walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The 12 Munros of the North Glen Shiel Ridge

The 12 Munros of the North Glen Shiel Ridge

by Mountainlove » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Aonach Meadhoin, Càrn Ghluasaid, Ciste Dhubh, Mullach Fraoch-choire, Sàil Chaorainn, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 15/07/2013

Time taken: 21.5 hours

Distance: 40.6 km

Ascent: 4335m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The 12 Munros of the North Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 pm

simon-b wrote:A really excellent two days, ML. It's good to see the spirit of Glen Shiel and Kintail is alive and well, with all those offers of lifts.

Many thanks...and yes it is always good to see people giving lifts to others!!

Bruno wrote:Brilliant, ML!! Really enjoyed that report. I took 2 trips to pull these off!
Well done!! :clap: :clap:

Thank you...even 2 trips is very good going!! :clap: :clap:

goth_angel wrote:Oh to be that fit, that sounds absolutely exhausting but you couldn't have picked a better couple of days for it.
Only done the first 3 of these (great walk) and expect to need 3 more trips to do the rest of them!

Of I think you could do the remaining in 2 trips...the brothers and sisters are great and as soon as you are up there you dont loose too much height!

Graeme D wrote:Gordon Bennett man!!!!!!!! :shock: :clap:

:-) Many thanks :D :D

haringit wrote:I did A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire and Ciste Dhubh in a days outing, and I agree with you, the climb to Ciste Dhubh is a killer! :twisted: Amazing walk!

I am glad you agree with the killer walk...I was not sure if it was due to the fact that I am tired or if it was really that bad :roll:

tomyboy73 wrote:well done, massive walk and very brave to camp out there yourself :clap:

Oh I would be more worried on some camp sites than alone in the hills 8) :lol:

Tomsie wrote:Well done super :clap: :clap:
WINNER

Many thanks :)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Very interesting route, ML :thumbup: I'd also looked at various options for the north side hills but ended up with a different combination - although I did also camp out on the bealach just below Ciste Dhubh (ice on the tent in the morning but I'd taken a full sleeping bag :wink: ). This is the sort of trip which remains long in the memory and lets you get really immersed in the area - well done ! :clap: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am

That's one massive walk with all your stuff. :clap:

I did that lot over 5 separate trips - but that's me, I'm not for rushing! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Read this report last night at work, what an amazing walk & report - well done you :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Ooft don't know how you did that! We were a few hours ahead of you on the sisters but started a day and a half before you!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Wonderful stuff ML, I was up there myself doing the Brothers ridge and others last Saturday, but unlike you had to walk the 5 1/2 mile on the road, pure Hell! :crazy: Great achievement on some wonderful hills, thank goodness for a slight breeze. Hope you treated yourself to a drink at the Cluanie Inn after that effort, well deserved :clap: :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:40 pm

rockhopper wrote:Very interesting route, ML :thumbup: I'd also looked at various options for the north side hills but ended up with a different combination - although I did also camp out on the bealach just below Ciste Dhubh (ice on the tent in the morning but I'd taken a full sleeping bag :wink: ). This is the sort of trip which remains long in the memory and lets you get really immersed in the area - well done ! :clap: - cheers :)

I had a look at some of your long routes and will copy a few in the next few months...some are really good and make sense...specially the ones in Knoydart! Will not go with out a warm sleeping bag- thats for sure :lol:

dogplodder wrote:That's one massive walk with all your stuff. :clap:
I did that lot over 5 separate trips - but that's me, I'm not for rushing! :lol:

Oh sometimes it is nice to take it easy- after all Glen Shiel is magic!!

Fife Flyer wrote:Read this report last night at work, what an amazing walk & report - well done you :clap: :clap:

Many thanks :D

mrssanta wrote:Ooft don't know how you did that! We were a few hours ahead of you on the sisters but started a day and a half before you!

Oh it is not that hard...you just have to keep on walking (my mantra when things get tough) :lol:

The Rodmiester wrote:Wonderful stuff ML, I was up there myself doing the Brothers ridge and others last Saturday, but unlike you had to walk the 5 1/2 mile on the road, pure Hell! :crazy: Great achievement on some wonderful hills, thank goodness for a slight breeze. Hope you treated yourself to a drink at the Cluanie Inn after that effort, well deserved :clap: :clap:

Uh that sounds bad..walking that road is no fun. My treat was a cold swim and a warm beer from the car...the tought of going anywere else was just too much after the 2 days :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby ScottishLeaf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:42 pm

WOW! :D
Think it'd take me about a fortnight to walk all of these at once! :D
What an effort. Hope you enjoy spending Webtogs £60 as well :lol:
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:12 pm

WOW....hard to say anything else really, what an incredible hike and wonderful achievement too, you must look back on that and be (at least) a little pleased with yourself :crazy: Is cairn hugging a thing....I've been missing out :lol:
a swim in the burn followed by a rather warm beer from my car...life does not get any better.

This should be a bumper sticker of serious hikers :lol: :lol:

Well done ML....fantastic hike :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby DougieB » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Glad I could help out another WH member. All the best Dougie :D
DougieB
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3

Postby londonwalker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:27 am

Hi ML super report as ever. Funnily enough I was planning the exact same trip when I come up next week, glad I found this report beforehand, seems like you had a belter of a time if indeed bothered by the (Nick) cleggs . Being older and fatter and unfitter and uglier I may take an extra day over it!! may do the reverse route though...
Could please arrange for Dougie to pick me up at the end too :lol: :lol:
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:29 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:WOW! :D
Think it'd take me about a fortnight to walk all of these at once! :D
What an effort.

Oh I am sure you could do them quicker than 2 weeks :wink: :D

ChrisW wrote:WOW....hard to say anything else really, what an incredible hike and wonderful achievement too, you must look back on that and be (at least) a little pleased with yourself :crazy: Is cairn hugging a thing....I've been missing out :lol:
a swim in the burn followed by a rather warm beer from my car...life does not get any better.

This should be a bumper sticker of serious hikers :lol: :lol:
Well done ML....fantastic hike :clap:

Many thanks Chris...it will be one of those walks I will always remember :D You should try cairn hugging as well...or well in Canada you could always hug a tree on top of a mountain :wink: :lol:

DougieB wrote:Glad I could help out another WH member. All the best Dougie :D

Many thanks again and good luck with your remaining 20!!

londonwalker wrote:Hi ML super report as ever. Funnily enough I was planning the exact same trip when I come up next week, glad I found this report beforehand, seems like you had a belter of a time if indeed bothered by the (Nick) cleggs . Being older and fatter and unfitter and uglier I may take an extra day over it!! may do the reverse route though...
Could please arrange for Dougie to pick me up at the end too :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the route when you walk it and hopefully the weather god are with you!! I am sure you will pick up a lift as well...otherwise try to limb along the route...or one of you can pretent to have a fit (things one might have to do to catch ) :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby mgmt! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:58 pm

well done ML :clap: :clap: :clap:
good to see you taking advantage of the good weather.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Rudolph » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Another well done from me ML. Sorry to be so late adding this but I was kn"£**!ed after our three night effort and reading your report cost me another 2 days of recovery. No way we could have done it in only one night - and the extra water and food we had to carry made us even slower.

It's a pity we missed each other with you being so close behind.

Mountainlove wrote:you just have to keep on walking (my mantra when things get tough) :lol:

As compared to our " Just stop and put the tent up". Oh to be young again
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby jwramsay » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 pm

ML ... "you the (wo)man!"

BTW how did you escape the BBhouse? LOL (Charlie)
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

41 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland