walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleibh from the Cononnish

Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleibh from the Cononnish

Postby constantG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a'Chleibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 31/07/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1234m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For my first walk report I think this one was eventful enough, so here goes.

I work shifts and on this day I was in between the change from night shift to day shift which gave me a full 24 hours to get these two ticked off. So I finished the night shift (after a cheeky couple of hours sleep) and set off towards Tyndrum. I wanted a good long walk and although the WH route starts and ends at the car park part way between Dalmally and Tyndrum, my Munro bagging book The Munros
states that the best viewpoints are from The Cononish; well my pictures don't do it justice but the book is right, it is a spectacular walk to the base of Ben Lui.

Creag Dhubh a' Bealaich and Ben Oss

I have to say that I'm not particularly good with heights and as I got closer and closer to the base of Ben Lui it looked more and more daunting and the cloud looming over the top gave it a very intimidating edge, which had the effect of doubting my ability. To my surprise I found that when I eventually started the ascent that the steepness was actually a bit of an illusion and was fairly easy although by now the rain-cloud was on me and I had to break out the waterproofs.

So with a renewed intrepidity up I went, veering slightly off the path when I was deep within the north-east corrie but it was easy to see where on the ridge I was supposed to be heading for. Anyway path regained, and finally at the ridge I would no doubt be able to see the top shortly but the ever present cloud would not allow that, such a shame!

And that's when vertigo raised it's ugly head again. I wasn't expecting the ridge to be quite so precarious as there is no real mention of it in my book and no-one says much about it on WH. So persevering I carried on up. I thought that the cloud would have shifted by now, but no luck there and so on reaching the top this was the view:

I met schoolteacher Rob who was up from Devon for a week or so who walked down to the col between Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleibh with me, a couple, with a baby on the mans back and they were followed by a family with kids in ski suits going up the "normal way". That's when the weather cleared the cloud off the top of Beinn a' Chleibh and for a brief moment or so I could get a good view of it. This one didn't look tough at all and was a light relief for a by now weary middle-ager. I let schoolteacher Rob run off to the top and saw him on his way back down, he was on his way to his third Munro for the day (Ben Oss); good luck to him!

By now my phone/satnav/camera bailed on me (only 10% battery left, which I would need, to phone a taxi at the bottom), so no more pictures I'm afraid but as you can see from the route, I got to the bottom of the mountain and couldn't find the path leading out to the road. I spent a good half hour edging the forest trying to find the path and then noticed on the map that I had walked too far and had to retrace my steps. I eventually found the Eas Daimh and got out of there and walked straight into the Lochy to clean off the boggy mess.

Apparently the A85 between Tyndrum and Dalmally is out of range for the 24/7 Tyndrum Taxis (really from Crianlarich) and so it looked like it could be a long walk back to the car but, lo, a 4x4 drove into the car park and immediately turned to leave. So I waved it down and cadged a lift, turned out it was a couple of guys who were "working for the police" but they couldn't tell me what they were up to. If you're reading this, cheers for the lift guys! They even let me in with my wet boots on :clap: :lol:

Well that's it. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the walk and would recommend going up this way to anyone planning to climb it, but if you've not got a head for heights be aware that it's got some hair-raising moments.

CW
constantG
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleibh from the Cononnish

Postby Silverhill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi CW, congratulations on your first report! Ben Lui was my 16th munro and I was equally daunted by its magnificent appearance from Connonish when I did it. But that day Ben Lui became my favourite munro. I have fond memories of it, thanks for bringing them back. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:9   

Postby constantG » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:24 pm

I will definitely be revisiting this one with better weather silverhill :)
constantG
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Good first report, CW :thumbup: Pity about the weather but sometimes, if height is a worry, having clag around to hide it can be a benefit :? :wink: Would agree about the Cononish approach and the developing views as you get further along the road - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland