walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wetting on Beinn Mhor an t Sluic and Stuc a Chroin

A Wetting on Beinn Mhor an t Sluic and Stuc a Chroin

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 04/08/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Loch Eireann air Di Saithrne

Bha an latha sgothach , gaoithe agus glé fluich ..... the day was cloudy ,windy and wet having got the 7.00am ferry I was on the shores of Loch Eirean by 8.30 am and headed up of the still quiet hill

DSCF7618 (640x480).jpg
Ceoach

Ach choisich mi faisg an clach ri taobh an rathad ..... I passed the MacDonald stone near the bridge ,an old tale of past deeds

DSCF7645 (640x480).jpg
Clach MacDomhnuill

Sometime around 1620, Seumas Beag Stuibhart was enlisted by the Earl of Murray to expel Clan Gregor from Glen Finglas , with the assistance of his cousin, Iain Dubh Mor Stuibhart the Stewarts were successful in expelling the seed of Alpin .

His hatred of Clan Gregor became legend and he became known as "mad major"

A commemorative stone stands testament to a raid on Ardvorlich by seven MacDonalds, guided by a MacGregor.

Seumas Beag and his men killed all seven of the MacDonalds and dragged their bodies down to the lochside for burial , many years later, when the present lochside road was being built, seven skeletons were unearthed and have since been re-interred nearby.

DSCF7619 (640x480).jpg
Air ais gu Loch Eireann

This Beinn Mhor an t Sluic was to be my 150 Munro which is no bad going since 2011 :D although with the weather today I was not hopeful of much sealladh !

DSCF7620 (640x480).jpg
Suas

The path is mainland style you could walk up this in flip flops on a good day and although I expected to see hoarde's of folk so far I had the hill to myself .

Must be the weather :wink:

Bha an t uisge a fas truim agus an gaoithe laidir ...... it was wet and very windy as I approached the top of my 150 the first wetting I have had on the hill since October last year !

When we summited the view was well .....

DSCF7621 (640x480).jpg
Cárn

Still I should not gurn it has been a splendid run of clear summits I have had since my 117 th so I do not grudge Beinn Mhor an t Sluic hiding her charms from me :wink:

I took a bearing from the carn to Stuc a Chroin, as I had no really read up on these two ,since they are so easy! so after taking said bearing I took off for Stuc a Chroin down the East ridge following the fence posts I vaguely minded reading about to follow :roll:

Should have been South simple case of following the posts the wrong way and no looking at the bearing I just took! ....... I only clicked 20mins later when the "path" ran out :D

So back up onto the wet and windy ,easy Beinn Mhor an t Sluic and West to Stuc a Chroin seeing precisely feck all on the way :)

I was soon on the bealach looking at the Creag Corrach or as you English speakers would say "the prow" :D
A very wet and slippery rock indeed so we skittered up and onto the summit cárn of an corrach taking care ,she is fairly steep and you would not want a clatter up here.

The ceo was still thick with intermittent howling wind and rain still a bracing feeling though I was not for hanging about to long once I hit the carn at Stuc a Chroin

DSCF7626 (640x480).jpg
Creag Corrach

DSCF7627 (640x480).jpg

DSCF7629 (640x480).jpg

On the way off we took good care to pick our way down the Corrach and once at the bealach again we got a glimpse back as it momentarily cleared.......

DSCF7643 (640x480).jpg

Co dhui bha sin Beinn Mhor an t Sluic agus Stuc a Chroin ..... so that was our wetting on number 150 & 151 of our turás and I refuse to use the anglicised name for her as there is no "V" in the Ghaidhlig alphabet :D

Cheerie an drasda

DSCF7634 (640x480).jpg
An Cu
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: A Wetting on Beinn Mhor an t Sluic and Stuc a Chroin

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Oh dear even the wee dug looks a bit forlorn in that! Always good to read a bit of the history of a place.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Back in the deep south eh. Good to see you got the hills to yourself. That's maybe the secret, come down on a dreekit day. :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Well done for keeping going in these conditions - interesting report as usual though - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:59 am

mrssanta wrote:Oh dear even the wee dug looks a bit forlorn in that! Always good to read a bit of the history of a place.

haha aye we have been spoiled with the weather ,back to normal now :roll:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:00 am

rockhopper wrote:Well done for keeping going in these conditions - interesting report as usual though - cheers :)

Cheers R back to Winter soon .. :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Back in the deep south eh. Good to see you got the hills to yourself. That's maybe the secret, come down on a dreekit day. :lol:

Aye surprising although saw more folk when I was going back down on the main path ,that's the deep South for you :lol: , not many left there now :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland