walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunny Dreish and Mayar

Sunny Dreish and Mayar

Postby fionamac8 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 14/07/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

What a summer we are having! As the sunshine has carried on for another week, we've been keen to take advantage of it for as long as possible and extend our Munro total. So Dreish and Mayar were next on my to do list. Having had a bit of a rocky start to the day - involving me locking myself out of my house without anything I needed, best not to ask... :crazy: - we finally reached Glen Clova around half 2 and quickly set off. Scott and I both went on Geography field trips to Corrie Fee at school so we were back on fairly familiar ground. The path is very straightforward with forestry commission markers leading the way. We were lucky (or unlucky?) enough to be enjoying 27c and clear blue skies, such a gorgeous day for a good hill or two, and practically unheard of in northeast Scotland - sssshhhh don't jinx it 8)

DSCF8726_Snapseed_gimp.jpg

DSCF8725_Snapseed_gimp.jpg

A quick jaunt through the forest takes you out into Corrie Fee itself, still a cracking view even for the second viewing. So far, so sedate. Following the windy path beside the water, it comes to an abrupt end and continues on upwards pretty steeply. But the views of the corrie and Glen Doll forest from the top are pretty spectacular so worth the climb. By now we were fairly working up a sweat and rested by the waterfall at the top with an apple and some sheep looking (baaaaing) on. Only met four people on their way down the corrie at this point which was surprising as the carpark was heaving, expected hundreds! So here the proper path ends. But a faint wee path picks up just a little higher so after a quick map consult we carried on upwards. A wee while later, delighted to be at the top, we realised we had climbed Mayar without realising - Munro number 8, ya beauty!

DSCF8732_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Corrie Fee panorama

DSCF8738_Snapseed2_gimp.jpg

DSCF8745_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Waterfall at the top of the corrie

DSCF8746_Snapseed_gimp.jpg

DSCF8756_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Almost there...

IMG_20130715_172729_gimp.jpg
Mayar

Despite the good weather it was a bit chilly on top Mayar so I was glad to have a chance to try out my new lightweight soft shell. Scott also had a reason to try out his new puffy, Mountain Hardwear Nitrous jacket, which he was pretty delighted with. After a break it was a nice flat walk across to Dreish following the fence posts and faint path.

DSCF8752_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Mount Keen in the distance

DSCF8759_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Looking across to Dreish

DSCF8768_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Scott

DSCF8766_Snapseed2_gimp.jpg

From the bealach, Dreish looks intimidatingly steep but it came as a pleasant surprise to reach the top quicker than we'd anticipated and with fewer stops to let me catch my breath :wink: The cairn and trig point on top are nice and sheltered which was appreciated as although the sun was still high and it was fairly warm, a cool wind was getting up. Scott's flask of tea and chocolate was well appreciated! We were really lucky as although the clouds were beginning to gather, Mount Keen and Lochnagar were visible in one direction and all the way to the coast in the other.

DSCF8774_Snapseed_gimp.jpg

DSCF8775_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Back across to Mayar

DSCF8780_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Cairn with a view!

Back down the way we came, we crossed down the Corrie Kilbo path. Fairly steep in places but nice and quick option rather than going back through Corrie Fee. Gladly we only had sheep for company as by this time the sun was starting to disappear behind the hills as we lost height quite quickly. The path continues through the forest and back to the carpark. A cracking day and two more Munros crossed off the list.

DSCF8772_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Down Corrie Kilbo
DSCF8794_Snapseed_gimp.jpg

DSCF8792_Snapseed_gimp.jpg

DSCF8800_Snapseed_gimp.jpg
Back at the carpark
fionamac8
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Sunny Dreish and Mayar

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Nice set of views there - makes all the difference in good weather. :thumbup: Approached these two from Auchavan in the rain and clag and saw nothing :roll: Good to see what I missed 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Sunny Dreish and Mayar

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:38 am

Some dramatic skies on my local hills, nice photographs, looks a cracker of a day :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland