walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Biod an Fhithich

Biod an Fhithich

Postby rob munbett » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Biod an Fhithich

Date walked: 05/08/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was travelling up to Kintail for a weekend with friends at the Morvich Outdoor Centre but the weather forecast was pretty dreadful so, despite a soul-destroying drive up on the Friday behind endless chains of caravans and mobile homes, I decided that a swift up-and-down Biod an Fhithich might well be a good idea - and so it proved!
P1010777.JPG
The hill from the road (A87)
I parked in Glen Shiel as for the climb up The Saddle and enjoyed the walk up the great stalkers' path all the way to the Bealach na Craoibhe. There was a bit of a wind but it was at least dry at this point and the light was good allowing beautiful views across to the Five Sisters and back up Glen Shiel.
P1010780.JPG
The summit and the Bealach na Craoibhe
P1010781_edited-1.jpg
Looking over to the Five Sisters
P1010782_edited-1.jpg
The view up Glen Shiel
Once on the bealach, the views opened up even more with spectacular views across to The Saddle and Forcan Ridge and the view up my wee hill was pretty fine, too.
P1010783.JPG
Looking up to the summit on Biod an Fhithich
There was a faint track of sorts turning right on the bealach but that soon disappeared but it was obvious that moving across east to climb the ridge was the best bet and soon I was on quite a distinct path right up to the summit, which was quite a complicated little tangle of peaks and hollows but there was a clear summit cairn from where to enjoy wonderful views down the the NW ridge over to Sgurr Mhic Bharraich and Loch Duich.
P1010791.JPG
The view from the summit
It is well worth having a stroll around the summit areas to enjoy the various aspects, especially the precipitous views down into the glen. To be honest, this is a short, easy morning or afternoon stroll if done on its own but the rewards of the summit views well outweigh the effort required to get there.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Biod an Fhithich

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Great viewpoint this one and well worth the little detour when i did along with the Forcan Ridge. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland