walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rockhopping in the Cairngorms - A Sunshine Epic!!

Rockhopping in the Cairngorms - A Sunshine Epic!!

by dooterbang » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Route description: Cairn Toul - Braeriach traverse

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 20/07/2013

Time taken: 13.5 hours

Distance: 48.1 km

Ascent: 3275m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Rockhopping in the Cairngorms - A Sunshine Epic!!

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:59 pm

I applaud you in between bouts of intense jealousy! :clap: :mrgreen: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Fantastic Dooters, a magnificent achievement :clap: Carol and I have just knocked off Breariach from the Sugar Bowl and I know how hard that was..Those pictures reminded me of one of the best days I have ever had in the hills..I must get those reports done :roll:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Magic, dooters - I did enjoy reading that :thumbup: It's great when you get weather like that to enjoy the walk even more - although it did look a "wee" bit steep in places :wink: Don't know how you manage such a walk in a day - think I'd have to take a tent for a two day-er 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:15 pm

That's a huge walk in any conditions, DB, but on that day my car's thermometer was showing mid 20s deg C at the summit of the Cairnwell Pass. I'm not surprised you were tired in the heat, and how about your feet? I find the hard terrain of that region can make them sore.

It's interesting that you mention the possibility of a similar route with less steep sections. By coincidence, I linked Carn a' Mhain and The Devil's Point on Friday. From C a M, I walked north along the arete towards Macdui, and then headed down to the Lairig Ghru track using a path alongside Allt Clach nan Taillear. A longer way round than your crossing between the two, but definitely a less severe descent.

Anyway, this is an excellent report, with some fine photos of a magnificent area, whose best sights have to be earned by getting right in among the mountains.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:35 pm

davetherave wrote:Shows what ive been missinf for to long.
Thanks.
Glad your back out Dave...been missing your epic reports.

rockhopper wrote:Don't know how you manage such a walk in a day - think I'd have to take a tent for a two day-er 8) - cheers :)
Says the man that did 5 in 17hrs :shock: :wink:

simon-b wrote:It's interesting that you mention the possibility of a similar route with less steep sections. By coincidence, I linked Carn a' Mhain and The Devil's Point on Friday. From C a M, I walked north along the arete towards Macdui, and then headed down to the Lairig Ghru track using a path alongside Allt Clach nan Taillear. A longer way round than your crossing between the two, but definitely a less severe descent.
That route was something I had in my plan but opted for the steep descent and less distance due to it being the start of the walk and still feeling fresh. The steep ascent to Macdui is one I wouldn't want to do again. If doing again i would do the walk in reverse. Climb DC then ditch rucksack, nip over and do BMH, Macdui next then drop down to end of arete at CaM and leave rucksack, nip up and do CaM and return to rucksack/end of arete, do as you say and drop into LG, then ascend SW shoulder up to Braeriach, do the traverse and drop down to corrour bothy/LG and walk out. This route would mean only pathless and difficult part would be the ascent to Braeriach, which is a better option than the steep ascent from LG to Macdui. Glad i did this as i really did get a feel for the area. Cheers.

Thanks for the comments LH, P and GD.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

You must have been so pleased to have the bikes at Derry Lodge :wink: :lol: :lol:

Wonderful effort and a memorable whole weekend for you both :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby baggervance » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Epic walk Dooterbang. :clap: :clap:

I am thinking about doing the Cairn Toul Braeriach traverse in 2 weeks. Do you remember roughly how long it took you to do the high level traverse of these 4 ??

I'm setting a target of 9 hours from the Sugar Bowl and back but wonder if this is possible

Any advice would be helpful

cheers
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby dooterbang » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

baggervance wrote:Epic walk Dooterbang. :clap: :clap:

I am thinking about doing the Cairn Toul Braeriach traverse in 2 weeks. Do you remember roughly how long it took you to do the high level traverse of these 4 ??

I'm setting a target of 9 hours from the Sugar Bowl and back but wonder if this is possible

Any advice would be helpful

cheers
Sorry but I've no idea but I wasn't hanging around. The conditions will play a big part in how quickly you do these and I suspect in 2 weeks your going to be taking an ice axe, crampons and full winter kit so I guess it'l take longer. I would look at some reports with a sprinkling of snow. Start early and take a head torch for the walk out. Best of luck.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby baggervance » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks Dooterbang

I am hoping the weather will be crisp but no snow to keep the pace at a maximum. Setting off about 6.00am with all the gear and doing the 4 to start with, whilst legs are strong and energy high, leaving Larig Ghru as the muscle wind down. Like you I don't intend hanging about and will refuel whilst walking and hopefully taking in the views.

Naismith says 10h 50m but I have been beating these times in recent weeks, so fingers crossed for a good day

cheers
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland