walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little and Large

Little and Large


Postby mountain thyme » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 27/08/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1373m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was kindly invited by Rocket Ron to his final munro and compleation party on 27th July 2013. Speaking with Monty and Ron in the pub the night before, and as Monty is Corbett bagging, he was keen to add in Little Wyvis to the Large Wyvis :wink:
P1030212.JPG
Along the track

Started at the car park for Ben Wyvis. The car park was busy at 950am with lots of walkers gathering for Rons final munro. Said a few hellos and set off at 955am. We crossed the bridge and followed the good track heading towards Ben Wyvis.
P1030214.JPG
Ben Wyvis

P1030213.JPG
view to Little Wyvis

At the end of the forest we crossed the Allt a' Bhealaich and headed south east up towards Little Wyvis. We picked up a faint path at the edge of the forest. I found this pretty tough due to : it was a scorching day, had a few voddies the night before and was walking with an ex army man! What was I thinking! We picked up the good track to the west of Tom na Caillich and followed this for just under 1km and then headed east onto the ridge and south to the summit of Little Wyvis. We reached the summit in 1.5 hours which was good going. The SMC book states 2hours 10minutes
P1030216.JPG
Summit of Little Wyvis

P1030217.JPG
The Fannichs

From here there were stunning views of Ben Wyvis and the Fannichs.
P1030218.JPG
Ben Wyvis

Stopped for a quick summit picture and headed northeast towards Tom na Caillich and then east downwards through lots of peaty bogs and northeast up towards the 817 summit.

From here we were covered and chased by what I thought was clegs.... but Monty called salt flies. I've never experienced these as bad before.

We headed north and then northwest to pick up the ridge of Ben Wyvis. We continued north to reach the summit in 2hours and 10 minutes... where all the gang were gathered. Think Monty was last to reach the Munro :D
P1030219.JPG
The Rocket

P1030220.JPG
Group Picture

Had a few refreshments at the summit. Nice to meet everyone...some old and new faces... Well done Ron :clap:
P1030225.JPG
Looking over to Little Wyvis


We headed south along the ridge of Ben Wyvis to pick up the great path back down to the carpark .....and to continue the celebrations that evening :)
P1030226.JPG
Heading back down
User avatar
mountain thyme
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 969
Munros:35   Corbetts:196
Grahams:10   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Location: Glasgow

Re: Little and Large

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 pm

mountain thyme wrote: had a few voddies the night before


Only a few. Was nice to meet you theresa. Thanks for coming up :D
rocket-ron
Walker
 
Posts: 895
Munros:100   Corbetts:31
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:7   
Joined: Jul 19, 2010
Location: Inverness

Re: Little and Large

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:33 pm

nice one MT - looks like you all had a great time :thumbup:

mountain thyme wrote:We reached the summit in 1.5 hours which was good going. The SMC book states 2hours 10minutes
not much has changed here then eh ? :wink: - cheers :)
User avatar
rockhopper
 
Posts: 5661
Munros:282   Corbetts:152
Grahams:48   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   
Joined: May 31, 2009
Location: Glasgow

Re: Little and Large

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 am

Great stuff MT, I wanted to bag this one before we left Scotland....your pics just make me wish I'd made more of an effort to do so :roll: Sounds like a tough ascent, particularly after few voddies the night before :lol:
User avatar
ChrisW
Scrambler
 
Posts: 4938
Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   
Joined: Jan 25, 2011
Location: Cochrane- Alberta - Canada

Re: Little and Large

Postby mgmt! » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 am

Well done mt, was surprised you re visited a Munro though ? Sounds like you needed a curer !!
mgmt!
Walker
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Oct 18, 2010

Re: Little and Large

Postby dooterbang » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:43 am

The selfishness of the Corbett bagger...surely you guys should have enjoyed the walk to Big Wyvis first then went along to do Little Wyvis :wink:
User avatar
dooterbang
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1781
Munros:255   Corbetts:50
Grahams:17   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   
Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Location: Glasgow

Re: Little and Large

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Briillant to meet you at long last Theresa :thumbup: :thumbup

It was a fantastic day from start to finish, although maybe we could have done without seeing our dodgy dance moves in Scoob's video!!! :lol: :lol:

Many of your moves were appreciated by some of the young men in the room :wink: :wink:
User avatar
pollyh33
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 2531
Munros:282   Corbetts:12
Grahams:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Mar 30, 2011
Location: Rutherglen

Re: Little and Large

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm

My local Corbett... Did the little one in winter conditions a few seasons back, tested my brand new crampons on the ascent :lol: The Wee Wyvis is usually overlooked and neglected by hillwalkers, which is a shame. Glad you enjoyed it :D
User avatar
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 2677
Munros:217   Corbetts:133
Grahams:83   
Sub 2000:20   
Joined: Nov 2, 2010
Location: Beauly, Inverness-shire

Re: Little and Large

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 pm

rocket-ron wrote:
mountain thyme wrote: had a few voddies the night before


Only a few. Was nice to meet you theresa. Thanks for coming up :D


Yeah... a few doubles :wink:

rockhopper wrote:
mountain thyme wrote:We reached the summit in 1.5 hours which was good going. The SMC book states 2hours 10minutes
not much has changed here then eh ? :wink: - cheers :)
:D

Is that you saying im always fast RH ??

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff MT, I wanted to bag this one before we left Scotland....your pics just make me wish I'd made more of an effort to do so :roll: Sounds like a tough ascent, particularly after few voddies the night before :lol:


Thanks Chris.... it was a tough wee hill from Ben Wyvis side and Monty was setting the pace :(

mgmt! wrote:Well done mt, was surprised you re visited a Munro though ? Sounds like you needed a curer !!


Thanks mgmt.... It WAS my first repeat munro..... but I knew someone else who didn't like to do repeats... :wink: Think you only done 3 with me :)

dooterbang wrote:The selfishness of the Corbett bagger...surely you guys should have enjoyed the walk to Big Wyvis first then went along to do Little Wyvis :wink:


Haha.... no we started a bit earlier and took in Little Wyvis first.....We arrived on the summit at the same time as the Munro baggers did.... Couldnt of finished on Little Wyvis as we had a Party to get to :D

pollyh33 wrote:Briillant to meet you at long last Theresa :thumbup: :thumbup

It was a fantastic day from start to finish, although maybe we could have done without seeing our dodgy dance moves in Scoob's video!!! :lol: :lol:

Many of your moves were appreciated by some of the young men in the room :wink: :wink:


It was lovely to meet you Polly. I don't know about folk appreciating my moves .... I was cringing watching Scoobs video and did so with one eye open :(

BlackPanther wrote:My local Corbett... Did the little one in winter conditions a few seasons back, tested my brand new crampons on the ascent :lol: The Wee Wyvis is usually overlooked and neglected by hillwalkers, which is a shame. Glad you enjoyed it :D


Thanks BP. It is a cracking wee Corbett with stunning views on a good day :D
User avatar
mountain thyme
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 969
Munros:35   Corbetts:196
Grahams:10   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Location: Glasgow

Re: Little and Large

Postby Jimmy Craghopper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:43 am

well done terresa nice too see yourb tally adding up nearly catching johnny :lol:
Jimmy Craghopper
 
Posts: 17
Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Grahams:10   
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:1
Joined: May 3, 2012

Re: Little and Large

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice one. It wasn't Clegs, it was Montys hands. :lol:
User avatar
Johnny Corbett
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 2901
Munros:18   Corbetts:192
Grahams:153   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:246   Hewitts:1
Joined: May 14, 2010
Location: Livingston

Re: Little and Large

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Jimmy Craghopper wrote:well done terresa nice too see yourb tally adding up nearly catching johnny :lol:


Cheers Jimmy and Mo. ]ohnny noticed that ...so hes away this week to catch up :?


Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one. It wasn't Clegs, it was Montys hands. :lol:


Aye around my neck ....as I was that slow :D
User avatar
mountain thyme
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 969
Munros:35   Corbetts:196
Grahams:10   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Location: Glasgow

Re: Little and Large

Postby jonny616 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Mark M wants to know is this what you and Monty are calling yourselves, but I said no that would be rude......to Monty! :crazy: :lol: 8)

Great to meet you. 8)
User avatar
jonny616
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1509
Munros:250   Corbetts:12
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:6   
Joined: Aug 19, 2009

Re: Little and Large

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm

jonny616 wrote:Mark M wants to know is this what you and Monty are calling yourselves, but I said no that would be rude......to Monty! :crazy: :lol: 8)

Great to meet you. 8)


Nice to meet you too Jonny :)
User avatar
mountain thyme
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 969
Munros:35   Corbetts:196
Grahams:10   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Location: Glasgow

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests


Walking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk. Information on the forum and in walk reports is provided by individual users. It is each walker's responsibility to check information and navigate using a map and compass.