walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair

Beinn Chabhair

Postby andyroog » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:43 am

Date walked: 30/07/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After climbing Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin four days previous I was recovered enough :D to take on beinn chabhair wanted to do this from derrydaroch route plotted in to satmap, map and compass in bag and bag packed light it was deemed a decent day weather wise so good to go :D

Started from the layby walked through the gate and followed path after a short while on my left before the wooden bridge on my right started upwards and followed it up to a barbed fence turned right and followed the fenceline to a gate well wire and got underneath and then a straight walk up,one thing for certain derry route or beinnglas finding water is not a problem its everywhere.bit boggy in places but nothing to bad

What a cracking day it was turning out to be i walked all day in dryflo T-shirt stopped loads of times for photos and views which just got better as the day progressed alot better than my previous outing weather wise i was starting to feel stronger now and the legs holding out no probs thank god .

The path is excellent all the way, up and down up and down but for me it went on a bit it seemed forever but who cares i was totally enjoying every second got to the cairn summit and sat for an hour and a half taking in the views and sharing my dinner with a crow who stayed the whole time light on conversation (Ha Ha) mind you i have had dinner with a few people like that.

I was looking across to an caisteal and ben a chroin and seen how far down you had to drop and then climb back up to reach the other side not a chance in hell for me not quite that ready but for those who have done it a big well done and for those who have done more in a day jeeees can't imagine how hard it must be on paper it all sounds easy but viewing the route is a different story all together thoughts of MountainRescue,Helicopter
and defibrillator sprang to mind even the crow could chip in and help so decided to stay put and do these on another day age and experience is a wonderful thing.

I never seen anybody at all on the walk itself, but could see movement towards an caisteal, they to must have had some cracking views as well. anyway time to kit up and go back always seems like a long slog going back that mind thing eh,about 1 mile back the heavens opened and it poured glad i packed waterproofs crow followed me back so far weird bird had a few of them in my time as well (Ha Ha) all in all what a cracking day can't wait, weather and recovery will have to see about those to things as always
some phots below

BC 1.jpg

BC 2.jpg

BC 3.jpg

BC 4.jpg

BC 5.jpg

BC 6.jpg

BC 7.jpg

BC 8.jpg

BC 9.jpg

BC 14.jpg

BC 15.jpg

BC 17.jpg

BC 19.jpg

BC 26.jpg

BC 27.jpg

BC 28.jpg

BC 31.jpg

BC 34.jpg

BC 35.jpg

BC 39.jpg

BC 41.jpg

BC 42.jpg

BC 45.jpg

BC 37.jpg

BC 23.jpg
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Re: Beinn Chabhair

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Long, long time since I've been up here and remember it being boggy - looks a lot better in your photos. Wonder if the crow was after food ? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby andyroog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks rockhopper pork pie and crisps he got not bad photos from a Samsung s2 not much zoom though
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby GillC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:42 am

Great to see this hill from a different angle. I joined it up with An Caisteal and a Chroinne from Derrydarroch end, so missed the lovely views on your approach. well done, :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland