walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scotland at its best - A wild camp above Glen Etive

Scotland at its best - A wild camp above Glen Etive

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Trilleachan, Stob Dubh

Date walked: 15/07/2013

Time taken: 19 hours

Ascent: 1876m

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glen Etive Adventure

An amazing trip.

Can’t really start to put into words how good this was, the video goes some ways to capturing some of the moments experienced but as with everything the memories of being on top of Glen Etive, surrounded by some of Scotland’s most amazing scenery were just simply amazing.

Video report

I have been really active in the great outdoors over the last few weeks in an attempt to get “fed up” or “saturated with the hills. Why you may ask – well, for the next 5-6 weeks I aint going to be getting much outdoorsy stuff done as I have a large landscaping project which needs seeing to in the back garden!! So this was the last trip for a while – and what a way to round off two weeks of magic weather and incredible experiences!:

I got to the end of Glen Etive at around 17.00hrs and packed the tent in my bag and headed skywards (think I was the only person taking the tent away from Glen Etive as it was like on big campsite all the way down the road – can’t blame folks as it is a fantastic place with some awesome pools for a swim in the searing heat!!

The heat made the ascent to Trilleachan tiresome – made harder (and quicker) by a couple of over friendly clegs!! I was starting to dread camping as there was little wind and being on the west coast that usually means one thing – more beasties and more specifically – THE DREADED MIDGE!!
I made the summit in about two and half hours and the views were great – in addition there was a lovely dry spot about ten metres from the summit which was nice and flat and perfect for the tent.

Amazingly – there were no midges (a few fly’s right enough) but no blood suckers – couldn’t believe my luck. I spent the night taking pictures and enjoying the sunset- all in Mediterranean heat – t shirt was not cover by a fleece all night!

I eventually withdrew to the tent after sunset and set the alarm for 04.20 to hopefully catch a sunrise. I checked the Met Office forecast but it said the summits would likely be in cloud in the morning 

Indeed when I awoke I immediately felt the wet dew and condensation on the outer tent and when I stuck my head out – all I could see was the inside of a cloud ;(. I hung around on the summit in the hope it would clear but after 40 minutes I decided to get off the hill and head home – I had planned on trying to do Stob Dubh but decided on binning that, as it was only getting done in good weather !! haha…
Then ………… on my descent and between the two peaks on the Ben Trilleachan – I started to notice more light! Then it happened – the cloud level seemed to drop – and from looking at the cloud from the inside I was suddenly above it- the next hour was incredible and a stopped and took as many pictures and videos as the cameras SD cards and batteries would allow!!!!!!!!!

I eventually pulled myself off the hill and re-evaluated my plans – Stob Dubh was on again. I was tired (didn’t sleep that well as usual, and legs were tired!). Anyway – got to the Starav car park – immediately brewed up a coffee and had breakfast – turned out to be the perfect tonic and my energy levels were back again 
The heat was lower now as I was under the cloud (due to temp inversion) and I headed off with a spring in my step. This lasted until I reached the base of the hill. This is a definite – straight up hill and no matter how good I was feeling the ascent sapped the strength from me – jelly babies were devoured!!!!!!!!!

Didn’t take long for the cloud to burn off and by 10.00 I was sitting on the summit soaking up the views of all the iconic Glencoe and Glen Etive peaks!! An amazing trip!! The only thing that remained was the pool. I had spotted it at the base of the mountain and decided that if it was warm on the way home then I would go for a dip – and that’s exactly what I did (apologies for the skin shots in the video !! I did try and keep it respectable!!!! Haha)

Home by 13.30 and more memories to savour.
A great adventure….

wilkiemurray

Re: Scotland at its best - A wild camp above Glen Etive

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Oh My God!!! that just about sums it up,,those pictures are awe inspiring. :shock:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 am

I think I may have even uttered those word when the clouds cleared :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby madasa mongoose » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 am

Wow! Just wow! Love it :D
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Jammy b...oy 8)

Fantastic.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:49 pm

madasa mongoose wrote:Wow! Just wow! Love it :D

Thanks madasca :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:50 pm

dooterbang wrote:Jammy b...oy 8)

Fantastic.

Indeed dooterbang - hit the hiking jackpot on this trip :wink:
wilkiemurray

Postby andrewdoggett » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Just stunning... There's no finer country in the world and you've caught it at its very best... :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Stunning :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:Just stunning... There's no finer country in the world and you've caught it at its very best... :D

Thanks andrew - absolutely - when you can see the landscape - it's hard to beat Scotland 8)
wilkiemurray

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 am

soooooperb ! :clap: :clap: just had a look at this report and your last one from Drumochter - stunning photos and videos - great adverts for the area, you're another who should get a job with the tourist board ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 am

rockhopper wrote:soooooperb ! :clap: :clap: just had a look at this report and your last one from Drumochter - stunning photos and videos - great adverts for the area, you're another who should get a job with the tourist board ! - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper -got lucky on this trip :D
wilkiemurray

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 am

You could not fail to be inspired by being in that situation. Asolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing. Isn't it amazing how the sky with the combination cloud, sun and light can have such a magical effect! :clap: :clap: :D :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 am

Breathtaking shots
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:You could not fail to be inspired by being in that situation. Asolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing. Isn't it amazing how the sky with the combination cloud, sun and light can have such a magical effect! :clap: :clap: :D :D

Thanks Rodmeister - indeed I was impressed with sunset but sunrise blew me away!!
wilkiemurray

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland