walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Solo Trip

First Solo Trip

Postby Aldog8 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 21/07/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started my first solo trip to the summit of Ben Lomond in the usual fashion. I arrived at Rowardennan Car Park around 8.30am and began the ritualistic unpacking/repacking of my bag then changing from the comfortable trainers into the more robust walking boots. At this point it was a fine morning, a little overcast but, nice and cool without the need for more than a base layer t-shirt and shorts.

After ensuring I had everything packed - lunch, snacks, plenty of water, sports drink, camera, other layers and waterproofs - I proceeded through the information centre and off along the tourist route. The time was 8.39am and I was ready for the challenge of doing the ascent in 1 hour and 30 minutes, shaving a good half hour off my only other previous ascent when I was joined by my mate Colin a fortnight ago on my first EVER Munro attempt.

Early on, I had the bit between the teeth as I ploughed up through the trees towards the first gate. I reached that in a bit of a sweaty mess but by that time I was also in the zone and feeling good. The cool temperatures of the morning and cloud cover keeping me from melting completely.

After breezing past a few day-tourists I was able to eat up the open ground and get over the first challenge which I like to call "steps part 1". No idea what other folk refer to this part as but it looks like man-made steps to me and there is another section near the top which I refer to as , wait for it...."steps part 2".

After a little respite from the gentle walk up towards the 2nd gate, next came the dreaded zig-zags where I felt like I was using up a lot of energy and the legs were starting to get a little tired. In fact, the legs were screaming a bit. It probably didn't help that I had reached the bottom of the clouds and the temperature dropped quite considerably. The only time I stopped for longer than a few seconds was at this point where my thoughts were "gloves on and power through". The gloves (purchased only a few days prior, and recommended highly, even for summer use) were paying for themselves keeping me warm as I headed along the fastest part of the route, on which I was even able to break into a light jog at times.

After getting to the second lot of steps I slowed right down and passed another couple, I guessed from the accents that they were from Germany. I was to help take a picture of the same couple at the top just before my descent which confirmed that they were in fact, German.

Steps part 2 came into view and they were shrouded in misty cloud. I think that was a good thing because at that point, if I had seen how far I still had to go up this part I may have started to wilt a bit but thankfully I was able to drive onwards and upwards at a good pace.

Finally breaking out of the second steps, and now above the cloud-line which had disappear quite rapidly, I was able to put in a final push along the steeper, ridge part of the mountain. This felt great and other than stopping for the odd picture (it was too good a view to focus on time here, there was no way I wasn't getting these pictures) I powered North.

When the summit came into view I started clock watching, almost breaking into a jog and then into a bit of a run just at the foot of the last scramble to the top. Stopwatch in hand I lunged for the trig-point and hit stop, the clock read 1:31:07, not too shabby. I missed my target of one hour thirty but i knew in my head that I'd done a good job so rewarded myself with a few raisins and nuts and a good swig from the water bottle then sat down to enjoy my lunch. I actually didn't feel hungry at that point so I burst open the bag of wine gums instead of the nutritious sandwich. I thought I deserved a wee treat.

After chatting to some other guys who were already at the summit when I arrived I packed up and began my descent by the same route. On the way down I took it quite easy for the majority and even stopped to talk to a few groups along the way, including a family all the way from Canada who were worried that they wouldn't get much of a view at the top due to the clouds. I told them to persevere as the view that day was breathtaking and after showing them a couple of my pictures they went on tehir way. I hope they got to see it how I did a little earlier!

I have a few pictures that I will download from my camera this week but until then, thanks for reading.

Plan to do Ben Lui this Saturday.
Aldog8
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   Corbetts:1

Re: First Solo Trip

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:52 pm

On a clear day I see Ben Lomon as I drive to work. Sounds like you had a wonderful day and I look forward to seeing your photos. Hoping to finally get round to climing a few more munros when my sister gets back from her holiday, might need to add this one to the list.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland