walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The hills that never were, but will be again!

The hills that never were, but will be again!

Postby GillC » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 am

Date walked: 21/07/2013

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 323m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Short one,,intention was to get an early start from Achalladar Farm just off Loch Tulla, aim for Bienn a Chreachain , over Meall Buidhe to Beinn Achaladair and down.

So far this morning, I'd put air in the tyres, and oil in the engine, then drove to Margarets before realising I had a) not put the tyre valve caps back on, and b) not replaced the oil cap and a few mins of calling the garage to check the forecourt, trying a local Tesco filling station phone number (still 6:55 am at this point) to source a replacement, we had a look in the engine cavity, and lo and behold,,there it was, lodged way down , quick shifty with one of my hiking poles, minus the wee foot bit, dislodged it and good to go, on the road and only 4 mins later than planned. What a team. :clap: :clap:

The forecast was for HOT HOT HOT, so with 3 ltrs of water/isotonic drinks each, factor 50 suncream (yes, I do need this in Scotland) max strength Jungle formula and an overwhelming feeling of wanting to retreat into the shade, off we went. In recent days, the news and media were full of warnings re care in the sun, reports of dehydration, severe sunstroke and burning etc in the current heatwave, the hills looked very high and very hot when we left the car at 9:15am.
P1200447_zps3de8a090[1].jpg
Catching the morning rays

P1200451_zps31156da0[1].jpg
West over Loch Tulla

The track here is easy to find (and easy to lose, see return trip) past the castle ruin at the farm,
P1200452_zps80cc47b0[1].jpg
The old castle ruins at Achalladar Farm

along the stone wall, across the wide flat bridge, no worries.
P1200453_zpsf20d356a[1].jpg
The path ahead ...

P1200454_zpsa0d79407[1].jpg
Looking back at Dothaidh

The path down to the "footbridge" is marked on a small sign/post on the right, no real path down, just make your way over the grass,,,to the twisted mangle of metal rails that used to be a bridge. Moving East for about 30 yards the river was flat and rocky enough for us to cross. I got over, having longer legs than Margaret, who had to stop on a rock half way, balance herself to remove her boots then paddle the last bit.
P1200465_zps747ab4bc[1].jpg
Very low Water of Tulla

Off up through the outer edges of the Black Wood of Rannoch with it ancient Scots pines, a very obvious colour contrast to the nearby pines.
P1200466_zpse0cb6412[1].jpg
The Black Wood of Rannoch with Meall Buidhe & a'Chreachain behind in the blistering sun.

P1200467_zps500af5b0[1].jpg
Achaladair, looking monumental

The flies today were pretty annoying, the insect spray seemed to , so far, stop them biting, but it didn't stop them buzzing around your head, face, ears etc. We both got a few bites over the course of the day, but nothing like it could have been.

We were not being unrealistic about this today, once we got underneath the railway and the trees really started thinning out, around 11am by this time, it was like walking in to an oven.
DSCN3815.JPG
A Munchie sized railway underpass

P1200461_zps6270679f[1].jpg
Heading towards the railway line, and Bienn a' Chreachain

P1200459_zps44daf5f5[1].jpg
that's some sun parasol!

We wandered up by the stream, past the 2 big stiles and up to the end of the deer fence.

A quick discussion about the amount of heat, spending the next 4-5 hrs, the hottest part of the day, in no shade, full sun, no running water, we decided to err on the side of caution, save a trip to A&E later or worse, having to throw Margaret into a burn to cool her down!! :lol: and opted to turn back. Margaret felt she was somehow letting me down. But we both have a tendency to, when maybe not particularly "up for it" not saying so and just getting on with it. So, I admire her honesty, we don't mind a bit of a challenge, a struggle for the end sense of achievement,,but today, we just felt it would be folly to continue.

Change of plan, get back to the car, head off and maybe do a section of the WHW or similar, just to be out and about. On the way back down to the railway line, I fell down a hole, face first into the heather lol then, stood on a stick which then whacked me on the other bare leg. This was not my lucky day, what with the earlier issues with the car, maybe just as well we decided not to go on :lol: We stopped at the river on the return leg, nice big flat rock in the middle, feet in the burn and a wee rest (reapplying the suncream for the 3rd time too lol)
DSCN3816.JPG
Cooling off in the Water of Tulla

We have a seriously bad habit of losing paths due to just nattering away, and yes, this also applies to very broad, flat and obvious farm tracks! At the old ruin of Tom nan Grodh the path takes a left swing, back over the river and off to Achalladar Farm, but no,,when we drew level with the farm, we realised we were about a quarter of a mile North, on another track. Hey, no loss, carried on,, reached the A82, North of the arch bridge and headed down past the end of Loch Tulla with its wide sandy beach, tempting! I couldn't believe we took the wrong path,,the worrying thing is, Margaret couldn't believe, that I couldn't believe it , its par for the course with us lol :?

By this time, it was after 1pm,,so we just drove back to Bridge of Orchy, lunch under the bridge, more suncream then took a wander up the Inveroran road before heading home.
DSCN3820.JPG
Under the Bridge at Orchy

DSCN3824.JPG
Even the thistles are taller than Margaret lol
:lol:

No big hills today, but a sensible decision I think. Yes, we could have completed 2 fabulous looking Munros but really don't think we would have enjoyed it. They are going nowhere and we will be back soon. :clap:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: The hills that never were, but will be again!

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:25 am

I think its always easier to continue than stop & think and then say no,not today so a good choice was made in the heat and as you say the mountains aint goin nowhere.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jdmoore » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:48 pm

I made the same decision as you on the previous day for this walk! I got to the start of the pine forest and decided it was going to be too hot and because I was on my own I thought it would be risky to continue.

It looks like a great route though so it'll be my next trip in cooler conditions :)
jdmoore
Mountain Walker

Munros:80   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Munchie » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Objection m'lud ...... those thistles were on stilts ..... they WERE I tell ya :crazy:
Munchie
Mountaineer

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:17 pm

looked like a nice walk anyway, and it`s good to talk and let each other know what`s going on in our heads, before anyone gets themself into difficulty
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 am

Hey all, indeed , no point killing ourselves for the sake of a couple of blue flags on the map. And Munchie! Thistle have to stop! lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 am

painted toe-nails...classic sign of a Classy Lassie. well done! :clap:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:03 am

PS: wise decision on turning back I would say. As Gammy says, the hills are always gonna be there. :wink:

Fife Flyer and I bagged Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil on Friday there. The heat was unbearable. Quite possibly THE hardest walk I've done yet, and the closest I’ve come to just giving up and lying down in a ditch.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 am

haha Lightfoot,,,painted toenails indeed. Apologies the "shapely blonde" wasn't with us this week but she would not have relished this one,,her lipgloss would have melted lol :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 am

Mmmm, yeah lip-gloss on the hills is always a big decision. On warmer days I find that Rimmel ‘Tarty Hillwalker’ lasts quite well..…because I’m worth it! :lol:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 am

Oh the first picture made me laugh out loud :lol:
Wise decision to walk back when it is too hot...although I did the less sensible thing and walked 12 hours in 40C. I have never experienced anything like it..
You will be able to enjoy the hills on another day :D :D Loosing wide farm tracks? Thats great :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland