrential rain and my lasting memory from that trip was water streaming down my arm every time I reached up for a hold! I was told it was one of the best routes up the Buachaille – with amazing views – hopefully I would experience these views today!!

Before we even reached the start of the route, clothing was shed as the sun was beating down – a pleasant surprise given the forecast. The weather turned out to be fantastic all the way to the summit  - for once the forecast was wrong but in our favour!!

We scrambled up until the first easy chimney where we roped up. A few easy moves and we were onto the ledge above. My turn to lead through and up the harder chimney – fantastic fun. Beyond this we did another couple of pitches before scrambling up to the summit Alpine style for some practice. The weather was awesome and so were the views! The only thing to watch out for on this route is the amount of loose rock so careful foot placements are necessary to reduce the likely hood of dislodging rock onto climbers below!
The summit was busy when we reached it – the route virtually tops out right on the summit! A spot of lunch and we were heading back down before midday. On the descent the weather started to turn with infilling cloud and windier conditions. The forecasted rain arrived in a timely fashion – just as we drove off! A fantastic day and probably my favourite route to the summit of the Buachaille so far!!

wilkiemurray

Re: North Buttress route to the summit of The Buachaille....

Postby brpro26 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Hardcore stuff...looks a fantastic day with incredible views. A bit harder than Curved Ridge.
The white car in one of the clips is doing about 160mph..... :shock:

No so keen on the music it distracted me from the main event....but that's just me saying. :clap:

Appreciate the effort you put into making the video for us to share the experience from the front seat.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks bro pro - will mix music up next time :lol:

Ps the white car was my ride home - took 5 mins ! :crazy:
wilkiemurray

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Now that looks like an exciting day out!
Wish I was brave enough to do something similar :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland