walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Innerdouny Hill - By The Tourist Trail

Innerdouny Hill - By The Tourist Trail

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Innerdouny Hill

Date walked: 13/07/2013

Time taken: 1.7 hours

Distance: 9.2 km

Ascent: 270m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Early finish Thursday and a chance to take in another sub 2000 before heading for home. I seemed to be working my way East along The Ochils so the obvious next target was Innerdouny Hill (before receiving these comments after my report on Lendrick Hill)

Graeme D » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Nice one G! Now let's see you get your walking gear round the neighbouring Innerdouny Hill and see if yer still smiling after that! :lol:User avatar
Graeme D

As preparation for Innerdouny I did my usual research and read the reports on WH. As usual, Graeme D has been here before me and has an excellent report which is as usual a great read. The most important lesson I took from his experience was the importance of parking in the correct car park, it really can make all the difference. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, on a baking hot late afternoon I headed down the Dunning - Yetts o Muckhart road (giggling as I passed the Graeme D Littlerig car park). As I parked up at the southern Littlerig car park the car temp was 79 degrees and there was little sign of any breeze so it was going to be hot hot hot.

1 Parking.jpg
Parking area

2 Start.jpg
Forestry track from the car park

I had only gone a few yards when the flies started to arrive and it didn't take long before the arms were going windmill fashion as I tried to fend the little buggers off.

After about 100 yards there is a warning about tree works but it's now 4.30pm and the forest is silent (apart from the flies) so hopefully I can just walk through any areas of felling.

The track is gradually climbing and there are large areas of clear felling which allow me to see the summit within 5 minutes of leaving the car.

3.jpg

4.jpg

This walk is really straight forward and there are only two points where you need to do anything other than follow the obvious track. After about a mile at the junction in the pic below, take the track off to the right.

5 Junction.jpg

Still in a clear felled area there are decent views all around but it's pretty hazy so a bit limited today. Just before the track enters an enclosed bit of the forest there are some stacked logs. Not sure why but wherever I find these, I have to photograph them. They all look the same no matter where they were taken but I don't seem to be able to tell myself to just walk past.

6 Logs.jpg

Once in to the forest it feels a little bit cooler but a battalion of flies descend on me and the windmill action is brought back in to play. After a few minutes in the forest I arrived at what I assume is workers caravans. They seem to be in use with Sky dishes on the ground and loads of empty milk cartons scattered about but there didn't seem to be anyone inside as all the windows and doors were shut and surely it would be roasting inside.

7 Caravans.jpg

The caravans are positioned at the point where there is open hill and an obvious point to leave the track and head uphill following a narrow path running parallel with a fence and the trees (on my left).

8 Open Hill.jpg

It's an easy gradient from the forestry commission track to the summit and it only took 10 minutes to reach the top on the easy grassy track.

9 Looking towards summit.jpg

10 Summit.jpg

11.jpg
Looking down at the track from the summit

12 Loch Leven.jpg
Very hazy Loch Leven

I was hoping there would be a decent breeze at the top and some of the flies would leave me in peace but it was flat calm so with poor hazy views it was a quick turn around and I was off back down the hill retracing my steps back to the car.

13 Heading Home.jpg

14.jpg

On the descent I was looking for any evidence of Graeme's route when I noticed this section of forest. I have a feeling he came through here machete in hand, head torch on :lol: :lol: :lol:

15 Graeme D Route.jpg

Thank you to Mr Ian Bayne for walking this hill last sunday with his dog and posting his report/route.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:112   Corbetts:63
Grahams:18   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Innerdouny Hill - By The Tourist Trail

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Not many people call me mister its a nice wee walk sod trying to do the stanley / livingstone malarky
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Grahams:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Ian Bayne wrote:Not many people call me mister its a nice wee walk sod trying to do the stanley / livingstone malarky

With you there, tourist trail wins the day!!

I've enjoyed the sub 2000 Ochils to the east of the Glendevon road, nice views and handy wee walks for after work.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm going your way Gordie, do your homework that's what I say! apart from the flies a piece of cake, next time I'm passing I'm up there, but maybe leave it until a colder day. :wink:

Graeme D's trail or Tourist trail, yep it's the tourist trail :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:I'm going your way Gordie, do your homework that's what I say! apart from the flies a piece of cake, next time I'm passing I'm up there, but maybe leave it until a colder day. :wink:

Graeme D's trail or Tourist trail, yep it's the tourist trail :lol: :lol:

GD is recommending Mount Hill for me next so I'm just about to read the reports to see what he is lining up for me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 am

Bunch o' big girls blouses, all o' yous! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for posting this report, I enjoy walking the hills in the Ochils but have yet to venture to Lendrick or Innerdouny. Think I will try and get these two done before the summer nights are out. A little wary of walking past the caravans though lol
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Graeme D wrote:Bunch o' big girls blouses, all o' yous! :lol:

It's been said before and it'll be said again :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Thanks for posting this report, I enjoy walking the hills in the Ochils but have yet to venture to Lendrick or Innerdouny. Think I will try and get these two done before the summer nights are out. A little wary of walking past the caravans though lol

Hi Sarah86

Of the 2 hills I preferred Lendrick but both are good, thoughts are probably influenced by the clearer night I had on Lendrick and the surprise (not sure why - apart from stupidity) of the views to the east with Loch Leven and beyond, as well as the views down to the Forth. It felt a little bit like cheating to get such great views for so little height gained.

I know what you mean about walking past the caravans.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Thanks for posting this report, I enjoy walking the hills in the Ochils but have yet to venture to Lendrick or Innerdouny. Think I will try and get these two done before the summer nights are out. A little wary of walking past the caravans though lol

Take care coming down off Lendrick hill Sarah86, can be very slippy in the wet, but apart from that a cracking wee walk! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks guys, think I will head to Lendrick hill first but be prepared for a fall :lol:
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Miniowner » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for this great report, i followed your directions today and they are spot on ! :D This is a nice quick sub 2k and both the start point and trig point are easy to find using your directions :clap: I have to admit to usually following Graeme D's reports but in this case didn't really fancy his route lol, :crazy: . It only took me about 2 hours round trip with my labrador India and also a note to Sarah86..the caravans are no longer there!
Miniowner
Hill Bagger

Munros:76   Corbetts:18
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:36 pm

Miniowner wrote:Thanks for this great report, i followed your directions today and they are spot on ! :D This is a nice quick sub 2k and both the start point and trig point are easy to find using your directions :clap: I have to admit to usually following Graeme D's reports but in this case didn't really fancy his route lol, :crazy: . It only took me about 2 hours round trip with my labrador India and also a note to Sarah86..the caravans are no longer there!

Hi Miniowner

Glad to hear both you and India enjoyed your walk - hope you got better views than me at the summit as I was there in a heat haze.

Graeme's reports are great but sometimes you need to find room in your rucksack for a chainsaw if you are going to follow in his footsteps :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland