walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach from Glen Etive

Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach from Glen Etive

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 04/07/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove down the single track road in Glen Etive and parked just along from Dalness House. I went through the gate and followed the stream up steep ground to 776m and coire nan easan.
Bidean2013July 001.JPG
Car park and gate

Bidean2013July 003.JPG
View up first slope

Bidean2013July 005.JPG
View back down to car

Bidean2013July 011.JPG
View down to coire nan easan

As I acquired height the views of the nearby Buachaille Etives (Beag and Mor) were welcome distractions.
It’s nice to see hills from different perspectives after you have been fortunate enough to have climbed them. The northern face of the ridge was steep with rocky cliffs adding to the atmosphere.
Bidean2013July 060.JPG
Across to Buachaille Etive Beag

Bidean2013July 014.JPG
First glimpse along Beinn Fhada Ridge

I continued NW up ridge to rocky top of Stob Coire Sgreamhach 1072m. A large stone beneath the cairn offered an excellent viewpoint and has no doubt been included in many climbers’ albums. The summit offered excellent views over Beinn Fhada ridge, into Corrie Gabhail and the lost valley, to the rear of the three sisters, and beyond to former J.Saville House in the pass of Glencoe, over to the Stob Coire nan Lochan. Savour these unique views as they are not visible from the piper’s layby or the A82.
Bidean2013July 028.JPG
View from summit of SCS down to Coire Gabhail

I descended to catch main ridge and passed the small cairn marking the entrance into the mud chute down scree to the lost valley floor. A short climb up and along the steep ridge, with some very exposed corries on the North face, was required to gain the summit cairn of Bidean Nam Bian, 3 hours after start of walk. I continued along to Stob Coire nam Beith at 1107m optimistically hoping for better views.
Bidean2013July 041.JPG
Back along main ridge to SCS

Bidean2013July 044.JPG
Nice stone work on BnB cairn

Bidean2013July 048.JPG
North top looking back to summit of BnB

The low cloud and swirling rain abated intermittently to enable glimpses of neighbouring hills including Sgor na h ulaidh 994m.
Bidean2013July 043.JPG
From ridge to Sgor na h-Ulaidh

I returned over BNB and descended to the red cairn. I went SE with the intention to descend into Gleann Fhaolain but found the ground was mostly loose boulders and scree, so decided to contour SW over boulder terrain to regain the grassy ridge.
Bidean2013July 058.JPG
View down a wee corrie to Coire Gabhail

Bidean2013July 059.JPG
View from south shoulder back up to SCS ridge

I then descended via the ascent route and kept E of the stream and deer fence.
Bidean2013July 062.JPG
Down Glen Etive to Ben Starav

Bidean2013July 065.JPG
Final descent to car

I managed to get tripped up a few times by the thick dense ferns and bracken and the discarded old fence sections underfoot. The wet ferns added more paranoia about ticks waiting under the leaves for hosts to pass. The anxiety level was heightened recently after having been struck down by a mystery infection last week. ( a whole week on the sick!!!) Thankfully blood tests confirmed no sign of Lymes disease. However because of this illness the walk felt tiresome, also reckon the driving rain, steep climb, and lack of sound paths contributed.

Anyway it was a good feeling to get back down onto level ground and the car 5 hours after the start of the walk and feet were drenched along with waterproofs.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach from Glen Etiv

Postby celt54321 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:24 pm

well done ,and a good report its good to see another route.hoping to get these two done on my next trip....might well take this route.
celt54321

Munros:43   Corbetts:11
Grahams:2   Donalds:3

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Cheers celt...a big positive about this direction was the avoidance of the chimney chute with the scree..and there was no need to worry about a parking space with the tourists and the piper...lol. You will enjoy these hills whatever route you choose.
scottishkennyg

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Thats an interesting route. I climbed bouth Munros a couple of years back and really enjoyed them as well...I liked the sound of the piper...but it would have been a better welcome coming down the hills 8) :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:56   Corbetts:24
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Nice one ML, and I agree you cannot beat the sound of a good piper which would have been better than the wet ferns on this final descent route :)
scottishkennyg

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland