walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 was always going to be 6

4 was always going to be 6

Postby Tomsie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Bheoil, Beinn Èibhinn, Ben Alder, Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 06/08/2013

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 58 km

Ascent: 2647m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

aldermap.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ben Alder 6.jpg

After spending a while trying to decide which hills to go for The Ben Alder range was the choice, but only the 4, leaving the other 2 for another time. Meeting at the rail crossover at 8am in Dalwhinie we were ready to go just before 8.30am and top of conversation was the other 2 munro’s would we do them or leave them, didn’t see any reports of folk biking in and out in the one day taking in the 6, until I got home and read Rockhoppers report which I had seen but never clicked on as his are normally overnight’s, Alice said we’ll see how we get on and make a decision later.

It’s a 15kl cycle in along a decent track with the forest on one side and Loch Ericht on the other, but plenty of uphill cycling kept myself going thinking of the freewheel out, passed 2 purists walking in and 2 trucks passed us, then at the loch met a group of youths probably on DofE award. Reached Culra bothy after 1hr38mins, the last part being the worst of the cycle, crossing the footbridge, sandy around the loch section and track roughest up to the bothy.

005.JPG

009.JPG

Locked up the bikes at the side of bothy, with one other bike around the back and set off up Carn Dearg finding a faint path in parts and making our way around the heather to reach short grassy section and soon reaching the top this looked a lot steeper then it was, but the cycle had the legs well warmed up. Walked onto Geal charn with lochs on both sides and watching the deer below that had being looking down at us earlier from the top, we were going a good pace had Aonach Beag done and soon sitting at the 4th of the day Beinn Eibhinn. Only one decision here and that was to take in the other 2 munro’s, so we walked over to Carr Mor to plan our path off and ascent of Ben Alder, which was more or less straight down keeping loch on left and then up cross over path back to bothy trying to pick out the grassy parts of hill just below rocky section, which we headed for, also spotting the youths pitching their tents near the river. This was steep here until it eased off to a grassy slope to top but it was still about a mile from here to summit. The weather started to change dark clouds hung about all day but we had being lucky with the views and dry day so far, but now the mist and rain was starting to roll in with the wind picking up also. Once we got to top all waterproofs were on and although eating at each summit earlier had a good bit more here to boost the energy levels. The walk to Beinn Bheoil needs extra care in poor visibility and Alice had a printout detailing this so we were able to see find our way between 2 crags and onto a path. Now the weather started to clear again giving good views out to Rannoch Moor and Loch Ericht, at a slow pace we reached the top of Sron Coire na h-lolaire and between the munro summit saw a light brown coloured bird with white circles under the wings heading towards us and then swooping back to take cover in the cliffs. After the final summit photo at the 6th of the day we made our way off the hill but not before the deer made one last apperance crossing over the bealach in front of us. Just before Sron Dreineach we descended to pick up a path which leads back to the bothy, tried to cross the river here but couldn’t find a shallow spot so just walked past bothy over bridge and walk back up.

Back at the bothy was quick as getting eaten by midges and wanting to get back to car, so no time to pop in and say hello to whoever was in there, Alice suggested we go back over bridge and take other path back to main track and this proved a good move, wasn’t long before the darkness fell and it was pleasant enough cycle back out, think 2 parts that were a bit tough, worst part was head torch attracting beasties to the light and face. Didn’t check how long it took to cycle out, but the day itself around the 14 hr mark, now just the drive home but buzzing after getting the 6 done.

015.JPG

018.JPG

022.JPG

030.JPG

034.JPG

039.JPG

043.JPG

068.JPG

074.JPG

027.JPG
Last edited by Tomsie on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: 4 was always going to be 6

Postby mrssanta » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 pm

well done that is a huge day!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Well done both of you :thumbup: It's a long walk but well worth it. I'd agree with taking the more direct path on the bike rather than round by the loch - I did it the other way round to have a look at the loch on the return leg but found it harder going - the singletrack sections on the direct path were more fun. The view of the bothy with Ben Alder in the background is one of those pictures of which I never tire - cheers :D

PS - is Alice going to do her first walk report in 6 munros time ? :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby soapy27 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:54 am

Well done Tomsie ,nice report :clap: this is how i'll do these 6
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby andyroog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am

Big efforts = Big rewards well done guys enjoyed that nice one.
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Meatball » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am

Good effort folks!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Tomsie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 am

mrssanta wrote:well done that is a huge day!

Thanks still to do at least one overnight in the hills :)

rockhopper wrote:The view of the bothy with Ben Alder in the background is one of those pictures of which I never tire - cheers :D

PS - is Alice going to do her first walk report in 6 munros time ? :wink:

I like that scene with Alder in the background.
I got in before she done it I knew how eiger she was to get first out of the way :wink:
How come you never done this as an overnighter?

soapy27 wrote:Well done Tomsie ,nice report :clap: this is how i'll do these 6

Cheers Dean long day but freewheel out makes it good option when short on time :thumbup:

andyroog wrote:Big efforts = Big rewards well done guys enjoyed that nice one.

Cheers Andy

Meatball wrote:Good effort folks!

Thanks Campbell
Tomsie
Walker

Postby ceaser » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:48 pm

im like soapy , if you cycled in and out ,and done all 6 in a day....im going to have to do it as well john :D great effort both of you :clap:
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm

well done Tomsie on writing such a good report ..as well as been top photographer for the day :clap: :clap: It was a great day ..really glad we did the 6 ..tho the last 2 were a bit more effort than we first realised lol!!!
What fantastic mountains and area ..it really has the wild factor( ...that i experienced in fisherfield ..and yet to experience in knoydart)
...and the wow factor ..cracking mountains ..lots of character ..ridges and cliffs :D
14 hours in the hills ...Great way to spend my birthday! :D

1st report in 6 munros time Rockhopper ...you never know!! :shock:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby jonny616 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Well done guys. The ascent up the 5th is an eye opener and no mistake :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Tomsie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:04 pm

ceaser wrote:im like soapy , if you cycled in and out ,and done all 6 in a day....im going to have to do it as well john :D great effort both of you :clap:

When your doing this ill do fannichs just to keep ahead :lol:

jonny616 wrote:Well done guys. The ascent up the 5th is an eye opener and no mistake :clap:

Alice had the info on this good job too as the clag was in

SAVAGEALICE wrote:well done Tomsie on writing such a good report ..as well as been top photographer for the day :clap: :clap: It was a great day ..really glad we did the 6 ..tho the last 2 were a bit more effort than we first realised lol!!!
What fantastic mountains and area ..it really has the wild factor( ...that i experienced in fisherfield ..and yet to experience in knoydart)
...and the wow factor ..cracking mountains ..lots of character ..ridges and cliffs :D
14 hours in the hills ...Great way to spend my birthday! :D

1st report in 6 munros time Rockhopper ...you never know!! :shock:

No more reports took to much time, the day was cracking and well pleased we got the 6 done, only thing missing was the cake.
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Well done to you two, great report & photo's :clap: :clap:

It makes our effort last month in doing just Ben Alder & the one next to it (can't remember the name) look like a mere walk down to the shops :shock: Having said that when we were in that neck of the woods the temperature was over 100 degrees, well maybe a slight exageration, but the sun never took a rest, unlike me :oops: :oops:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Tomsie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:15 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Well done to you two, great report & photo's :clap: :clap:

It makes our effort last month in doing just Ben Alder & the one next to it (can't remember the name) look like a mere walk down to the shops :shock: Having said that when we were in that neck of the woods the temperature was over 100 degrees, well maybe a slight exageration, but the sun never took a rest, unlike me :oops: :oops:

Cheers Fife Flyer, have being out in the heat and not easy to do a day like that in any weather
Tomsie
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 am

Well done Tomsie and Alice, that is a big round! :clap:
Hope to do those next year. Have got various ideas in mind for this, all of them involving a long day! :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Hill-loving lady » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:28 pm

A great effort both of you - that's the way to keep ahead of Ceaser, Tomsie!!!! :lol:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland