walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A second attempt at Bidean nam Bian and a bottle of Magners

A second attempt at Bidean nam Bian and a bottle of Magners

Postby clivew » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 13/07/2013

Time taken: 5.45 hours

Distance: 11.1 km

Ascent: 1368m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first Munro for a while as for the last few months all my spare time was taken up either training with my "non-walking" work mates for the Caledonian Challenge or trying to keep her indoors happy by re-decorating the whole house (at least it felt like the whole house), thankfully both challenges are now complete so I can get back into climbing Munros.
I attempted to climb Bidean nam Bian in early December but on that occasion, after reaching the top of Stob Coire nan Lochan, I decided to call it a day as the snow was quite thick and very powdery making walking over the rocky terrain near the summit very difficult. A month or so later when I heard of the tragedy involving the group of climbers who fell to their deaths on Bidean my mind went back to December and my abandoned attempt.
Back to todays walk which was in conditions totally opposite my earlier attempt; the weather has been great all week and I couldn't wait to get out into the mountains again. There was a bit of cloud around when I reached the car park in Glen Coe but it soon started to break and the temperature was rising.
The starting point for this walk is the car park at map ref 167569 just below "the" cottage in Glen Coe; the start is a bit of killer, out of the car park, down the short bank, across the river and then the climb starts. Its one of those walks where the gradient doesn't ease off until you reach the top. The path, which ascends between the buttresses of the Three Sisters, is very easy to follow, there's only one way to go and that's up. Back in December on my first atempt to climb these Munro's the ground beneath the snow line was frozen solid and very slippery as the snow had fallen as rain here; but today it was hot and dry and perfect weather for shorts and a tee shirt.
The path eventually leads up onto the ridge and on towards the first summit of the day Stob Coire nan Lochan; I didnt stop long here as I was planning to have a sandwich and coffee at the Bealach between Stob Coire and Bidean before climbing to the summit of the first Munro Bidean nam Bian. The climb up to the summit of Bidean from the Bealach looks a bit daunting at first but as you start the climb you soon pick up a path which guides you up to the summit. By the time I reached the top the cloud had disappeared and the views were amazing in every direction. From near the summit you have a great view of the path which leads from just below the summit of Stob Coire Sgreamhach down into the lost valley, from this distance the top of the path looks impossibly steep but as with most things the closer you get the easier it looks.
After sitting on the summit for a while taking in the views and chatting to a couple of guys who I met I followed the path leading on to the second Munro of the day. Again its an easy path to follow (I suppose every path is easy to follow when the sun is shining) but it quickly leads on down to the Bealach beneath the summit of Stob Coire Sgreamhach, from here its about 15 minutes to the top and the view from here was even more amazing with a panoramic view of Buachaille Beag and Buachaille Etive Mor. I climbed the 4 Munros here on a similar sunny day this time last year. After another food break I started the descent to the top of the path which leads down into the lost valley, the top of the path is very eroded but if you look carefully there is an alternative to the worse part slightly to the left. As you descend for the first few hundred feet again the path is badly eroded with plenty of lose rocks to contend with. Eventually the gradient eases out and the path becomes very pleasant to follow. Further down you reach the top of the wooded section of the Lost Valley and the path follows the route of the burn back into Glen Coe. For the last hour or two of the walk I was fantasysing about an ice cold bottle of Magners back at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel on my way back to Edinburgh, I was most disappointed when I arrived there and they had sold out of cider. I didn't hang around long and made my way to the old pub past Creanlarich where I sat in the garden and savoured every drop of my Magners. This was a truly great day out.

1-P1010162.JPG
The path leading up between the Three Sisters (or two of them anyway)

1-P1010168.JPG
Looking back into Glen Coe from the ridge below the South Buttress

1-P1010169.JPG
The top of the path leading from below Stob Coire Sgreamhach down into the Lost Valley from the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan, you can just make out 2 walkers approaching the top of the path

1-P1010172.JPG
Bidean nam Bian from the summit of Stob Coire nam Lochan

1-P1010174.JPG
The summit of Stob Coire nam Lochan looking back from Bidean nam Bian

1-P1010178.JPG
Looking back into Glen Coe from the ridge beneath Stob Coire Sgreamhach

1-P1010179.JPG
Bidean nam Bian looking back from Stob Coire Sgreamach

1-P1010181.JPG
Looking across to Buachaille Etive Beag & Mor from Stob Coire Sgreamach

1-P1010182.JPG
Glen Etive from Stob Coire Sgreamach

1-P1010183.JPG
Me on the summit of Stob Coire Sgreamach

1-P1010186.JPG
The bottom of the Lost Valley

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
1-P1010180.JPG
Looking down into the Lost Valley from the summit of Stob Coire Sgreamach
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A second attempt at Bidean nam Bian and a bottle of Magn

Postby scooby0511 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Nice photographs and report, fancy this one myself
scooby0511
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3

Postby dooterbang » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Nice one Clive - well done.

I really like these mountains...great in winter.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby clivew » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 pm

scooby0511 wrote:Nice photographs and report, fancy this one myself

The best thing about this walk is that's it's so easy to get to the starting point, but it was an enjoyable walk, one I wouldn't mind doing again sometime
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Love that second photo :thumbup:

Great round, these two :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby davetherave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Very nice Clivew. I will certainly be doing those hills again.

That last fottie looking to the lost valley - the ridge on its right hand side Is a great alternative route out to the valley floor. Its steep on the descent but was worth the effort for walking that ridge. Unfortunately I cant recall the name of that ridge.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby clivew » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 pm

davetherave wrote:Very nice Clivew. I will certainly be doing those hills again.

That last fottie looking to the lost valley - the ridge on its right hand side Is a great alternative route out to the valley floor. Its steep on the descent but was worth the effort for walking that ridge. Unfortunately I cant recall the name of that ridge.

Dave

Hi Dave, how are the dogs? just looking at my map as I'm planning a trip down the bottom of Glen Etive in the morning, is the ridge called Beinn Fhada?
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby davetherave » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:29 pm

clivew wrote:
davetherave wrote:Very nice Clivew. I will certainly be doing those hills again.

Dave

Hi Dave, how are the dogs? just looking at my map as I'm planning a trip down the bottom of Glen Etive in the morning, is the ridge called Beinn Fhada?

Yes Clive thats the one, im at work rhe noo and trying to find that info on my phone is harder than on the pc at home.

Thanks Dave.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland