walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hods hill : After work night hill.

Hods hill : After work night hill.

Postby Frasmck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hods Hill

Date walked: 09/02/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

HILL : Hods hill. 569m.

DATE : 9th February 2010[/b]

MAP/AREA: 78. Daer reserviour, Southern Uplands.

Another week at work and another midweek escape to the hills once the exodus through the gates goes at 5.30pm. Its been not a bad winter weather wise (clear sky at nights) but last night I could see it was still daylight leaving. It looks like the night walks will be over soon for this season so need to push on with the planned ones for this winter.

Daer reservior hills I have only done during the nights after work over last winter (Donalds) and this was the last of them.(Only Marilyn) I had hoped to get some light off the moon for the loch pictures but waiting till the end of the month is pointless now with the daylight coming in.

I made it to the water treatment works with just a bit of light left over the Lowther range and got kitted up for the night. On the map the Southern upland way leaves the road from here and makes an odd detour up and round the works before heading up the hill at the loch. I had a good idea this might just be a detour by Scottish water to keep you away from their works and maybe not much of a path. It was just that with only faint sheep tracks through rough ground and the odd marker post to reassure you that this way the route of a famous long distance walk route!

Last of the light goes as I park at Daer

Heading up the hill even 200 lumens of power on spot could light up everything but the path but I soon reached a wall I had seen on Geograph and followed this up the hill.

Follow the faint SUP path.

I tried to take some pictures of the Daer but there really was little light to capture it so pushed on to the top. Near the top there were rock hard sections of neve that made for easy going and a good strong chilled breeze made for good progress. On reaching the top I found it a bit confusing as someone had posted pictures on geograph located on the wrong top. I also had a clear view with the benefits of light polution to see where the proper top was (thankfully) and made my way out there. Following a fence at right angles to the previous one I stopped at the highest point and took some pictures. I might of being wearing 2 thick fleeces and my waterproof but I still think the first one is a warning for me to lay off the curry and lager.

Fat man approaches the summit.

Lowther hill top station lights visable.

Dawn over the Serengeti. OK its Edinburgh in the distance.

A few pictures were taken before the return route out. Some of these could be much improved with an image sharpener or some software but at the moment I dont have anything but a sort of brighten slide on my laptop. Any tips on software would be gratefully received.

As things went I enjoyed the walk back out but went via the waterworks access road. (Much easier apart from the eyesore contractors compound)
The walk down just got better and better with the stars very, very bright and plentiful. I stopped and tried to capture it, it was so impressive but its difficult and just stuck the camera on the deck with a boulder. Nothing technical going here.

Heaving with stars overhead.

It was a good night walk minus the moon but hopefully the end of the month works out well. Sad when it gets nearer the end but there always the summer evenings to look forward to.
Frasmck
Mountain Walker

Re: Hods hill : After work night hill.

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Great pic of Orion at the end their Fraser :D Can see the appeal of these winter evening camps.

I've tagged your walk with Hods hill; as it is on the border but usually approached from Ayrshire side it is in our Glasgow & Ayrshire section.

Are you worried about Summer coming - you might get to walk in some daylight. :shock:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Frasmck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Its nuts how much the stars move in 30 seconds and a bit weird having to stay still that long up a hill taking a picture :D

I do have a love of night walks and for nearly 7 years now have increasingly done more and more. Doing small peaks afterwork these days makes it a bit easier to get pictures and its been a new novelty to try and figure this one out.

BTW Paul: I nearly camped up west cairn hill thinking it was the Marilyn :? I was sure I had seen it before listed elsewhere has it changed recently? (Only at the last minute I realised I was a bit off track :D )
Frasmck
Mountain Walker

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:56 am

Fortunately I climbed both East and West Cairn Hill although that was before I had even heard of a Marilyn :lol: . Anyway, here's another Orion from a late night raid on Tantallon Castle...

DSC_1036.jpg
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 pm

West Cairn hill was the Marilyn in the original book. I think Alan had missed that there was a higher point on East Cairn Hill, which has now replaced it in the list.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland