walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Brothers Ridge

Two Brothers Ridge

Postby Fcfraser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Route description: Brothers Ridge - Sgùrr a Bhealaich Dheirg

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg

Date walked: 20/07/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 9 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This should have been a reasonably easy walk. However, whilst we had checked the weather, we knew it was going to be a beautiful Scottish Summer day (rare!!).... I for one, didnt appreciate how tiring the sun could be!
IMG_0467.JPG

I Met my friends at the Cluanie Inn, I was sitting outside, enjoying a lovely cold pint of Stella... the boys turned up shortly after, and as we finished our drinks, we went along to the bridge to find a spot for our tents, it didnt take long for us to get pitched and the drinks & crisps poured! We got caught up and reminisced on the last time we were together, at Beinn Fhada, before heading back to the Inn for dinner. Clearly, the staff were under pressure, and seemed rather stressed, perhaps it was the heat, or the lack of "Seniority"?

Suitabley fed and watered, we returned to camp, where the midges were aplenty! .... thank goodness for Smidge!
IMG_0468.JPG

Awakening in the morning, to mist down to ground level was a bit of a surprise, and chilly! Little did we know, we would try and feel that moment again, as our skin "seared" in the mid day sun!!

We dropped a car off up the road at GR010 136 which was going to be a very welcome sight later in the day!
Began walking at around 8.30, from the Cluanie Inn, quickly gaining height up the relentless path. Soon rising above the cloud, and see the most wonderful Inversion.... I think that must be how it feels in Heaven! ....climbing the big staircase to get there, looking down, feeling happy, not a care in the world
IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

It was more and more beautiful, as the cloud slowly burned away in the ever increasing heat of the sun....
Camelbak devices are great, but one really does have to ca canny how much they drink, it is all too easy to keep sooking! We were very aware that our water would soon disappear under the duress of the hot day, and the fact that there would be little or no water available once we were up high, which indeed was the case!
IMG_0503.JPG

The scenery over the Glen Shiel Ridge etc. was absolutely stunning. We had very lengthy stops, not purely to enjoy the views, but because our bodies were physically pushed to max...I have never felt my heart work so hard for a long time, amazing how the body can struggle in such extremes! Yet another learning curve in my hill walking career!
IMG_0498.JPG

So one by one, we bagged first Aonach Meadhoin, then Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg (the biggest) then lastly Saileag. We met very few people on the walk, perhaps they had more sense than us!
IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Nothing technically difficult on the walk, navigational or otherwise, certainly not in our fantastic conditions. Only the heat, which was in itself a danger. I was amused to find my cosy hat in my rucksack.... extra weight I could well have done without carrying, along with the gloves! However, as I am writing this report a week on, having done An Teallach yesterday..... what I would have done for that dear cosy lovely hat!! Another Story!!
IMG_0503.JPG

A welcome shower for the boys at least.....!
IMG_0467.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0507.JPG
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Two Brothers Ridge

Postby Bruno » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:09 am

Lovely to see the deck chairs!!! Every time I`ve been to that spot, its been midgie central.........!!! Lovely report and photos from one of my favourite locations!
Iain :clap: :wink: :)
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland