walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Whales of Waternish

The Whales of Waternish

by Anne C » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Route description: Waternish Point visit

Date walked: 27/07/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Whales of Waternish

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Wonderful report. Saw Minkie whales on the Ferry from Uig to Tarbet recently, didn't manage a pic however. :(
The birds certainly look like a juvenile Sea Eagle and a peregrine.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby RicKamila » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Congrats on the WebTogs voucher win :thumbup:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Lovely! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Zappasnake » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:53 am

That last picture is tremendous. Thank you for an interesting well written and illustrated post. I haunt Skye as many times a year as circumstances allow - wonderful place. My excursions are based around Torrin and alas my long distance walking & Climbing days are behind me. I haven't spent a lot of time in the North of the Island, but I'll have to after reading your report.
Zappasnake
Backpacker

Postby Morlandroger » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Anne C wrote:Thanks for all the comments!

RicKamila wrote:Hi. Great report. Want to visit there next time on Skye.

Your first Eagle I am pretty sure is a Golden Eagle, but in the second picture, going by the wings it looks similar to a Sea Eagle. Kamila thinks so too. Was it the same Eagle in both photos?

It's the same eagle.I agree though....most likely a juvenile sea eagle.The wings were like barn doors.

The Rodmiester wrote:When I went I saw nothing but there were naval excercises going on in the waters, so that might have been a reason for no wildlife activity, and also planes overhead. I bet your glad we are in the digital age and not kodak film anymore, there would have been many thrown away pictures of only the sea :lol:

Yes - several blue sky photos too, trying to get the eagle! What we did notice was that the RIB was making the whale sound from quite a distance off so I doubt the paying customers saw much of it.The RIB made a heck of a racket which clearly had an impact though the porpoises didn't seem to mind.

Thanks for the report. We visit Skye regularly (4th visit this year in October coming). You did well to see any whales with the RIB about. We know one of the locals who runs boat trips from Stein (the Divers Eye) and the RIBs are the bane of his life. He cuts his engine and drifts. I was out to the point in August and fortunately his was the only boat out so had good sightings. Lens not long enough for good shots though
Morlandroger
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:57   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland