walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Corbetts and the Wee Minister

Two Corbetts and the Wee Minister

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Route description: Cruach Innse and Sgùrr Innse

Corbetts included on this walk: Cruach Innse, Sgùrr Innse

Date walked: 12/07/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 953m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last Friday was always going to be a hot one according to the weathermen with little or no wind forecast, so with bigger and better days to come at the weekend. It made sense that as I was passing through Glen Spean on way to Glen Shiel that a wee wander up the Lairig Leacach on the South side of the village taking the road from Corriechoille farm. After the farm the road has to be driven very slowly to prevent damage to the car suspension. There appears to be no problem taking the car as far as the old railway track/road junction where there is sufficient room for approx three cars. (When I arrived there were a few cows with their calves at this point).
1.JPG
Parking area looking towards Spean Bridge
2.JPG
After passing through a wooden gate just follow the track South, soon after this you will come across the 'Wee Minister' and a collection box on behalf of Lochaber Mountain rescue, please give generously always a good cause and you never know when you might need them.
3.JPG
Wee minister in all his glory
4.JPG
Soon after passing through the wooded area you will see the first corbett Cruach Innse the higher of the two corbetts. Soon after crossing over the bridge at the Alt na Lairige you head on up trackless grassy slopes climbing steadily South East
5.JPG
View of Stob Ban from the slopes of Cruach Innse
6.JPG
One and a half hours after leaving the car I'm at the summit cairn. View South showing the next corbett Sgurr Innse in the foregroung with munro's Stob Coire Eassain and Stob a' Choire Mheadoin in the background
7.JPG
The Grey Corries from the summit
8.JPG
After leaving the summit cairn you will soon notice a difference in the underfoot conditions. Lots of rock all the wat down the South side with the gradient getting quite steep. In bad weather careful route finding could be an issue as there are many crags to catch the unwary out
9.JPG
On the South shoulder before the steepening slopes and zig zag paths
10.JPG
As you are taking your time look back and see a shelter/cave with a sloping floor, maybe handy if caught in a storm from the East
11.JPG
View from second corbett summit cairn reached inside two and a haf hours. Same two munros as from previous hill
12.JPG
Looking North to Cruach Innse. Sgurr Innse is a rocky wee hill but there is a easily identified path to the summit. To descend return the way you have come to the bealachthen strike West to gain the Lairig Leacach

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
13.JPG
Fancy bumping into him when it gets dark
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two Corbetts and the Wee Minister

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Looks lovely up there. Im looking forward to a bit more travelling to further hills next year, collecting the likes of this for my "to-do" list. Smashing. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 pm

GillC wrote:Looks lovely up there. Im looking forward to a bit more travelling to further hills next year, collecting the likes of this for my "to-do" list. Smashing. :clap:

Hi there GillC, two fine wee hills, really enjoyed them, with lots of good views everywhere you looked, different terrain and lots to see en route. I guess your to do list is getting bigger by the day. Good luck on the AE, and look forward to seeing your report :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Done any walks recently where there haven't been any cows??

Another good couple of hills there Rod.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Got these two on my hit list - great piccies - look forward to getting them done :D
wilkiemurray

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 am

wilkiemurray wrote:Got these two on my hit list - great piccies - look forward to getting them done :D

Thank for that 'wilkiemurray' unfortunately with the heat there was a fair bit of haze around, but on a really clear day you would get wonderful views all around, especially over towards the Grey Corries, but a couple of nice corbetts none the less, but watch out over that last part of road if your taking the car, its pretty rough going
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am

Always nice to see this pair Rod - two of the finer Corbetts that I have done. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:11 am

Fantastic report and photos :D

I was eyeing up these hills a few weeks ago en route to the Grey Corries and I thought ' Ooooh they look rather tasty!' - definitely well worth driving along that lumpy bumpy road for :thumbup:

PS in the last pic of the minister, is just me or does it look like he's fishing??? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:53 am

Graeme D wrote:Always nice to see this pair Rod - two of the finer Corbetts that I have done. :D

Hi Graeme,yes I agree two nice wee hills, makes an interesting day, lots to see with different terrain. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:55 am

pollyh33 wrote:Fantastic report and photos :D

I was eyeing up these hills a few weeks ago en route to the Grey Corries and I thought ' Ooooh they look rather tasty!' - definitely well worth driving along that lumpy bumpy road for :thumbup:

PS in the last pic of the minister, is just me or does it look like he's fishing??? :lol:

Thanks for that pollyh33, I had not noticed that, so cannot take any credit for the fishing pose :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Rodmiester, I've got these lined up to tackle on a day along with Stob Ban which we never included in our Grey Corries route. Should make for another fine trip, thanks for your views, cheers :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 am

Bod wrote:Hi Rodmiester, I've got these lined up to tackle on a day along with Stob Ban which we never included in our Grey Corries route. Should make for another fine trip, thanks for your views, cheers :wink: :D :D

Hi Bod, that sounds like a good idea, I must get back up the Grey Corries again, it' been too long since I last visited, I'm hoping to do as a traverse as I have not done that before, but better pick my day right, too hot just now! I see your fav pub is the Kintail Lodge Hotel, I dropped in there last Sat night, what a transformation!!!!! I was last there about 20 yrs ago and it was empty apart from another couple in the pub from guess where Carnoustie, just a few 100yards from where I stayed, but the place was dead :( , Not now!, looks the place to be with loads of choice for food etc, I must go back and try some of the grub. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I had to laugh when I read about the fishing comment...my first thought was it looks like he is having a pee :lol: :lol:
Great photos and that looked like a great day out...I have yet to see the minister!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:56 pm

I thought he was holding a cane....:)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Mountainlove wrote:I had to laugh when I read about the fishing comment...my first thought was it looks like he is having a pee :lol: :lol:
Great photos and that looked like a great day out...I have yet to see the minister!

:lol: :lol: Hey Mountainlove, you will be saying next he was aiming at the two buckets on the ground in front :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland