walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A promised journey !

A promised journey !

Postby soulminer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 01/08/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As the title says -A promised journey :) I had wanted to take the dogs across the 'water' for ages, but a variety of reasons- work, weather, other walks, and of course Apathy- prevented it from happening. Time to fulfil my promise to 'ma wee dug' Arran, and take him over to his namesake- in the company of his brother Glen of course :lol:
One eye on the weather, and a day off- with a mate under orders not to do anything to damage an already ' skelpit' patella, then Wednesday it was. The day had dawned-well not quite at 0400, the logistics were-up and caffeined, dogs harnessed, bags ready, water for dogs- and me, chicken nibbles packed (dogs only) silent whistle round the neck, wallet, car keys- check!Out the door, a few barks- again, dogs only, to wake the neighbours and into the car then Ardrossan bound :D
Arrived at the car park for the ferry terminal to find no-one in residence, walked down to the booth to see if anyone was in there, no. Walked back up to my car, and spied a figure sleeping on the seat with the hood of hisjacket placed to obscure the sight of him- he has to be wakened. A few sharp taps on the window and the occupant of the booth was in the land of the living :lol: After being supplied with the required ticket, we parked. Hopped the boys over the wall for a well earned 'rest break', and back to the car for me to boot up.

Across from the car park

DSCN0374 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Time to head down to purchase our ticket. The boys had never been on a ferry, so glad they had their little walk first :wink: 0640 we boarded Eilean Caledonia- Brodick bound :) the engines kick in and Glen has his head buried behind my rucksac, and panting heavily- poor wee soul :( He was much happier when we headed up top to the bracing sea air, but Arran wasn't- this was going to upset no matter what I tried. At last time to disembark- two happy dogs :) Down to terra firma, Arran now decided to make Arran his property by peeing on it- that boy has style, :thumbup: and a large bladder :lol: Now it was his he wanted to explore !

DSCN0378 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0379 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Took the Fishermans path to the Visitor Centre, and headed up the trade route well before the hoardes the would eventually follow.

DSCN0382 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

It was a warm start, but with some shade to be had at times. The Chaos Crew were in no mood to mess about, they are always in such a hurry early on, as I tell them - Cadbury's Caramel........ :lol:

DSCN0383 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0386 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The clouds were teasing us, hugging the summit, then disappearing leaving the summit clear and inviting. A slow ascent without a break for me, just happy to plod and drink on the go- savouring the surroundings. the dogs were happy as pigs in proverbial :D

DSCN0387 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0390 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0391 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

They were scenting something today as their noses wer constantly on the go as we headed towards the ridge- spotted the object of their desire- Deer. Only a couple running slowly away in the opposite direction- obviously the Chaos Crews deodorant was inadequate for purpose.

DSCN0393 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0394 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0396 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

As I said previously the clouds were toying with us today, as we approached the crags near the summit we were enveloped. Not to panic though, as blue sky could be seen through the haze :clap:

DSCN0401 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Not long till they are starting to clear, and the summit views reveal themselves in abundance- magic !

DSCN0402 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0403 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0404 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0411 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0415 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0416 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Some deer, zoomed, from the summit

DSCN0417 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0421 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Our friendly seagull

DSCN0422 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0423 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

More cloud

DSCN0428 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0430 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

We spent about an hour on the summit, talking to arrivals, taking pics for them, and generally ' pure lappin' it up' :lol: A magic day to fulfil a promise.

Set off back down and saw the hoardes snaking their way up all along the path :) Good to be out that much earlier, only met 4 people on the summit-but there must have been around 40 on the path on their way upwards.

A last look around

DSCN0433 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0434 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Said hello to all we passed, and conversed with a few to tell them the views are amazing 8)
Arrived back down for the 1350 ferry we had seen depart Brodick on our way down :D. A fine Island I had only visited once- in 1979, a punk rock camping weekend :lol: Now with Arran having visited his namesake, I'm happy to visit again to explore the rest of its mountainous regions at my leisure.

Here are a few pics I changed slightly for effect, Cheers.

DSCN0395 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0398 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

DSCN0432 by BoydBlair, on Flickr
soulminer

Re: A promised journey !

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Some bonnie photographs

and bonnie dogs :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Bruno » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Beautiful photos - Your skyscapes are fantastic!!
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:04 am

The collies seem to be enjoying themselves - not a bad day for it either :thumbup: Hoping to get back some time - saw nothing but clag and rain the day we were up :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:03 am

wow - this is an absolute beauty Soulminer, fantastic photos as always :clap: That must have been a pleasure in those conditions, Love the 0411 shot of the 'troublesome two' on the summit :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dtr42 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 pm

looks brill .I'm going over 28th august with the glasgow hiking group were planning to do Goat Fell from Sannox so should be interesting .I hope the weather will be as good as you got.
dtr42
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland