walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bod an Deamhain

Bod an Deamhain

Postby soulminer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: The Devil's Point

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arrived on Deeside on the Saturday, unpacked, and settled in to our cottage. Next on my list, where to go 2moro :lol:
I had looked at a few routes in the Cairngorms, and with the weather as hot some were ruled out due to hydro-logistics :wink: Settled on Bod an Deamhain-a few streams and a river sorted some of the hydration questions- but would still carry a couple of litres in for the dogs.
It was an early start, left Dinnet at around 0430 and headed for Linn O Dee. It was like the Killing Fields on that road, rabbits everywhere- in various states :roll:. Birds picking the juicy bits for breakfast :lol:
The carpark was pretty busy with cars, but very little in the way of humans, except a couple of mountain bikers setting off as I arrived. Midgies were murder, shemagh on, dogs harnessed and off.
It was pretty warm even at just after 0600 as we turned onto the main track, little- if any, breeze to keep the flies at bay !

DSCN0058 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0060 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A steady pace along the track, no need to hurry- no long drive back home :) The beginnings of a breeze was welcomed as we sauntered along. A few wee clouds for the dogs to pose under.

DSCN0061 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Took the track down to Bob Scotts Bothy for a refreshment break. Glen decided to have a little dip to cool off. He had tried to peer over the grass to the river, and his front paws slipped in the under growth and splashed right in :lol: There he is soaking wet paddling about, and the banking was to high for him to get himself out. So I had to grab his vest ,which ripped, and then the harness to pull him up- clown :lol:

DSCN0062 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Busy places the Bothy and Marr Lodge, plenty of residents breakfasting :) Spoke to a couple having their tea beside the bridge before we crossed over. Headed out along Glen Luibeg towards Corrour Bothy, and the Lairig Ghru. Passed a few happy campers on our way, and a couple heavy-laden Dutch hikers who looked particularly weary ! As I thought, a few streams were running off Carn a' Mhaim to water the dogs. A few people passed on their way out, most with happy smiles.

DSCN0064 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

'And we are climbing that ? ' Indeed you are :wink:

DSCN0065 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0066 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Corrour Bothy in the background

DSCN0067 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Todays target

DSCN0068 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

I crossed the burn by the bridge, and the Collies just splashed through :lol: Keeps them cool after all. Plenty of people around, and most friendly enough. Set off up through Coire Odhar towards the bealach. A wee refreshment stop on the level section, as the sun was beating down hard. Watched some folks on the ridge heading in both directions :)

DSCN0069 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The view back down

DSCN0070 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Said our 'hellos' to the passers bye on their way down as we mosied on up to the top to savour the views.

DSCN0071 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0072 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Spotted someone loading up a tripod at the summit- recognised him ! Walked over and the dogs ran towards him. Shouted over to them
' Come over here and let Trekpete take his photos'
It was fun watching his face trying to figure out- mmmm two dogs, knows my name ....... :lol: Walked up and introduced myself :) Turns out Pete was one of the mountain bikers who left the carpark as I was arriving. Sat and had another refreshment break, took some more photos. He kindly took this one for us, cheers Pete :thumbup:

DSCN0073 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0075 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0076 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0077 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Petes Tripod :)

DSCN0078 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0080 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Good view of the path on our route in/out

DSCN0082 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0085 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0088 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Walked with Pete to the bealach and bid him farewell, as he was heading up for another two summits. The walk down was a busy one, lots on the path heading up. We however had to head out, as it was our Wedding anniversary and I had promised to be back at a reasonable time 8) I seem to have a habit of long walks on our anniversary, not that there is any untoward in that at all :wink:

DSCN0089 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We wandered back homewards, saying 'hello' to all who passed- and there were a few ! There was a 'buzzing' noise, faint at first but growing louder. Heard it a couple of times before I spotted what it was :)

Middle of the pic

DSCN0094 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Zoomed

DSCN0091 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0093 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Must have been great to be up there on a day like today 8)

The long walk out loomed ahead, a couple of stops when shade available to have at least some respite from the heat.

DSCN0095 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0097 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Took some time out, under the trees, at Derry Lodge before setting out on the last stage of the Chaos Collies first foray into the Cairngorms. Certainly back in time for Brownie Points to remain intact :lol:
soulminer

Re: Bod an Deamhain

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 pm

More great photos :) . Camped on Sgor Mor on Friday night and walked out from Bob Scott's early Saturday morning. I thought for a second I'd done this on the same day as you, before reading the first bit of your report again.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Fab report and always nice to meet fellow walkers/bloggers.

This is timely as planning a wee jaunt in this area soon.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Grand stuff and cracking pair of dogs .

Good companions on the hill can't beat them :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby simon-b » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Great pictures, SM; you definitely got excellent views on that day. I'm hoping to climb this one from the Linn of Dee soon.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Ahhh the beautiful gorms, love this Soulminer you really captured some beautiful shots (though I think it helps to have the worlds most photogenic pair of dogs in the foreground of them) I laughed at the slip into the river followed by the convoluted extraction :lol: :lol:

Lovely hike & great report :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trekpete » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 am

It was nice to meet you on the summit. I sure was puzzled until you introduced yourself :lol: . It was a cracking day and I eventually got back to the car about 7pm. Too much loafing as usual but it was a day made for it.
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Postby soulminer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Cheers Pete ! The dogs had a ball swimming in the river- just like you :wink: :lol: :lol:
soulminer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland