walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aberfeldy to Pitlochry

Aberfeldy to Pitlochry

Postby Alba Bhoy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Route description: Rob Roy Way: Aberfeldy to Pitlochry

Date walked: 21/07/2013

Time taken: 3.15 hours

Distance: 15 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Aberfeldy to Pitlochry – Sunday 21st July 2013. OS Landranger Map 52. Start 0915, finish 1230, total time 3 hrs 15 minutes. Distance 9.5 miles.
This was a nice, easy, short and pleasant stretch, along the Rob Roy Way (RRW), on which to finish 3 days walking from Callander to Pitlochry.
After a pleasant night’s stay in Aberfeldy – happy to recommend the Station House, Aberfeldy for Bed and Breakfast – it was back onto the RRW to do the 9 miles or so from Aberfeldy to Pitlochry.
Station House , my B and B in Aberfeldy - 21st July 2013.JPG
Station House, my B & B in Aberfeldy

Follow the main road (the A827) NE out of Aberfeldy. At the edge of the town you’ll see Dewar’s World of Whisky on your right and on your left will be the cemetery. Just beyond the end of the cemetery you’ll see a sigh for the path (RRW) to Grandtully.
Path is nice and easy to follow, although some of the vegetation it passed through on leaving Aberfeldy could be described as Scottish ‘Jungle’ so high were the various weeds and plants!
RRW cuts through Scottish 'Jungle' as it leaves Aberfeldy - 21st July 2013 - Copy.JPG
RRW ploughs through Scottish 'Jungle' as it leaves Aberfeldy

On your left you’ll have trees, weeeds and the River Tay and to your right fields of crops and the main road, the A 827.
After a short time the path widens as it follows the route of the former railway. Walking couldn’t get much easier.
But the RRW soon improves as it follows the old railway to Grandtully - 21st July 2013 - Copy.JPG
RRW soon improves as it follows the route of the old railway to Grandtully

As is typical of the RRW there are only signs where junctions with other tracks could cause confusion. If unsure and there are no RRW signs, just keep going on the main path.
The RRW eventually emerges into the car park at the campsite belonging to the Scottish Canoe Association at Grandtully. Turn left as you access the car park – no need to go into the campsite – and follow the road the 50m or so down to where it merges with the main road, the A827. Turn right and follow the pavement the short distance in to Grandtully.
The River Tay will be on your left and on your right you’ll see the Scottish Chocolate Centre. I arrived at Grandtully about 1040 so thought I’d treat myself to a coffee at the Chocolate Centre. Wish I hadn’t bothered, they charged £2.95 for a Latte, which was drinkable but nothing exceptional. And I thought coffee in Edinburgh was expensive!
By 1100 I was on the way again. Almost opposite the Scottish Chocolate Centre is the bridge over the Tay.
The River Tay at Grandtully - 21st July 2013 - Copy.JPG
River Tay at Grandtully

Cross the bridge and take the first right. You’ll soon arrive at a junction with a red ‘telephone box.’ It’s not a working box but is stuffed full of leaflets advertising local tourist delights. Head to the right of the telephone box and in a few metres you’ll see a sign for the Path to Pitlochry. This path skirts the golf course as it heads uphill. The 8th and 17th tees should be on your right as you head up the hill.
Again the path is easy to follow. Goes uphill a fair way which offers nice views over Strath Tay.
View back SW, along Strath Tay, towards Aberfeldy from hills above Grandtully - 21st July 2013.JPG
View back along Strath Tay, in the direction of Aberfeldy, as the RRW approaches Fonab forest

The path soon heads towards Fonab Forest.
RRW approaches the Fonab forest - 21st July 2013.JPG
RRW approaches Fonab forest

RRW way is well signposted through the forest and you drop down through the forest towards Pitlochry.
As you leave the forest the only difficult thing left to do is to try and cross the A9. Why oh why is there not an underpass - or a bridge – to allow walkers and cyclists safe crossing of the A9? I waited for a gap in the traffic then sprinted across. Hopefully when the Govt. get round to upgrading the A9 an underpass will be built here to make life easier for walkers, runners and cyclists.
Once safely across the A9 follow the signs into Pitlochry town centre.
River tummel and Faskally Dam, Pitlochry - 21st July 2013.JPG
River Tummel and Faskally Dam, Pitlochry

Pitlochry has a wide range of shops, cafes, restaurants, bars, banks and accommodation plus regular train and bus connections to Edinburgh, Glasgow and the South as well as to Inverness and the North. If you need to check email etc then the Pitlochry Tourist Office has PCs you can use for a small fee. I was charged £1 For 20 minutes.
Flower Express at Pitlochry train station.
Flower Train, Pitlochry Station - 21st July 2013.JPG
The Flower Train, Pitlochry train station.
Last edited by Alba Bhoy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alba Bhoy
Mountaineer

Munros:207   
Islands:31

Re: Aberfeldy to Pitlochry

Postby ballarat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am

another well detailed report,are you a reporter.

lets hope not :wink:

pitlochry is a grand wee place to spend a bit time,pass thu about twice a year and always take a bit time oot :)
ballarat
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland