walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A sunny Sunday on a Skye Sgurr

A sunny Sunday on a Skye Sgurr

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 17/05/2009

Distance: 8.2 km

Ascent: 1013m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Patience had brought its due reward yesterday on Bla Bheinn, and we woke up to a bright sunny Sunday morning.

We had our sights set on Sgurr na Banachdich as we had to get back down the road reasonably sharpish and pick the dog up from my parents. I was also out of school on the Monday and Tuesday, supervising a Bronze Duke of Edinburgh training expedition, so today I was looking for a fairly short, sharp, straightforward day.

After breakfast we quickly packed away the tent and all our bits and pieces, jumped in the car and headed for Glen Brittle.

IMG_1692.jpg
The Cuillin from the Glen Brittle road

We were parked in the roadside spaces next to the Glen Brittle Youth Hostel by 9 o’clock and heading up the well constructed path alongside the Allt a’ Choire Ghreadaidh in glorious early morning spring sunshine, before leaving the path after a couple of kilometres and heading south east over boggy ground into Coir’ an Eich.

As we follow faint paths across the scree filled shoulder of An Diallaid, the views open up back down into Glen Brittle and we soon emerge breathless onto the ridge where the views open up across the scree filled void of Coir’-uisg.

IMG_1695.jpg
Sunshine in Glen Brittle

IMG_1696.jpg
Slogging up the scree

IMG_1698.jpg
Staring into the void.....

From here it’s a straightforward climb up rocky slopes to the summit, where we have stunning views back over to Bla Bheinn, along a considerable chunk of jagged coastline and in both directions along the ridge. The pick of the views, however, are probably along to Sgurr Alasdair and the Great Stone Shoot and in front of that, the Inaccessible Pinnacle, with people making their way up it clearly visible through the binoculars.

IMG_1701.jpg
Summit posers

IMG_1709.jpg
I wonder who's over on Bla Bheinn today?

IMG_1711.jpg
Rum

IMG_1712.jpg
Along the ridge to the Pinnacle and Sgurr Alasdair

IMG_1715.jpg
Debbie at the summit cairn, Bla Bheinn in the background

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: A sunny Sunday on a Skye Sgurr

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 am

Looks great that. If you go to Skye enough times you get the good weather...my motto anyway!

Glad this was in the spring. When I saw the title of this report I was kicking myself for not heading out in that direction at the weekend! :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland