walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Glansie Circuit

Hill of Glansie Circuit

Postby IainG » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Date walked: 06/08/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 769m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill of Glansie.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Date: 6 Aug 13
Time taken: 4 hrs
Ascent: 2524ft
Distance: 8.3mls

This is a excellent circular walk taking in some of the higher hills at the end of the public road in Glen Lethnot, one of the quieter of the Angus Glens. Its a route I came across in the new Cicerone guidebook, "The Angus Glens'.

Very handy for those in the Angus or Kincardineshire areas and offers some great scenery and a fairly easy going high level tramp around these rounded hills.

The start point is at the carpark at the end of the public road in Glen Lethnot, following the single track road to just beyond Hunthill Lodge to a large car parking area on the Water of Saughs.

The walk starts with a fairly stiff grunt up the Hill of Berran. The steepest part of the day, and relentless for the first couple of km's.

As height is gained, there are some great views east over lovely heathery hillsides. Clachnaben came into view on the horizon.

Looking back down to Hunthill over the heather.

The dome of Mount Keen popping over in the north.

Looking down on the Water of Saughs.

The track was then followed round to the stalkers hut at below Ruragh for a bite to eat. Nice place.

Looking back to the track Id taken from the Hill of Berran.

Looking from here, over Mount Sned to a distant Montrose Basin.

Continuing up and over Ruragh, I could see Mayar, Driesh, and Glen Doll in the distance.

Zoomed shot of Glen Doll.

Strathmore, The Sidlaws, and the Lomonds in the distance.

Some fine tracks for walking up here.

As I entered the drop between Ruragh and Dog Hillock, I startled a Golden Eagle which had been sitting in the heather, just of the track. At fairly close quarters, it looked massive. I hoped it was a Sea Eagle (two were spotted close by in Glen Doll), but it was definitely a Golden Eagle. I grabbed my camera and managed a few shots as it soared away, mobbed by crows.

The track up Dog Hillock.

And continued on to the Hill of Glansie, 726m

I continued over the Hill of Glansie to the bealach between Mount Sned and the Hill of Mondurran, then contoured down the hillside on a faint stalkers path crossing a footbridged to the farm at Waterhead and back to the carpark.

The Water of Saughs next to the carpark.

A thoroughly enjoyable day in the hills.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Hill of Glansie Circuit

Postby tdm900 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Did both circiuts up here last year couple of days apart , but totally different weather ie nice and sunny for glansie and snow for mondurran but it was the start of december , close to Brechin where i live but it was like discovering a hidden gem n my doorstep.going back tomorrow with my new walking partner, she has got her Hunt hills mixed up and thinks we are going up Glen Esk she will find out tomorrow, cheers for the report and the excellent photos
tdm900
Mountaineer

Munros:269   Corbetts:3

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland