walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille - Lagangarbh Buttress

Buachaille - Lagangarbh Buttress

Postby gman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 05/08/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1987m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

lagangarbh curved actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Been reading Scrambles in Lochaber & decided to give Lagangarbh Buttress a go, it's the same grade as Curved Ridge so I thought it should be OK.

Was the first car in the layby although a couple of walkers appeared soon after, they were heading up the corrie so we split up at the fork in the track. It was just before 8:30 and there was low cloud/fog which meant the rock hadn't had a chance to dry out. Lagangarbh Buttress:

Since the rock was a wee bit damp I decided the best course of action would be to bottle it & do Curved Ridge instead :lol:

North Buttress with skyline boulders:

Curved Ridge/Rannoch Wall:

Met the other walkers at the top, fog/cloud was clearing now & I headed back down the corrie path. Went back for another look at Lagangarbh. Off the path & into the grass/heather first, then slabs, then made it across to the bottom right where there's a shallow gully going up to the left.

The way the rock lies, it's easier to climb up to the left then find a ledge and cut straight across to the right. Tried following the book but it's not always obvious where the 'heathery ledges' leading right are so I probably veered off course a few times, but it's not a problem. Shallow gully:

At one point I reached a tricky bit and realised I'd have to go back and try another way. Both feet choose this moment to start gradually slipping out of their holds so I looked down to see what was happening & realised there was quite a drop below. Other than that, everything was fine :lol: . There's actually good grip on the rock, fortunately.

Down to the starting point:

Higher up there's a 'dripping wall' which can be bypassed to the right:

Higher summit wall is behind it:

Again, went to the right of it where there's a stepped corner:

After the corner, there's a short scramble to the top of the buttress:

Then it's a walk round to the summit on grass, scree and rocks.

Guy with an aerial transmitting from Stob Dearg:

Wasn't planning on doing the other Munro, but it was still earlyish so headed round. Back to Stob Dearg:

Stob na Broige and the descent path zig-zagging down:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Buachaille - Lagangarbh Buttress

Postby guyincognito » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Looks interesting. How does it compare with curved ridge?
guyincognito
Walker

Postby gman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:24 pm

guyincognito wrote:Looks interesting. How does it compare with curved ridge?

Similar difficulty, rough rock lower down has more grip but the holds aren't as positive. Probably more variety to the scrambling, it ends lower on the hill though so there's more of a hike up to Stob Dearg.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Might have a wee craic at that myself :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland