walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stewed on my Seventieth

Stewed on my Seventieth

Postby ScottishLeaf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:15 am

Route description: Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 20/07/2013

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1444m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So we planned to head up to Glenfinnan to give Wullie and Alec the chance to show off their shiny new bikes and for me to errrr dig out the wee brother's Ancient Machine that pre-dates human civilisation in Scotland by about 300 years! :lol: (Which is impossible, since a Scot invented the bicycle.... but anyway, you get the picture.)

The Ancient Machine had a gear problem and I knew I'd be limited in my choice of gears, but as we set off I realised I'd have the grand total of one gear to choose from. Fortunately there isn't much in the way of a climb until Corryhully Bothy is reached and the one gear did me fine, with only one push to needed!

We tied the bicycles up at the bothy, just 20 minutes after setting out from the car park.

From the bothy the first real ascent of the day is undertaken up a gravel track, past a waterfall and over a burn crossing to reach the point where the path back down from Sgurr nan Coireachan is reached.

Keep straight on here we followed the track up to it's conclusion at a deep looking ford, but to the left there is a bridge of sorts. Four iron bars layed across concrete foundations takes you across the burn.

On the other side there is still a track, but it's much older and far rougher and we followed this round the hill a bit until we were underneath Streap's outlying top Stob Coire nan Cearc. We then broke off the path and headed directly up Sgurr Thuilm's ridge, quickly finding a damp path which was quite erroded in places. It had taken us half an hour to reach the bottom of the hill from the bridge and despite the early hour, there was already a heat in the air and shadows were quickly disappearing from Glen Finnan and Sgurr nan Coireachan was already bathed in sunshine. It was going to be a scorcher.

Thankfully, for now, were still in the shade as we headed up the first stage Sgurr Thuilm's ridge, Sron a'Bheithe. As we gained the top of the Sron, the sun's light and heat began pouring over Sgurr a Thuilm and we stopped to rest against a blissfully cold rock and it wasn't even 8am yet!

Leaving ugly sweat patches on the rock we continued the plod up hill, on the second stage of the ridge, Druim Coire a'Bheithe. The views across the corrie to Meall an Tarmachain and Beinn Garbh on the ridge connect Sgurr Thuilm to Sgurr nan Coireachan really did make you feel like you were climbing round the edge of a giant cauldron.

Whilst behind the shadows continued to diminish down in the glen and sun began to highlight the arches of The Hogwarts Bridge.

Eventually the gradient eased off again and the summit came into view, the central peak on the point where two ridges met.

I was in my usual position of 3rd of 3 and lagging well behind Alec and Wullie, who scooted off for the top, while I meandered my way up over the last hump of the ridge and drank in the views of Gaor Bheinn and Streap silouhetted against the increasing power of the summer sun.

One glen over, in Glen Dessary, I could see the glen was in an inversion.

On the final push up to the top, the path thinks about coming close to the corrie edge, then forgets that idea! Making a beeline for the summit cairn instead. So number 69, was in the bag and it's cairn made a fine drying line!

Now all that remained was for a baking hot trudge across the ridge to Sgurr nan Coireachan to get 70 and the quarter way mark (-ish.)

From the top of Sgurr Thuilm the ridge looked a lot up and downs, but nothing too strenuous.

With the sun now reaching it's zenith, the ridge had a bit of everything. Some steep bits, some grassy bits, some wee scrambly bits, some awkward big steps but; thankfully the wet bits had near enough dried out in the recent good weather. The ridge never feels really narrow, but the side are almost sheer down into the corries on either side and it gives some grand views of the surrounding scenery.

Nearly three hours after setting off from Sgurr Thuilm under the roasting sun, I arrived at the top of Sgurr nan Coireachan and munro number 70.

We sat and munched what food we had left, that wasn't either turned bad or melted before beginning the descent down over Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich. The descent was a torture, once again the rugged terrain throwing in a bit of everything and seemingly going on for ever. The wee scrambles were a thrill, but the loose, steep paths were annoying to say the least! In another section, the path rounds a rocky section right next to a chimney, dropping hundreds of feet down to the glen, giving a spectacular sight.

Eventually I caught up with the other two back on the track by the waterfall we passed nearly 10 hours earlier. It was too good to resist!!!

After a suitable soaking, it was a 10 minute wander back down to Corryhully and then the cycle out again, mostly free wheeling it back to the viaduct in less than 15mins.

In the end I drank over 5L of fluids and guzzled down 2 bottles of Irn Bru and 2 bottles of Highland Spring in the car, trying to battle the sun... I think the sun won, but it was still a great day for my 70th munro.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Re: Stewed on my Seventieth

Postby kev_russ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 am

Looked a superb day and barry pics :) well done on reaching 70
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 am

Great report and great photos too. Well done for bagging those two on a scorcher of a day! :clap: :clap:

You receive an extra point for legitimate use of the word "zenith" in your report too! :D :thumbup:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Cracking route to choose for such a day and you saw a lot more than I did certainly :D . You're not looking too bad for 70 :wink:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Rottiewalker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm

great report brian, it was a HOT day, but you did manage it so well done :clap: for the record my bike is 16 yrs old an still goin strong lol
Rottiewalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:56
Fionas:5   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:14   

Postby quoman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Nice one again mate thats the hottest day ave been out in, my double decker bar turned into a single Decker bar :lol: :lol: my bikes only 8 weeks old and going strong :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Tomsie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Another good day lads, tough going in this heat should have put a few beers in that pool :D

Didnt see Bear hope his ok
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 pm

It is a fair round at the best of times :D

Good report :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Another cracking TR Brian it looked a scorcher.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ScottishLeaf » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am

Cheers for all the replies guys :)
Certainly I found it tough going in the conditions, but we got there in the end in a respectable time and another wee landmark reached. The heat didn't spoil it too much :)

Bear wasn't with us this time, think Alec chose to leave her behind as we were cycling in to the bothy and due to the heat.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Postby trekker53 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Well done Scottishleaf on getting to 70. I done these 2 the following day Sunday. I met only 3 folks, maybe the super heat kept people away. Still I enjoyed it. The descent as you mentioned was a bit convoluted so not in a hurry to do it again.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby PeteR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Tough hills these two, I found. But still a great round, especially in that heat :clap: :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Cheers for the replies Trekker and Pete.

We didn't pass anyone until we were about 1/4 of the way down Sgurr nan Coireachean and even then I only saw 4 others all day.

Definitely two hills that are a wee bit harder and give further walking than they seem at first glance.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 am

Well done boys. Looks like you had a great day.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Lovely day for this walk - glad you saw more than I did :thumbup: Can remember cycling on past the bothy until the track split but thinking that it may have been easier just to leave the bike at the bothy as you did (but then I did have a few more working gears :wink: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland