walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Compleating an Epic Adventure - Ladhar Bheinn - Knoydart

Compleating an Epic Adventure - Ladhar Bheinn - Knoydart

by andrewdoggett » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn

Date walked: 27/07/2013

Time taken: 12.25 hours

Distance: 36 km

Ascent: 2411m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Compleating an Epic Adventure - Ladhar Bheinn - Knoydart

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:55 pm

What a wonderful way to finish your 1st round of the Munros. Your report had me in tears, just feeling your emotion as you described so many wonderful memories out there with loved ones in wonderful places. I guess that is probably what we all have in common: sharing these awe-inspiring places, whether it be with our solitary thoughts, the magnificent wild-life or with those whom we love.

Thanks so much for sharing
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:08 pm

Wow ! Big sigh after reading that, made me think of old friends who had shared the hills with me, now sadly gone.
'There have been joys too great to be described in words, and there have been griefs upon which I have not dared to dwell'
God knows life is too short !
Great report !! :(
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Valerie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Goodness Andrew, you've nearly got us all greeting :wink: Great report and huge congratulations on your compleation :clap: :clap: :clap:
Valerie
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:59
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:92
Wainwrights:191   Islands:16

Postby lochlaggan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Great report and well done. I can feel the emotion and look forward to feeling the same when I climb this as my last munro!

:clap: :clap:
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Worth the early start for the great light, and a perfect choice to finish on. Congratulations :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby steven65 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Many congratulations Andrew - you certainly seemed to have saved the best till the end ! :clap:
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Beautifully written and photographed. Congratulations.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby gaffr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 am

Achieved in what looks like a very short time? It took me a few years longer to do the tops.....40....than is your age :lol:
A fine image of the Beinn Sgritheall area from the ridge up to Ladhar Bheinn...there are two fine wee Corbetts over there too...another adventure to follow? That is another wee adventure. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Hill-loving lady » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Valerie wrote:Goodness Andrew, you've nearly got us all greeting :wink: Great report and huge congratulations on your compleation :clap: :clap: :clap:
We are an emotional bunch...I blame Ron!!!
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Wonderfully written and some of the most stunning pictures.

congratulations and what a way to finish! :clap:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby DougieB » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Fantastic report, stunning pictures, got to be the report of the month! :clap: :clap:
DougieB
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3

Postby rohan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Congratulations on your Compleation on one of the best hills around and much better going in from Kinlochourn rather than from Inverie. I have never seen such perfect weather for a compleation, I've been on a few and its always been in clag! So congratulations for that as well. Brilliant report too which I suspect may be the winner for July.
rohan

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Well done on compleating AD :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cracking pics..Its a beautiful place and one which I will definitely return to :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Congratulations and well done. It's a great mountain to finish on but 12.25hrs for you, were you hopping round it :wink: :clap:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby andrewdoggett » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:52 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:Well done! Looks like you had a great day for it too.

Thanks bootsandpaddles - was a magic day! :D

jmarkb wrote:Congratulations! A fine day on a fine hill, too.

Thanks jmarkb

SusieThePensioner wrote:Congratulations Andrew, glad you've managed to find the time to compleat
What a beautiful day for a wonderful walk. Your photos are stunning
I felt almost sad listening to you on your videos; that this is the end of a journey for you
Good Luck for the future

Thanks Susie… I will be sad to leave Scotland but the end of journey signals the start of a new one… :D

Stretch wrote:Stunning images of an amazing wilderness area. Solitude at its finest! Congrats on your final munro!

Thanks Stretch - good to meet you in Kintail…

RicKamila wrote:Congratulations on making the 282

We're only just starting out (280 to go..) and find it wonderful to hear that even after climbing so many Munro's, people still have the same feeling as we had when we climbed our first. Absolutely loved the photos and have always loved your reports. Congratulations once again

Thanks Ric - good luck with your journey… Glad you like the reports, I’ve used many other peoples’ on here – it’s a great resource for sharing.

scoob999 wrote:Congratulations, looks like you had the perfect day for it

Thanks scoob…

Graeme D wrote:Congratulations! What a way to come home! I suspect Whiskey was there with you though.

Thanks Graeme - was brilliant… Whiskey’s always there :D

soapy27 wrote: Amazing set of photos there Andrew and what a way to finish your round well done :clap: :clap:

Thanks soapy

kev_russ wrote:Congrats Andrew. Amazing report and pics

Thanks Kev

SAVAGEALICE wrote:well done what an achievement ..great report and photos ..looks stunning

Thanks Alice, it was gorgeous :D

Bod wrote:Well done Andrew, amazing report and images, going to go read through it again...CONGRATUALATIONS!!!

Thanks Bod. It’s been great to have a drink or two over the journey…

Collaciotach wrote:Glé mhath a bhalaich agus meal do naidheachd

Thanks, I think… I’m going to need some help with translating this one, I think there’s a congratulations in there!!

skuk007 wrote:Congratulations Andrew

I've a long way to go yet but I think I can tell from your report the emotions and thoughts that must have been going through your head as you made those last steps to compleating. You did indeed pick a stunning mountain for the final one.

I remember reading a lot of the reports mentioned in your memories there, they were all pretty special.

Pressure is off now, you can pick out the best ones and do them all again at a more leisurely pace this time

Thanks… I have had some very special times in the hills… It wasn’t so bad doing this walk more leisurely ;)

wilkiemurray wrote:Congratulations - amazing hill and day to finish of your round

Great report and photos

dooterbang wrote:I was thinking of your Mullardoch round last week, I was doing a big walk in the Cairngorms in similar conditions, and was wondering how you managed with so little water, I recalled you didn't carry much. I had 8 litres and still felt i required more!!

Glad you enjoyed your journey on this Munro quest we all strive for, you certainly picked a great day...your photos are stunning.

I often wonder if at the end I will go alone or invite a few close friends...time will tell.

Congratulations Andrew - fantastic

p.s I've kept LB back, just incase

Thanks Paul… Mullardoch, we just added some descent and re-ascent to get more water… We pretty much forced ourselves to drink 2 litres at each refill point and then filled up also… So I think we went through 10 litres… (ish) When you doing M12?

Shame we never got to walk together, as you’ve done some crackers… You can do worse than LB…

morag1 wrote:Well done on compleating the Munros

I've always enjoyed your reports for the beautiful photos and the quality of the writing, hope you continue on the website, good luck with what you do now

Thanks Morag - I’ll still pop in from time to time…

The Rodmiester wrote:Many Congratulations Andrew, what a report, spoken from the heart, a wonderful record of your final munro, a very special day, one you will remember for the rest of your life. Funny you should post this as I had just found your Kintail report with Monty and really enjoyed it as I have just done the Brothers ridge and was thinking next year combine the Sisters as well. That is a most lovely walk along the Loch to Barrisdale, young deer, eagle and some stunning views in all directions, truely a special place. Now what?

Thanks Rodmeister – I enjoyed the walk, and writing the report… What next… Not sure… Something will come up, it usually does…

weaselmaster wrote:Enjoyed reading that report Andrew - many congratulations on compleation - what a wonderful choice of day and hill to end up with. Sounds like it was a very emotive experience for you too - can well understand why you might choose to do it solo.
Was just reading your report on the Forcan ridge the other day, which I guess was another special one for you, so I hope you still keep on climbing and putting some reports in now that you've made "Round 1"
Al

Thanks Al… It was very emotive… And I’m glad I did it on my own… A good chance to reflect…

Forcan ridge was a great day out – and I’m sure I’ll climb some more wee hills…

Paul Webster wrote:Many congrats Andrew - and clearly the best choice of hill to finish on

Thanks Paul – and thanks for Walk Highlands… It’s been awesome… I hope I’ve left reports for others to use in the way that I have used the site…

fipriestley wrote:Just brilliant! Congratulations Like many others I have often used your reports and routes, which have been most helpful Best wishes for the next chapter - long may you continue to enjoy the hills

Thanks Fi – glad the reports have been useful – I’ve found many other peoples’ useful also… The hills will always be a part of my life :D

Scotjamie wrote:Great stuff Andrew..congratulations. I have enjoyed the many reports...always something different in each. Not sure that even the corbetts can follow that!

Thanks Jamie… Glad you’ve enjoyed the reports… And I’ve no plans to do the Cobetts… Time for a different adventure…

davedanson28 wrote:Congrats Andrew. A truly epic achievement and a fantastic adventure, well done. I really enjoyed reading this report, full of emotion and anticipation.

Thanks… Was a brilliant adventure, and I was (I think) more emotional!

starless wrote:A brilliant way to finish, stunning pics as well, congratulations.

I think so… :D Thanks.

robertphillips wrote:Well done.

Thanks Robert

PeteR wrote:Congratulations Andrew It's an epic journey for all of us hoping to compleat and you certainly have been rewarded with a superb day on which to end this chapter of your hill walking adventures

You were surely vindicated too in leaving that final summit for a triumphant return Not only an excellent report, but a stunning set of photos too The wilderness of Knoydart hasn't featured for me yet (I've only viewed from afar), but your account here and the photos have acted as a real inspiration

Thanks Pete… Enjoy Knoydart when you get there, it’s an incredible place…

victorijarrett wrote:Massive congratulations babe...
This report had me all blurry eyed.
We've experienced soooo much in the hills and long may our adventures continue... Scotland and around the world.
As I've said before, thank you for sharing your adventure with the monsters and I, we've (mostly) enjoyed the adventure with you.
Lots of love, as always x

Thanks for agreeing to share your life with me… :D

tomyboy73 wrote:Well done on compleating Andrew, and a cheeky wee solo effort at that. Great report too, had my hair standing on end a bit

Thanks tomyboy73… Yep, I’ve done more hills solo than not, and wanted to lose myself in my thoughts… Glad you enjoyed the report

gammy leg walker wrote:What a wonderful way to finish Andrew I have always looked forward to reading your TRs and this one is up there with the very best, you brought a tear to my eye when you spoke of Whiskey he will always be with you no matter where you go in this world.

The flatlands may be calling, but remember this "The Mountains are calling and I must go" Gammy Leg Walker..

mountainscalling.jpg
The Mountains are Calling...

Thanks Willie… Glad you enjoyed (this and other) reports… I too have enjoyed your reports, and always made sure I’m not walking with you to avoid the clag haha

Was an amazing hill, and in the bigger picture the Scotland chapter of my life has just been amazing… :D

Hill-loving lady wrote:What a wonderful way to finish your 1st round of the Munros. Your report had me in tears, just feeling your emotion as you described so many wonderful memories out there with loved ones in wonderful places. I guess that is probably what we all have in common: sharing these awe-inspiring places, whether it be with our solitary thoughts, the magnificent wild-life or with those whom we love.

Thanks so much for sharing

You women are soppy creatures... :wink: More seriously, glad you liked it...

spiderwebb wrote:Wow ! Big sigh after reading that, made me think of old friends who had shared the hills with me, now sadly gone.
'There have been joys too great to be described in words, and there have been griefs upon which I have not dared to dwell'
God knows life is too short !
Great report !! :(

Thanks Spider... Life is for living :D

Valerie wrote:Goodness Andrew, you've nearly got us all greeting :wink: Great report and huge congratulations on your compleation :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry Val, not the intention... Thanks - hope to catch up with you & Bod sometime soon... Vicky is up to Scotland last weekend in August...

lochlaggan wrote:Great report and well done. I can feel the emotion and look forward to feeling the same when I climb this as my last munro!

:clap: :clap:

Thanks LochLaggan - it was emotional - definitely the best Munro to finish on haha

malky_c wrote:Worth the early start for the great light, and a perfect choice to finish on. Congratulations :)

Thanks Malky - was a day I'll not forget...

steven65 wrote:Many congratulations Andrew - you certainly seemed to have saved the best till the end ! :clap:

Thanks Steven - took the same approach with women... :crazy: :wink:

BobMcBob wrote:Beautifully written and photographed. Congratulations.

Thanks Bob, just an iPhone for the pictures... Technology is pretty good these days! :D

gaffr wrote:Achieved in what looks like a very short time? It took me a few years longer to do the tops.....40....than is your age :lol:
A fine image of the Beinn Sgritheall area from the ridge up to Ladhar Bheinn...there are two fine wee Corbetts over there too...another adventure to follow? That is another wee adventure. :)

Thanks gaffr... Was about 3.5 years, something like, not really sure... Would have to look it up...

Sabbathstevie wrote:Wonderfully written and some of the most stunning pictures.

congratulations and what a way to finish! :clap:

Thanks Stevie... Was awesome :D

DougieB wrote:Fantastic report, stunning pictures,

Thanks Dougie...

rohan wrote:Congratulations on your Compleation on one of the best hills around and much better going in from Kinlochourn rather than from Inverie.

Thanks Rohan, and agree... :D

mountain thyme wrote:Well done on compleating AD :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cracking pics..Its a beautiful place and one which I will definitely return to :D

Thanks MT... I still like the idea of a sail into Barrisdale...

Johnny Corbett wrote:Congratulations and well done. It's a great mountain to finish on but 12.25hrs for you, were you hopping round it :wink: :clap:

Thanks Johnny... aye, I was taking it easy, preparing for retirement... :crazy:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

37 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland