walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broke my Munro Cherry with Ben Vorlich

Broke my Munro Cherry with Ben Vorlich

Postby DJG78 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 22/09/2009

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wow. I have finally broken my Munro cherry. After joining your site yesterday to find out suitable hikes in the highlands the possibilitys are now endless. I now have a strong determination to complete as many Munros as possible. Ben Vorlich was a great one to start with as it was simple to find with a good clear route to its summit. It was also the closest one to my hotel which was handy!(no map needed either which was great because you can spend more time looking at the magnifcent views of Loch Earn and the surrounding peaks and vallys. I started at Abervorlich House, headed up Ben Vorlich, as your route description suggested. I must admit i was a bit fearful at times as the peak was shrouded in fog and the winds felt gale force. I was on my hands and knee's across the summit for fear of being blown off. I dont think i would venture up as high next time in those winds as no one else i passed seem to atempt it. I was just so excited and determined to complete it. I couldnt of aborted my first Munro could i!Off to search for 2 more to complete before i head home on Thursday!Bring em on!
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Broke my Munro Cherry with Ben Vorlich

Postby petejkenny » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Hey - good one!Congratulations!!
You know we've all done it but you will need maps and compasses as much as you'll need boots.
Good luck with the rest.
Pete
petejkenny

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:16   Islands:24

Re: Broke my Munro Cherry with Ben Vorlich

Postby Lifeonloop » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Ben Vorlich is on my list for this year, along with the rest of the Arrochar Munros and the cobbler in early April. I hope you had your map and compass in a bag though, As PeteJKenny says, a map and compass ( and knowing how to use it) are essential. Ive done loads of walks where I have never used the map and it has stayed in may sack , but I have also had lots of occasions where i have needed to check my route and bearing. Its very, very easy to lose your way in thick mist, even on a there and back route like Ben vorlich and in winter even more so, with another point being that if you need to call for assistance you can give a bearing to the emergancy services.
Lifeonloop
Munro compleatist

Munros:55   Corbetts:4
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:100   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland