walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen In The Sun!

Mount Keen In The Sun!

Postby Mickey Dee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 17/07/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 746m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi all...

Decided to make the most of the lovely weather yesterday and packed our stuff to hit Dreish & Mayer. A quick check of the weather though and I decided Mount Keen looked less likely to be clouded over.
We headed off towards Glen Esk a little later than I would of liked, and a quick stop at Strachathro for supplies meant we didnt start walking till 10am.

The path out of the carpark before the right turn to the track

Following the track and taking in the beautiful views

We stopped at Queens Well for a bite to eat and to get some photos and generally cool off!

Katie @ Queens well

The actual well...A great place to refill those water bottles! PAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

My attempt at photography (With an iPhone) :lol:

We set off again and made good time past the house and out into the hills.

The track heading up, with the arm of a JCB in the background!

Our first glimpse of Mount Keen

The photos dont look that sunny but I can assure you the sweat was pouring off us by this point!

Cooling off on the zigzag path

Katie posing

Keen coming into sight

The final push to the summit

A very windy Trig Point

My Jean Claude Van Damn - Coors Light picture :lol:

And Katie's

The winding path home

Re-filling the water on the way back to the car

Would recommend Keen to anybody, a lovely walk with excellent views and not too tiring at all.
Next week - Dreish & Mayer...

Mic
:D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mickey Dee
Mountaineer

Munros:4   

Re: Mount Keen In The Sun!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:35 am

Hi there Mickie Dee, some nice photos there with a bit of colour on the hillside :) . Mount Keen's a fine walk to asess your fitness levels, for bigger and better things. Word of warning strip to the waist in the heat we have been having lately and you go down with sunstroke :( , keep it on as you probably not realise you are getting burnt until it's too late :crazy: :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mickey Dee » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:35 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Word of warning strip to the waist in the heat we have been having lately and you go down with sunstroke :( , keep it on as you probably not realise you are getting burnt until it's too late :crazy: :crazy:

Hi, unfortunately suffered sunstroke badly in my teens so wouldn't let it happen again, the top was only off to dry the sweat and a 2 minute cool down :wink:

Mic
:D
Mickey Dee
Mountaineer

Munros:4   

Postby Sean0510 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Well done guys! I just done Mount Keen in similar conditions. Can't tell you how many times I thought about giving up and heading home.. was just too hot! Well done :D
Sean0510
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland